This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

What's that case mounted transformer for in the PSU?
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

@ Gianni: my Compaq Presario (K6-II 333 MHz and full integrated board) has a Hipro PSU with an unusal shape and a proprietary connector (seems 3 AT connectors all in one) so it can't be replaced like in your Scaleo. Main difference is power: only 75 W. When I put a CD-RW, sometimes it hanged at boot or didn't recognized the drive due to excessive power draw

Originally posted by Krankshaft
      Maybe the PFC coil?

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

Like zandrax wrote it is the PFC coil.

This evening I was in my garage while I was modifying my father's DVB-T receiver so I had the camera with me and I took 2 picture of a special PS I built it in '96, it has 2 outputs: 25V 2.5A and 13V 2A.
        The most expensive parts were the 2 digital meters.
        The voltage and current regulation/measurements are obtained by LM324.
        The output power is regulated by PowerMosfet.
        The voltage regulation has 2 potentiometer, one is for fine voltage tuning.
        For the current I added the switch "IR": this switch shut down the output when the current limitation triggers and re-enable the output trough a soft-start after 20second. I used this function when I did some works at home just to avoid to burn components or tracks.
        On the rear I had placed and HS and a FAN that start only when the temperature on PowerMos reach 70°C. If the temperature exceed 90°C the PS shut down till the temperature fall to 70°C ( IIRC).
        Somewhere I have the electrical diagram, it is on paper because I had never time to draw it with Orcad.

I bet that if it breaks I'm not able to repair it because inside there's a chaos of wires and componets
        Maybe someday I will open it and I show you how insane I was 12 years ago

Ciao
        Gianni
        Attached Files
        "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
        H. J. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
          250W Channel Well CWT-250ATX, approximately 12 years old. This PSU is so old, the 92mm fan blows into the computer case instead of into the PSU.

Primary caps are 470uf Matsushita, secondary side is a forest of Fuhjyyu... not one appears bad. This PSU was in regular use up until a month ago.
          Actually, the PSU fan blowing into the case is the configuration my Fortron FSP500-60GLN(80) has.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

ooookay... as i can't go to bed (-> see here why) i'm gonna fight against those stupid BB-Codes... err.. i mean... i'm gonna show a few pics of 2 PSUs i got on ebay for less than 8€ (= about 10US$) per PSU incl. shipping..

Click on the preview pics for full size (1632x1224)

Fortron Source FSP250-60GTA (250W with 4pin P4 plug)

2x Rubycon for input and various Teapos for output (everywhere.. none of them bulging yet, but i'm going to recap it (and clean it ) just to be sure... should last a while with new premium caps)

oh.. and a few (2 or 3) tiny Fuhhjywhatever here and there

huge and heavy passive PFC transformer screwed onto the top cover..

Cost: 1€ + 5,90€ shipping (= 6,90€ = ~ 9,28US$)

note the unusual fan grill.. i don't really like those because they block more air than they let through... i thought about cutting it out with my dremel and putting one of those on there instead..

Delta Electronics DPS-350TBC Rev. 02 (350W with 4pin P4 plug and SATA plugs)

this one is kinda special... came out of a brand new HP/Compaq ML110 Server. was too weak to power the Server fully loaded with
            tons of HDDs and stuff so the guy replaced it. no dust at all.. was running less than 1 day..

very heavy and well built. looks more like a downlabeled 400W unit.

seems like it has an Active PFC (the upside-down PCB next to the fan)

1 Nippon ChemiCon for input and tons of NCCs and Rubycons everywhere else (NCCs and Rubys really everywhere... no other brand at all )

note the additional orange 3.3V wire for the SATA connectors
            and the (unfortunately) really short ATX and P4 plug wires :/

Cost: 3,72€ + 3,90€ shipping (= 7,62€ = ~ 10,24US$)

handy dandy U-style top cover.. really easy for soldering or recapping (allthough i never needed to recap one of those.. lol )

if you need the cap values, just send me a PM or post here. i just put them away already... without writing down the cap values

edit: apologize for those not that good pics.. took them with my mobile phone, which doesn't always focus on what you want to focus it on :/
            Last edited by Scenic; 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Nice ones, Scenic: the Delta is the best purchase, cheap and new, it should be able to power almost any new computer; once cleaned and recapped, the Fortron is enough for a low loaded pc (with only 13 A maximum on the 12 V line, I expect it to power a Core 2 with a low/mid end graphic card but no more).

I agree with the Dremel affair on the Fortron: the fan is a 80x80 and killing airflow with such a cheap grid is a real pity. Check if the fan needs to be lubed or to be replaced.
              For the Delta you can buy extension cables for a few euro.

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

Hi Scenic. Nice finds. One of my hobbies is to visit the computer parts section of the local version of ebay (deremate.com). I always supposed people just wouldn't part with their hardware when the auction ends at such low prices. I usually don't even participate in these auctions because of the hassle involved in failed transactions, since deremate.com gets involved and conducts an investigation to determine whether the operation did actually took place. It consists on a couple of emails that needs to be answered in a certain timeframe, and if you don't answer them (which I did one time I wasn't checking my email box) they decide you are the one to blaim, give you a "negative user point" and proceed to inform you that you can only have about three of those before they kick you out of their system.
                What is your experience regarding sellers and this kind of bargains? What would you say is the percentage of them that actually concludes the operation?
                Last edited by jpdoe; 10-17-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I recapped a SMPS on a PC that had non problem with hardware, a person just asked me to reinstall everything because he had some virus running on it.

I have not seen badcaps on the MOBO, but since I have found this lovely forum, I have learned to lokk inside SMPS so I opened it and I saw a bulged cap on 5V STBY.
                  All other caps were looking normal but they were all J.J caps rated at 85°C.
                  So I replaced them with Panasonic FM as precautionary measure.

What surprise me is that there were two flying inductance: they cannot fit into the place on PCB so the manufacturer has glued them on the transformer and on output cap.
                  I don't understand why they draw a 10mm inductance on the PCB and than they use a 30mm toroidal inductance...

Anyway after recap the SMPS and reinstalling Win everything was OK.

Ciao
                  Gianni
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Gianni; 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM. Reason: Typo
                  "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                  H. J. Brown

Comment

This psu is not recommanded.

11A on 12V is very low.

And flying inductors screams louder "garbage!".

A good PSU had rod or bobbin inductors right on the PCB with caps between it.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

@ Wizard: you are right, this PSU is not a good one but it was on the PC since 2002 (I think so) and I think it does not make sense to replace it on an old Asus MOBO with Athlon 1.2GHz, at least until it doesn't give stability problem.
                      I have replaced caps just as precautionary measure.
                      If the MOBO was a new one for sure I suggested to the PC owner to replace it.

Ciao
                      Gianni
                      H. J. Brown

Comment

Universal notebook computer adaptor, model YTT-100W.
                        All caps 105C.
                        LTEC TY Series 100uF 450V primary.
                        Samwha RG Series 47uF 50V PWM controller filter.
                        Samxon GS Series 1000uF 35V before output inductor.
                        Nichicon VZ Series 470uF 35V after output inductor.
                        Soldering is a little sloppy, but not too bad.
                        Attached Files
                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
                          Universal notebook computer adaptor, model YTT-100W.
                          All caps 105C.
                          LTEC TY Series 100uF 450V primary.
                          Samwha RG Series 47uF 50V PWM controller filter.
                          Samxon GS Series 1000uF 35V before output inductor.
                          Nichicon VZ Series 470uF 35V after output inductor.
                          Soldering is a little sloppy, but not too bad.
                          What's that selector switch for variable voltage output for different brand notebooks?
                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

What's that selector switch for variable voltage output for different brand notebooks?
                            It seems that to me. I have a similar design psu but with crappier caps and a round voltage switch: I should post some photos ...

Zandrax
                            Have an happy life.

Comment

a power golden deluxe "480w"pile of shit.
                              logo was changed recently to fool the unwary.
                              but its the same junk in a pretty case.
                              note the 300w rating on the transformer.thats even a stretch.
                              it went straight into the trash after i took the pics!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by kc8adu; 12-16-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Yesterday I was browsing the hardware stuff in Value Village (sometimes you score good stuff), I saw a generic brand golden PSU, two 80mm fans one on top and one at rear. Ew, why one want a GOLD looking PSU? :P

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

@ kc8adu: It looks like a Powmax/Leadman. First thing that gives it away is the bridge rectifier - powmax/leadman always mix diodes. In your case, it seems like a mix of 3 amp and 1 amp diodes. I have a Powmax LP6100D with a mix of 6amp/3amp diodes (since it's supposed to be "500" watts). The controller/pwm layout also seems very similar to my Powmax. Lastly, you have the voltage switch mouted on the front of the PSU. I bet the fan is Yate Loon too.
                                  Overall these units aren't that bad, at least not for old PII/3 systems. Mine worked for 5 years, 2 of which were with bad caps and it didn't explode. It still works, but it needs a recap. Yours, though, has tiny heatsinks, tiny transformer, and is missing all of its input filtering. Probably not safe to use.
                                  And why would anyone use dual-fan design? Personally, I think it's ineffcient for cooling the PSU.

Comment

Been a while since I contributed anything to my own thread... so I'll pop in for a bit.

FSP Group FSP300-60GLN

This is the first FSP supply I've been disappointed in, barring the one that came DOA and caused some headaches. The unit is working fine, but look at those crap heatsinks!
                                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Enlight HPC-300-101

Top down, after recap.

Works great after getting the junk out of there.
                                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                        @ kc8adu: why would anyone use dual-fan design? Personally, I think it's ineffcient for cooling the PSU.
                                        maybe to delay its death till the warranty expires?
                                        or to give an excuse to put more pc ricer bling on it?(gold fan grille)

Comment

I guess it's a product targeting the "more is better" crowd

Comment

Working...
                                          X