Auxiliary Power Supply question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary Power Supply question

I have an old cheap ps that that I converted into an aux unit to power periferals (hd's cdrom and case fans) on a server board. The conversion went ok but the 12v rails seem too low. It averages 11.29v. The 5v rails are fine at 5.34v. Is there an easy way to increase the voltage on the 12v rail? Maybe a pot or a different rated resistor?

Re: Auxiliary Power Supply question

There's a 370 ohm resistor connecting the 12v rail to ground. Would changing this affect the voltage? If so, can a pot be run on this connection to adjust voltage or do I need to look elseware?

Comment

Most power supplies regulate based on a combination of the 5V and 12V outputs. Therefore, if you have no load on the 5V side, it stays above 5V, and the power supply regulates the 12V side down to try to get the overall regulation to a point where it's happy. The fact that the 12V side is loaded only makes the problem worse. Try loading the 5V line, and I bet you'll see the 12V line come up. Also, what kind and rating of PSU, what caps does it have, and what are their condition?

Comment

Thanks for the reply AKOR. You're right it was checked under a no load condition. I'll check it with a load and get voltages. All caps 470uf and up were replaced with panasonic FM's. The 12v side is only a 1000uf 16v. I do have 1500 and 3300 16v caps but not sure if they would be overkill or possibly cause problems elseware. 5v side is 1000uf 10v. PS was overated at 450w but 200w seems appropriate.
        Last edited by Mustang; 12-12-2005, 09:36 PM.

Comment

With 2 hd's and a cdrom the voltage increased to 11.55v. Then I added 3 fans to simulate the actual load this this unit will be under. Voltages are now 11.53v and 5.24v. This within tolerance for the drives? Perhaps run the fans at 5v and just add a few more. They'd spin slower and quieter and load up the 5v rail.

Comment

11.53 and 5.24 are well within spec (10% tolerance).
            The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Yep, those voltages are within spec. Now what manufacturer made that PSU Mustang?
              My gaming PC:
              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
              ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
              PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
              G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
              TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
              WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
              ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
              Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
              Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
              Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
                Thanks for the reply AKOR. You're right it was checked under a no load condition. I'll check it with a load and get voltages. All caps 470uf and up were replaced with panasonic FM's. The 12v side is only a 1000uf 16v. I do have 1500 and 3300 16v caps but not sure if they would be overkill or possibly cause problems elseware. 5v side is 1000uf 10v. PS was overated at 450w but 200w seems appropriate.
                Is there only a single cap and no inductor on each output? If so, you should be able to put in the highest capacitance cap that will fit in each location without any trouble. The problems come if there is a series inductor. Then you have to worry about the output inductor and filter capacitor(s) forming an L-C network that is resonant at or near the switching frequency.

Comment

It's a pretty good size toroid inductor. 4 sets of legs with 2 sets +5v, 1 set +12v and 1 the -12v.

Comment

No +3.3V O/P? That's approaching ancient. Re using larger caps, both the LC and the ESR of the capacitor are important in the stability of the regulator's control loop. And in the kind of P/S that "doesn't have" an O/P inductor, in that topology, "flyback", the transformer primary functions as the "O/P" inductor.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Here's the modified unit. Since it's only using the 12v and 5v lines, I guess there's no worries about the lack of an inductor on the 3.3v side. The ATX, P4 connectors and all 3.3v lines were removed as not needed. An input filter was added, primary side caps were changed from 470 to 680uf as well as the higher value secondary side caps. Finally, a ball bearing fan to cool the unit. I think it'll work well enough as intended.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What you need to do is load the 5V side. The 12V side will have significant load with a number of drives, but the electronics don't take much in the way of 5V - try to get the total load on the 5V side up to 5 Amps or so - better to get it up to 20% of rated if possible.
                        "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine.

Comment

Originally posted by zepper
                          What you need to do is load the 5V side. The 12V side will have significant load with a number of drives, but the electronics don't take much in the way of 5V - try to get the total load on the 5V side up to 5 Amps or so - better to get it up to 20% of rated if possible.
                          Yes, from what I can read it's a case of crossloading sending the 12V line out of spec. I've seen much worse actually with certain of the very cheap, but current, Fortron ATX300 units, in which a highly overclocked K7 machine (with +5v as CPU VRM input) could result in the 12V rail soaring as high as a potentially destructive 13V.

There isn't that much though nowdays in terms of modern hardware that draw much current from the 5v - apart from motherboards and PCI cards of course, but he's powering those with his "main PSU" already.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresias
                            I've seen much worse actually with certain of the very cheap, but current, Fortron ATX300 units, in which a highly overclocked K7 machine (with +5v as CPU VRM input) could result in the 12V rail soaring as high as a potentially destructive 13V.

I have seen exactly the same issue with an very cheap FSP350THN-P OEM unit. IMHO a very decent unit otherwise. This psu comes with an 24pin ATX main conector and an 130w 5v & 3.3v rail combined power.
                            I used it testwise in an socket A board, drawing the most power from 5v rail for a couple of days. Iwas glad, that my old Maxtor 6Y120L0 had not been blown up at that high voltage (they are prone for that....).
                            In generall, i never mind those problems, as i may be used that unit out of spec. But i have expected, that the overvoltage protection should kick in a little earlier. I locked at the datasheet, and AFAIk they stated a probably daedly high voltage of about 14v as the point, where the protectin will shut off.

Comment

You can add a load to the 5V side, OR you can hack the feedback circuit.
                              The feedback circuit's reading of the 5V rail is causing the 12V to be too low, if you cause it to think 5V is too low, it raises 12V without the extra real load or heat from more loading. Key is to not keep any equipment hooked up while testing so nothing is subjected to trial voltages.

Generally you'd put resistance inline or after a resistor and before the controller, a pull-down resistor to ground. Not having your schematic or unit for measurements I can't suggest a value resistor to use.

Also, 13V is not "potentially destructive". Parts using 12V are far more tolerant to an extra volt than something running off 3.3 or 5V would be, after all it's only 8% higher than the ideal value, though it'll make any fans which were somewhat loud, noisier still.

Comment

Working...
                              X