Vizio GV42L Turns On then Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio GV42L Turns On then Off

My Vizio GV42L 42" LCD Flat Panel TV is exhibiting a common problem described in many forums. Orange Vizio logo changes from orange to white when turned on along with click, screen gets to blue screen for 5 seconds, but never shows picture, then turns off. Previous to this event, TV took a long time to turn off, maybe 20-30 seconds. With Comcast DVR cable box, for a long time would not display picture until cycled 1,2 or 3 times.

I work on PC's, so not afraid to do work myself, Seems like replacement part choices are the 2 10V capacitors, the power supply board, or the main system board. Any experts out there with an opinion as to what has failed?

Anyone concerned with buying a refurb power supply or system board via eBay? Obviously it's a chance, but those sellers with 30 days DOA policy offer less risk. Obviously replacement caps would be purchased new.

Thanks to all with their thoughts and opinions.

Re: Vizio GV42L Turns On then Off

take it apart and look man.

My vizio had about 8 bad caps on the power supply.

so its worth a look man

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlson11 View Post
      Previous to this event, TV took a long time to turn off, maybe 20-30 seconds. With Comcast DVR cable box, for a long time would not display picture until cycled 1,2 or 3 times.

Anyone concerned with buying a refurb power supply or system board via eBay?
      It sounds like potentially bad caps. Take it apart and take a look.

Buying a refurb might come with crappy caps. If you recap it yourself, you are assured high quality caps like Panasonic, Rubycon, etc.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the posts. I opened the back panel and closely inspected the power supply and system board. Could not find any bubbled or blown caps - they all look pristine. I realize that a cap may not split the top and "explode" but a bubble on the top of the cap is obvious - right. All caps look pristine. No burnt resistors either.

The fuse next to the power connection on the power supply board is opaque (white) so I can't see any damage. I assume that since the orange Vizio light comes on, the fuse is good - correct?
        Any other ideas? Thanks.

Comment

1) Post clear focused pictures using the manage attachments button after reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

2) Please do not post pictures inline as they slow down the loading of pages.

3) For best picture quality and clarity take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focused pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

4) Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

5) Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

6) You can use a hair dryer to heat up the caps (carefully). If the TV starts right away, you the problem is capacitor related. As heat rises, the cap's ESR drops.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I had a Vizio 37 Lcd that did the same thing...it ended up being the main logic board.

Comment

I have had the same problem - exactly as bcarlson has. This thread is old and so I'm sure you've found a solution to the problem but if anyone else has this problem, maybe this will help. My husband called the Vizio tech support 949 428-2525 and the tech walked him through solving the problem. Although it didn't work when she walked him through, he tried it again a few hours later and lo and behold(!!) it worked. This is what she had him do: Take out the batteries in the Vizio remote control. Press every button on the remote control. Put the batteries back in. Hold down the Input (under the #7 button) and the Menu buttons at the same time and while still holding them down, press the power button on the remote control. When the TV turned on, it worked. She had him try many things, so I'm not sure if the other things had something to do with it, but give the Tech support a call. It can't hurt. It was free - our Vizio is out of warranty. Hope this helps!

Comment

Have you found a solution to your problem? I have the same problem, and have read every thing I can find and I don't know what to do. I am not an electronics guy. But I don't have the money to replace my tv, so I was hoping to find some help here!

Comment

You can greatly improve chances of a successful repair by posting pictures of your TV's chassis layout and of each part.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Running into the same problem. Checked all caps on power board - thought a few might be bad so replaced with new. Same results. Logo lights orange to white. Blue screen appears and says "No Signal," then about 4 seconds later turns off. Tried suggestion about pressing input and power - powers up to input screen with various components, but then turns of after about the same length of time. Glad to post photos, but must be some sort of relay turning TV off. Thanks for any thoughts.

Comment

Just to be sure it is not due the TV does not see video signal so it goes into standby mode, try feeding it with DVD or video source to see what will happen.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I had a Vizio plasma that would show "No Signal" for a few seconds when first turned on then it would turn itself off. If I remember correctly, it would always do this when "RGB" was the last input selected before I shut it off. It took a few tries, but I finally got it to switch over to HDMI or some other input to keep it turned on. Weird.
                        Last edited by capkid; 06-14-2013, 10:49 PM.
                        LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I have a E470VL that has the same problem. Here is what I have found so far. If you read on pin two of the white connector on the power supply board it is the signal that shuts down the high voltage. I have that voltage for just an instant then it goes away. What I have found out is that if I uplug the outputs from the power supply to the lamps then the signal does not go away. I hooked the wires back up and toggled the on off switch long enough to get then backlight to work for about twenty seconds. While this was happening I did the test with the neon light holding it next to the blue caps next to the output wires. The light was alot brighter on the lower set of caps than the upper.
                          I am thinking of replacing all the little blue caps but they do not have a value on them does anyone know the value of the caps and where I can get 5 of them. I have ohmed out the connectors going to the lamps but read nothing going to ground. This is a good thing. Not hearing any arching sounds either which is a good thing.

Comment

Because my GV42L is 7 years old Vizio customer service didn't seem interested in talking with me. I was told that there were no firmware updates and given the name of local repair shops.

Anyways, I almost laughed at this suggested fix, however, I was willing to try anything. I went through the steps with 1 exception. I took the batteries out of the remote. I pressed all the buttons and then placed the batteries back. Pressing input AND menu did not work. However, when I pressed only input and powered on the set it at the same time the input menu appeared and the set stayed on. I was then able to switch the input to one that worked.

Miracles never cease.

Comment

" when I pressed only input and powered on the set it at the same time the input menu appeared and the set stayed on."
                              I just want to confirm that the method works, I did that to two of them last weekend.
                              Thanks AVgeek.
                              Last edited by budm; 02-24-2015, 12:30 PM.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                              X