Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

I do see a lot of failed panels still TBH, Especially when looking around the area for sets on local sites... Samsung panels! I don't touch them so can't say the causes 100% but most likely water damage to the tabs as they are bottom mounted on newer designs to alleviate heat issues

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
      I do see a lot of failed panels still TBH, Especially when looking around the area for sets on local sites... Samsung panels! I don't touch them so can't say the causes 100% but most likely water damage to the tabs as they are bottom mounted on newer designs to alleviate heat issues
      We're fairly new to LCDs in our household, and I do most of the cleaning (being as her indoors is rubbish at it), but I did decide recently to give the wife "the talk" about not spraying anything directly onto TV screens, and that if she was tempted to use a damp cloth to make absolutely sure it was barely damp and not in the slightest bit "drippy".

Comment

I use IPA to clean my screen I have gallons of the stuff as I do BGA reworking. It insta evaporates and leaves no residue.

Mrs went to copy me once.... Luckily I was there as she went to clean it with MEK!!! :S

Comment

I tried to use ipa but mine always leave streaks so I just stick to grundig brand lcd cleaning stuff lol
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Be very careful with cleaning stuff on plasmas - a friend of mine had a 6th gen Pioneer and they use the wrong cleaner, damaged the antireflective film on the glass, result is there's a part of the picture left of centre that's brighter than the rest. Doh!
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have never had any issues with IPA myself

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                Be very careful with cleaning stuff on plasmas - a friend of mine had a 6th gen Pioneer and they use the wrong cleaner, damaged the antireflective film on the glass, result is there's a part of the picture left of centre that's brighter than the rest. Doh!
                Lol ohh dear, luckily I only used it on an lcd
                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Update its now Vestel by a long shot been repairing a tonne of them lately.

Comment

Vestel have taken the lead due to their crappy Led Tv's failing almost half of what I have done is them. After Ves Id say Lg then Samsung tbh.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have to say Vizio I see the most. Every bloody one of them the mainboard dies, usually the eeprom chip. I even have a jvc that I think is a rebadged vizio and same thing bad eeprom chip. It bears a very striking resemblance to a Vizio.

The worst was a 21" razor edge lit Vizio. Selling for 225 at Walmart a few months back. Lady turned it on 7 times in 2 months. Bam stuck at the Vizio logo, bad eeprom.

Sold it to me for 20 bucks even know still under warranty. I bought the 15 usd eeprom chip, fixed it, and resold it.

The off brand Hisense, Emerson, etc with the combo power/main led tv I see a lot of those.

Last on the list is Dynex, Best Buy brand. Not sure who makes them, but see a lot of failed panels.

Comment

Not to open up an old thread but I'm curious, what makes some brands worst than others exactly?

If is the over all circuit board design or the individual components? I feel the components aren't as crucial as say the circuit design ie better filtering, smoother output voltages, less stress on transistors etc?

Comment

My experience is the brand reliability is defined by how many fail. New TVs are failing more around here more due to broken screens that failed electronics. Small bumps are breaking 50 inch and above screens really easily.

If you look inside the latest models, they have all gone for minimal structural support of the screens (weight) and more complex single chip boards. I have two LG 32 inch 720p LCD screens that weigh over 25kg each (cannot give them away, don't want to chuck them, nothing wrong), compare that to the current 32 inch LCDs under 3kg. The metal supports in there are numerous and thick. Complexity of the circuits seems to be decreasing, but this is due to both complexity of individual parts going up and the load requirements of power supplies becoming less.

More and more BGA parts, integrated TCONs on panels and boards that don't run for any obvious reason (bad eeprom settings, bad flash or micro code) are on the increase and these are proving difficult to cure.

Looking around my workshop, I see many boards that have soldering hassles under hot BGA chips causing a lot of LG problems. Fixing these is dubious because just reheating them does not permanently cure the original fault which is thermal expansion and contraction problems between the PCB and the chip. You need to remove it, clean the solder and use new solder balls - not a job for a hobbyist or small repair shop because each chip has different layouts, you need masks for each and BGA heating tables to do it right. Many boards have parts on the other side of the PCB under the BGA, making that fix difficult even with the right equipment.

Comment

Vestel chassis make up a larger proportion of the television part of repair work that comes through my workshop, that said televisions make up around a third of the repair services that I offer.

Rework of BGA / FBGA via re-flow and or re-balling tends not to offer a long term repair as the failure mode is often the eutectic bumps within the packages themselves where cracks initiate and propagate through the intermetallics and at the intermetallics/solder interface rather than the solder-balls. The only 'reliable' repair option for these failures being device replacement assuming the components themselves can be sourced.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by llonen; 11-20-2017, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Learnt something new today. The inter-layer connections in the BGA chips themselves can be faulty. Heating the package only temporarily cures them as well (maybe). Eutectic tin/lead solder bumps.

We've had good results with the BGA problems by not allowing the chips to get that hot again, putting in active cooling. Usually PC video card heatsinks and fans thermally bonded to the processors, especially since the LG 560 and 650 series Tvs.

Comment

#1 samflung
                                #2 vizio

Comment

Here is my short list:

Westinghouse ltv-32w1
                                  Vizio GV42L
                                  SONY KDL-46NX800
                                  Samsung LN52A630M1FXZA
                                  Protron PLTV-3250
                                  Philips 32PFL3504D/F7
                                  Viewsonic n2635w
                                  Olevia 237-T12
                                  Samsung PN63B590T5FXZA
                                  Magnavox 40ME324V/F7
                                  Magnavox 32MF231D/37
                                  LG 47LC7DF

Funai is in the lead!

Comment

This picture should also be here I guess
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                      Generally found Samsung to be the worst, off-brand next, then LG/Panasonic/Sharp/etc.
                                      I repair others more, but only because I actively seek them out.
                                      Hi I have a sharp tv model ic52d77x that when I turn it on it runs for a minute or so then turns off ( no power light or flashing light) after a couple of minutes it will turn back on by itself and start the whole process over. When it turns of there is a loud click like a relay turning off. Have you came across something like this before?

Thanks
                                      Jeff

Comment

Hi I have a sharp tv model ic52d77x that when I turn it on it runs for a minute or so then turns off ( no power light or flashing light) after a couple of minutes it will turn back on by itself and start the whole process over. When it turns of there is a loud click like a relay turning off. Have you came across something like this before?

Comment

Check D155 Zener on the Key Unit.

Check the stability of the 5 volt standby regulator (the high voltage switcher).

Comment

Working...
                                          X