Compaq UWave Board caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compaq UWave Board caps

It does have the blue/white front and cd holder, not sure if it's a 5108 though. I don't know where to find that number. I do know that the front edge of the side panel has a curve to it, there is two 5 1/4" bays, with a couple USB ports behind a flimsy frosted plastic cover.

And they sure didn't put too much cost into that cd holder :-) And what is that little plastic piece that comes off the top of the case at the center of the front bezel? Looks like some kind of key.

Any idea how much it would cost to ship the whole case, or just the side panel? I prefer to use UPS ground since the post office here is terrible, and has no tracking for that matter.

Comment

Check dumpsters at your local college or university... the kids here throw stuff away all the time.
      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

* drools at the prospect of MORE used hardware *
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Actually MD, you reminded me - I got an uncle who works in mantenance at our local college (read: idiot rich kids whose parents pay out the arse for a mediocre education). He's keeping an eye out for outgoing computer-type junk.
          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Your garage may soon look like mine, maybe it already does. Nah, not possible.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxarcade
              It does have the blue/white front and cd holder, not sure if it's a 5108 though. I don't know where to find that number. I do know that the front edge of the side panel has a curve to it, there is two 5 1/4" bays, with a couple USB ports behind a flimsy frosted plastic cover.

And they sure didn't put too much cost into that cd holder :-) And what is that little plastic piece that comes off the top of the case at the center of the front bezel? Looks like some kind of key.

Any idea how much it would cost to ship the whole case, or just the side panel? I prefer to use UPS ground since the post office here is terrible, and has no tracking for that matter.
              First let me apoligize for not getting back, been sick, couldnt look at a computer without getting a headache. I am posting some pictures of the case. I est. shipping with UPS and it would cost you about $30.00 to ship UPS ground, the case without psu weighs 15lbs. You could almost buy a new case for that much. I agree with MD Willington, except in WV they dont put them in dumpsters they just sling em out on the side of the road. About two weeks ago I found a pc that had been tossed because of some recent flooding. It had a DFI CA64-TC board, 640 pc 133, 800mhz Celeron, 128 meg video card, 40gig hard drive, and a nice looking black case. Thanks to Topcats cleaning motherboards info it is now all back together and running a 1.2 pIII. Should have taken pictures, the poor thing was full of mud.

If you look at picture # 1 you will see that one of the side panels to this case comes off, if thats the one you need let me know. The little plastic piece that looks like some kind of key at the center of the front bezel is to lock and unlock the front cover.
              Attached Files

Comment

Computers out on the street are like stray animals, they just need a good home.
                Nice recovery.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
                  Computers out on the street are like stray animals, they just need a good home.
                  Nice recovery.
                  Thanks
                  When I first posted here 08-06-2004 about problems I was having with a Soyo Sy-7VCA-E board I was hooked. I have been reading and practicing soldering on various junk boards till I started to get the hang of it. Finally I got around to trying to fix that Soyo board, my kids needed a better pc. Its been running for 7 months every day with a p3 933, works great now. The regular posters on this site do not relize how much help they are to everyday people that just come here to read and learn. I attached a picture that I took of the Soyo board after recapping but had never posted it until now. The Wendells you see in the picture were replaced, after I took it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

thomas, is that celeron the FCPGA2 package and if so does it work?... I have a s370 board to test and I'm without a cpu for it..

Thanks

MD
                    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                      thomas, is that celeron the FCPGA2 package and if so does it work?... I have a s370 board to test and I'm without a cpu for it..

Thanks

MD
                      Its FCPGA and it posted, but its already been placed in another pc at work. Post the model of the board you have and I can see if I could round you up something.

Comment

That case looks a bit different than the one I have, at least from the front. The side panel looks the same though. Maybe I can get some pics posted.

I'll have to think about having it shipped here, like you said I could probably get a new case for about that much. Problem is, the BIOS will always say Compaq on bootup, and since I'm somewhat of a a purist, I think the case should match

On a side note, I have an old Compaq Presario 850 system (my parents' first ever PC) that has a VERY sturdy tower case which looks really close to being ATX form factor. I've thought about modding it to fit a new board, but I've been keeping it original for nostalgia. It still works like new, and I've got it maxed out at 64MB RAM, and also installed an AMD 5x86-133 CPU upgrade to replace the 66Mhz DX2.

I miss the good old days, when getting a new part for my PC meant a whole new speed rush. Getting my first sound card, getting my first hard drive after using only 5 1/4" floppies for years, going from EGA to SVGA, etc. This was back when I spent $80.00 for a used 386DX-25 motherboard, and $280.00 for 4MB of 30 pin SIMMs

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I just received an old Compaq Presario 5011R that uses the UWAVE motherboard. Man, that PC was filthy!
                          I gutted the parts (Thunderbird 1.1 GHz, 250W Delta PSU, 60Gig HD, SDRAM, opticals) and plan to toss the case...same as the one pictured earlier.
                          If you still need only the side panel, let me know, I can ship that to you, should be cheaper than a whole microATX case.
                          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

I suppose it's gone now? I still need one, but I was not aware anyone had replied to the thread...

Comment

How coincidental! Not too long ago I picked a Compaq Presario 5000 with an FIC UWAVE mainboard out of a dumpster. It had Duron 750MHz CPU (which IMO blows any 900MHz Celeron out of the water), 576MB of PC100 SDRAM, no drives, and was in pretty decent cosmetic shape (some of the cheap plastic panels were loose, but it wasn't a problem to snap them all back into place). It had a 250W Compaq-branded Hipro PSU (yay!) but when I opened it up I found a G-Luxon on the secondary that puked all over (bah!) - probably why the machine was tossed in the first place, aside from age.

After switching the power supply to a partially-recapped 300W LC-Power (*NOT* L&C), giving it some drives, loading it with Windows 2000 and installing the usual George Breese PCI and memory interleave patches, the machine works like a dream. It has I.Q., Choyo and G-Luxon caps so I don't suspect it'll stay that way for very much longer, of course. (I don't feel like recapping the board right now; I'll wait till I can get some new caps.)
                              The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

I haven't heard of these patches... where can I get them?

EDIT: Never mind, found them... I wonder how many other VIA based computers are getting tossed because of stupid problems like this. I had this problem too, with my old Socket 7 board and SB Live. Lots of crackling in the sound during games.

Worst part is, now there is a fix for it, years after I've stopped using it
                                Last edited by Maxxarcade; 04-06-2007, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X