Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great Capacitor Showdown - Rubycon vs Panasonic vs Samxon

Originally posted by Topcat
    I'm actually leaning more toward Sanyo WG's over Nichicon's. I don't have a source for them though....
    I may supply you the samples of Sanyo WG for your testing. Now, i am asking from my friend. Wait for my update information.
    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
      I may supply you the samples of Sanyo WG for your testing. Now, i am asking from my friend. Wait for my update information.
      Awesome Joe, many thanks!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

That modded BIOS logo & id string is a nice touch TC!
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Originally posted by trodas
          Well, yes. Sure they are RAID ports, and they are (with the chipset that control them, clearly marked...) on all mobos. However my question was why these colors aren't identical (as they usualy are) or and if these mobos are the same HW revision of the PCB
          The bottom line of course is, that different mobo revision could have some impact on the test. Probably low, but... who can say that for sure? We don't even know if the impact would be good or bad...

Sure, with limited resources and so on, we probably can't get ideal testing, however we should try our best, should we?

After all, we should stuff this one with Nichicons, where we can afford some uncertainity, and not Rubycons to get at least the comparsion with Samxons and Rubycons straight as much, as we can
          As i know Abit KT7/A/RAID (PCB Ver1.0 ~ 1.2) are same, no difffernt. Abit stated that it can support Athlon XP snice PCB Ver1.3 or above officially.

Comment

Originally posted by nsx29
            There is something that i do not understand about samxon caps. Looking at a lot spec. pdf, japanese cap manufacturer (nichicon, chemicon, panasonic) don't seem to make 8mm diameter 1.5cm tall 1000uf 6.3V caps only 820 uf.

So I wonder if samxons are over rated in some way.
            Acataully, Samxons are also have 820uF 6.3v D8x12mm.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ohh, and I want to take a second to thank Wetback for donating his spare KT7R with bad caps, which gave us a four way competition instead of just a three-way!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Thanx. Big Pope clearing things up.

Any results as of yet?

Comment

A BIG applause for 4th testing board - THANKS Wetback !

...and I would love to see Nichicons out there tested, expecialy the HD/HZ ones... So, if anyone can get them to the test instead of the Sanyo... oh, well, I'm dreaming

...maybe 5th board with them? But who can obtain these? yanz?

Big Pope - neverless, I would still love to know the PCB revisons. Topcat...?
                  "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                  "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

about sanyo wg, my kt7 already populated with them, beside that samxon caps on the input vrm.

what, nichicon hd? i have them on my asus CUSI-M, still runing great altough there are some black ost mixed in the area. i leave them as it is. finding the hd is impossible it seem, the market here already choose PW and HE, nothing more from nichi's. seeing the hm/hm in the test would be very interesting though

what about taz & rainbow, iirc they have a kt7/r. but i suppose those four board in the test is enough for now. maybe i want to see two board with samcon caps to make sure. (but maybe that just i that love to double everything )
                    Last edited by yanz; 08-04-2006, 11:27 PM.
                    days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Thanks for the thought yanz, if I still had either of the boards TC would be welcome to them, but they're long gone now

LMAO I kept the BIOS chips & jumper clips as momentos
                      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

yanz - my two Sapphire Grouper mobos are full of the Nichicon HD ones (and two HZ + four Oscons )
                        Therefore there must be a way to get 'em - Sapphire has to bought them so the production must run, so there must be leftovers for sale

tazwegion - sadly they are gone now... Oh, well.. Maybe someone else? Come on, guys. This is historic chance and these mobos aren't worth even the postage, hehe
                        "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                        "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

I was able to obtain HD samples earlier this year, so AFAIK, HD is an active series.
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

And could you repeat that, by any chance?

Comment

Once again, Joe (Big Pope) came through again. Another forum member (Wetback) donated a KT7 to the project, to make it a 4-way competition. As the fourth capacitor contender, I decided on Sanyo/Nippon WG series caps (another personal fav of mine). When I mentioned this earlier in the thread, Joe indicated he had a source for them, and would donate some. As always, he came through with his promise, and they arrived in the mail on Monday. Once again Joe, I personally wish to thank you for all your efforts and contributions with this project!

I also have another very generous contribution on its way, and I'll post that information when the items arrive. This project will be launching fairly soon I hope, I still have a few things to round up, but we're almost there!!!

Once again, thank you Joe!

Here's some pics:

Attached Files
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Very nice - a big applaud to Big Pope as well, as Topcat for recap work.
                                Any answers to couple questions of mine, Topcat?

Sanyo WG aren't any great specs caps, but maybe they hold pretty well?

Sanyo WG 1800uF 16V - ESR 0,012 - ripple 2800 (4 000 h) 10x23

Come to think, that Chemi-con KZE caps has similar mediocre specs:

Chemi-con KZE 2200uf 16V - ESR 0,018 - ripple 2770 (5 000 h) 12,5x25

And they are on stock in digi-key as well, as Panny FM ones:

Panasonic FM 2200uF 16V - ESR 0,015 - ripple 3190 (7 000 h) 12,5x25

Since at first it was a Rubycon, Samxon and Panasonic and then we added this Sanyo WG - then might we as well add the Chemi-con KZE ones?
                                Just find another Abit KT7-R board and 5-th way? Perhaps?
                                I just wonder how nice the Chemi-cons are.
                                More that willing to donate them - eg. pay for donating them from digi-key - but who can donate KT7-R board?

Comment

Topcat - why you not change small craps? Two are between AGP and memory slots and one near CPU socket

Do you install caramics caps under socket?
                                  Honny & -HoNY- not brothers, but friends who lives in same town

Comment

Originally posted by trodas
                                    Since at first it was a Rubycon, Samxon and Panasonic and then we added this Sanyo WG - then might we as well add the Chemi-con KZE ones?
                                    Just find another Abit KT7-R board and 5-th way? Perhaps?
                                    I just wonder how nice the Chemi-cons are.
                                    More that willing to donate them - eg. pay for donating them from digi-key - but who can donate KT7-R board?
                                    If someone wants to donate another KT7-R to the mix, and you're willing to donate the caps, I'm game for adding contender number 5. I've had great luck with WG, NSRZ, and NSRY Sanyo/Nippons in the past, they've proven to be solid, so this was a good match IMO. Chemi-con's would also be a good test as well, if another KT7 and the caps can be tracked down before the actual experiment begins.

Originally posted by -HoNY-
                                    Topcat - why you not change small craps? Two are between AGP and memory slots and one near CPU socket

Do you install caramics caps under socket?
                                    I never replace the tiny little critters, there's rarely any need, as they are not prone to failure. On occasion, I do replace caps below 1000uF, when they're known brands and values that fail. For example, I always replace those nasty Choyo 330uF 25v caps that gigabyte is notorious for using, I've seen those fail on MANY occasions. I also replace Lelon and Teyah 470uF caps, as they go frequently as well, and MSI seemed to use those a lot. Otherwise, its not necessary to replace those tiny 100uF caps, as their failure rate is pretty much non-existant.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

I've never seen these small (<330uF) caps bad on a board. The only exception is MSI with their tiny SMD electrolytic caps (10uF and 47uF).

Comment

TC,
                                        If you need another MB+CPU let me know. I have an ASUS A7V gathering dust on my table. I could send that out for you to recap and do whatever you please with it.
                                        Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                                        Zippy GSM-6600P
                                        Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                                        Abit IP35Pro
                                        ATi HD4870

Comment

i think some chemicons would be nice to try.

i really like chemicons because they perform well but cheaper and easier to get than rubys and nichicons.

BUT:

unless these boards are all run with the exact same psu, with exact same componets and settings, the results will be almost completely useless.

as it is there are a large amount of variables that dont seem to be taken into account here, which will void all results.

so unless you will be using the same psu for all tests, and same componets, the results will be skewed. even the age of the psu will matter as their perfomance decreases with age.

id say your best bet would to create some other sort dedicated pcb design, maybe with identical resistors and diodes to create the load, and then have it all powered by a single molex, that way the caps all have equal chance and it will limit the variables making your results MUCH more controlled.
                                          Specs
                                          DFI AM2 LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
                                          X2 3800+EE AM2
                                          2x1GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC
                                          XFX 7900GS
                                          Maxtor 6L250S0
                                          Maxtor 6V300F0
                                          Western Digital WD2500JS
                                          Mushkin HP-550(Cap/Filter Modded)

Cooling
                                          Swiftech Apogee
                                          Swiftech MCW-60