• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will an HP DV9000 Boot from SSD ?

They are hidden away on the .eu site, i didn't check the .com
    http://www.pny.eu/s/d/Downloads/PNY/

Comment

There is some voodoo here. Getting strange errors and having a real hard time installing any os. Memory tests good.

Going to harvest a hd from my daughters lappie and see how an installation goes on a new partition.

Does a regular Drive scan work to pick up errors on an ssd because I couldn't find any...

Comment

The free version of SSD life should let you know.
        http://ssd-life.com/eng/SSDLife-Freeware.html

Comment

Hey thanks for that ! Will check it out tomorrow.

Comment

There's also http://hddscan.com/

Comment

Those are for Windows installs I need a self-boot program.

Anyway I think that's not the problem. Moved the drive to the secondary port and managed a full install of Ubuntu but of course it won't boot from there. Loaded up the Live CD again and when I went back to it shortly thereafter the laptop was off. Loaded live-boot Memtest and came back 15min later and again laptop was off.

Something is seriously screwy, maybe one of the bga's needs a reflow/reball ??

Comment

Overheating problem? Is the heatsink clean?
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                  Those are for Windows installs I need a self-boot program.

Anyway I think that's not the problem. Moved the drive to the secondary port and managed a full install of Ubuntu but of course it won't boot from there.
                  you should be able to set he bootdrive in the bios.
                  unless it's one of thoe half-ass INSYDious ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                    Overheating problem? Is the heatsink clean?
                    Uh oh. WHAT heatsink ?

If I remove the access door to get to the ram and wifi card I can see the nvidia chip there. No heatsink in sight...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      you should be able to set he bootdrive in the bios.
                      unless it's one of thoe half-ass INSYDious ones.
                      There is no way to set the secondary hdd port as bootable.

Comment

The CPU\GPU heatsink. I assume it has one... most laptops have a heatsink and fan of some kind.

Laptops are more prone to getting theirs full of dust, because people use them on carpets, beds etc.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

The symptoms sound like possibly a faulty drive.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Uh oh. WHAT heatsink ?

If I remove the access door to get to the ram and wifi card I can see the nvidia chip there. No heatsink in sight...
                            Ok scratch that, it's become obvious the nvidia chip I was looking at is not the gpu.

Comment

Tomorrow I will remove the drive from the system and run the Ubuntu Live CD and see how she behaves. Also I will check the fan/exhaust.

Failing an easy fix I will look at disassembly.

Comment

Ya the boot order is very simple and does not specify booting from Primary or Secondary.

I believe this was formatted as one partition originally.

I do remember now what happened last time I messed with this. The drive was not seen by the system so I moved it to the secondary bay and that allowed me to install Win7 to it but it wouldn't boot from there. Moving the drive back to the Primary bay gives the "No OS Found" message.

Gonna mess a little more with this in a bit.
                                The point of deleting and formating all partitions is not to have the whole drive as one partition, but to remove any left over bootloader files.
                                Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

Update: removed the ssd from the system and still could not boot the Ubuntu Live CD fully. By that I mean I get to the desktop but soon after the system freezes and becomes unresponsive.

To rule out ram I used two pieces (3gb) from another lappie which is running the live cd fine. No change.

But dig this. I downloaded Lubuntu for another older pc I have and tried that out on the dv9000. Works like a champ !

I would think the Nvidia driver is the same for Ubuntu and Lubuntu but can't be sure. What do you think ?

God damn I just had an epiphany !! I would bet my left arm the system doesn't have enough memory allocated to the gpu in the bios. I will try that in the morning!!

As for the ssd I'm about ready to fire that out the fucking window.

Comment

^ both use the same driver, nouveau. unity was always crappy with lower end, or older graphics. what SSD? my compaq CQ57 wouldn't work with an OCZ, but it worked fine with a sammy evo pro.
                                    Last edited by goontron; 10-28-2014, 11:16 PM.
                                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

PNY ssd

Comment

Have you tried using something like hiren's boot cd to windows?
                                        It has a lot of usefull tools that can get your os to boot.
                                        First try restoring the BOOTMGR and the NTLDR. If that doesn't work try changing the active partitions. And if all else fails why not try installing windows from another pc, then install the chipset and sata drivers or if they can't install just place them in the windows drivers folder with some live os from hirens boot cd of through another computer.
                                        P.S. One of the tools in the live cd had an option to force boot a drive, but I don't remember which one and I don't have it with me right now to check. :P
                                        Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

I am going to keep working at it. I'm not trying to recover anything just trying to get a fresh install to boot from the primary hard drive bay. Should be a nno brainer but it's not.

Comment

Working...
                                          X