Just recapped Gateway 310 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just recapped Gateway 310 Series

Did a recap on a Gateway 310 Series with an Intel "Thrasher" board in it. It had a 2.4GHz Celeron in it and the caps along the backplane side of the processor socket were those dreaded Nichicon HN 820uF 6.3V (can we say DELL anyone?). THe rest of the board was populated with Rubys, Nichicon HD (all aluminum color), and some Sanyo. I replaced the six that were bad and then the PSU which was a re-labled Deer showing it's typical bulging G-Luxons and squealing like a pig when powered. This box was circa 2003 and resembles the EMachines crap so much you can tell Gateway didn't make it. If people only knew Gateway sold out to Emachines.... it's like many other big name brands sold on their long standing name of yesteryear's quality now undistinguishable with the world's cheap crap once the clothing is removed. Customer is happy and the machine has it's duties back. These people had no clue about how bad these electronics are these days.

Re: Just recapped Gateway 310 Series

Hey axl, I've never heard of Emachines using Deer/L&C, they like Bestec. Gateway used ti use Astec and NewtonPower.
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Hey Chris,

Ya they may have used Bestec, but this is a Gateway that looks just like your typical eMachines inside (cheap junk). I don't go by what the label says on the outside of a PSU, which was FST or FSU or something like that. I go by what the PCB looks like. I didn't see (but I really didn't care to look that hard) the PCB marked with DEER like they usually are but the this has the same layout, cap size, cheap fan, lightweight HSs, cheap caps, and wiring layout. You are correct about your recall of the "old" Gateways PSU choice, but this is the new Gateway via eMachines aquisition that I worked on. Watch out for some in that cheesy black steel case. The owners weren't too knowledgeable being that their box didn't come with a floppy so they spent $30 on a USB model that falls off to the floor alot. I would have given them an internal for free!

Comment

Ah. By the Astec and NewtonPower stuff, I wasn't really referring to post-eMachines. About the USB floppy drive: duct-tape it to the top of the case. (: What'd you replace the PSU with?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
          About the USB floppy drive: duct-tape it to the top of the case. (: What'd you replace the PSU with?
          Duct tape...... Funny!

I'm going to catch hell over this, but I used an Allied for under $15!
          Let me 'splain Lucy: The customer doesn't speak a whole hell of alot of English so I opted for a lesser cost supply that I will monitor for them since they don't understand quality (I could explain this in so many aspects). This works out well since I have more work to do for them since they like my efficiency in "magically" repairing the MB. It's in their best interest, because the hispanics I know don't know "richard" about computers so I'm in this for the long haul.
          The PSU is suprisingly heavier than most 450W and its a 350W with a 13.8A rail, so good heatsinks and decent current output are a plus when all they do is Word and the internet. The fans (2) 80mm are actually bearing types and the caps are the CW marking with a crown on black. I have some of these PSUs out for two years now with no failures. I regularly blow them out with compressed air from a compressor not a can to keep things going. As I said, the machine will be monitored so I'll get to see longevitiy on this one. The MB is kickin' fine with the Pannys I populated it with, so all is well with another machine saved from the "Great Chinese E-Dump" we have created in someones else's country.

Comment

imho do a recapping on a board which several techs have visited previously and the next day when it boots every time and no errors you are elevated to the uber tech status. hail the computer god hehehehe

duct tape? Chris, the pros use velcro stickers.......
            Last edited by willawake; 04-21-2006, 04:29 AM.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

>Chris, the pros use velcro stickers.......
              lol, I'm not a pro. I do ghetto repairs. And I don't have any velcro stickers.

Comment

I'm with Willa about the velcro. I can't bring myself to do a ghetto repair, but hey if it works for Chris and he gets success- 'nough said. We all have to do it our own way, but it all comes back around to making the user satisfied and keeping the comebacks to an absolute minimum. We provide a useful service since most of the users I run into know the basics of an office suite and how to turn on/off the machine. Other than that they need the geeks like us. Just think we are even better in many ways than the Geek Squad. They can't do board level repairs! You'd think I landed the shuttle myself everytime I spared a user from purchasing another machine because they didn't know what was wrong. I have seen people with CS degrees who couldn't support the machines the way I do and I'm sure many of you see the same. As I mentioned about helpdesk people in previous posts- they don't know what to do other than throw parts at it in many cases. If you look around in today's society, you'll see anyone with the new "technician" title is actually more incompetent and truly less technical than they are assumed to be. Skill is a lost art so learn what you can from others. I see schools nowadays as the place to send a kid to be babysat by an adult (elementry through college). They aren't getting any smarter especially with all of the new technology in use today. Just stirrin' the puddin' again. Any comments?

Comment

Could you help me out. I have done quite a bit of home electrontic hobby work and can find my way around a soder iron so I have no fear of changing the caps on my gateway 310 thrusher intel Mo board( its a paper weight the way it is right now). I can see that the 6 (820uf 6.3 volt) caps that are along the side of the heat sink/fan are domed and thus need to be replaced but the rest of the caps on the board look ok. which caps did you replace on your board.

thanks for any and all Help

Comment

Good replacements are Rubycon MBZ 820/6.3/8 mm, Panasonic FC/FK 1500/6.3/8 mm or Chemicon LXZ 1200/6.3/8 mm.

Comment

You only have to replace the Nichicon HN series (Black w/orange writing with "HN" noted on the side). You will note there are more than six caps along the side of the CPU, but some are probably silver and look like aluminum cans with a little writing on the top where the vent is. You can leave those couple alone since they are the HD series and fair well in the environment they're in, unlike the HN series. If the area is populated with all HN series then by all means you should replace them all. You will find that on many boards there is a variety of brands placed because the picker/placer doesn't know the difference. Look around on there and you will see some Sanyo, Rubycon, and Panasonics also. It should take know more than ten minutes to re-cap and twenty minutes overall from pulling the board to booting the machine. These are easy. Also, if you have the original Gateway case, you may want to replace the PSU while you're at it since it was cheap crap in the one I did (FST brand - DEER re-labeled). Don't go overboard on the PSU since most of the high-dollar ones have as much crappy caps as the cheap ones. Good luck!

Comment

>Chris, the pros use velcro stickers.......
                        lol, I'm not a pro. I do ghetto repairs. And I don't have any velcro stickers.

just got some. i was thinking velcro was American but it is invented by a Swiss gentleman actually.

nice stuff, really useful but expensive - self gripping ties 30mm x 5m = 8 euro, heavy duty stick on 50mm x 2.5m = 17 euro
                        Attached Files
                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

IIRC the "inventor" got the idea from nature... looked at burs under a microscope...
                          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                            IIRC the "inventor" got the idea from nature... looked at burs under a microscope...
                            Yep, t'is true. Velcro is a brand name. It's called hook & loop fastener/closure.

Comment

I remember seeing a microscope image of those felt or wool like hunting pants with those burs stuck to them... I have a solar fleece jacket covered in them in the shed...
                              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvanized
                                Yep, t'is true. Velcro is a brand name. It's called hook & loop fastener/closure.
                                Hehe, Bondo.
                                Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
                                X