Questionable SamXons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questionable SamXons?

Bottom and top left: SamXons which appear to be genuine - can you please confirm?
    Top right: Suspect SamXon pulled out of a Strong SRT5405 with 'circles' rubber bung.

All are GF series.
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Questionable SamXons?

strong, arent those crap boxes korean?

Comment

Isn't GF one of Samxon's crap series' anyway?
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Yes they are genuine Samxon and by genuine I mean genuine crap chuck them into the nearest garbage can.

GF was a lemon Samxon series tons of monitor inverters are plagued with these bulgers.

That bullseye bung looks fishy though I haven't dealt with enough Samxon caps to determine if that design is in character for them.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

The one in the upper right appears to be a fake. Thats not a bung type I've ever seen on a genuine Samxon cap....and its no mystery that there were some Samxon fakes running around. Yes, I have seen some legit bad GF series in some older monitors, but nothing recent.

Maybe Joe (bigpope) can shed some more light on this.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

He told me that pics of the other sides of the capacitors are needed
            Apparently Samxon did use some different bung designs in production...
            (So the bung can't tell you if it's a fake Samxon or not)
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have a Samxon GR with a completely flat bung (it doesn't even have the "bullseye" pattern). Here are four pictures comparing it to a Samxon GS. Both caps were found in a Dymo label printer.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by lti; 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I have been informed by PCBONEZ and Topcat that "experimental" Samxon caps do indeed have concentric (Bullseye) bungs. So if you get Samxon RS with such a bung, it is not a fake.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I don't remember saying that but TC might have.
                  I buy few Samxon and what I do get came from TC,, so,, whatever he says.
                  He's seen a lot more of them than I have.
                  [Edit]
                  In post 5 TC said he hasn't seen rings on Samxon either.
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-03-2011, 10:51 PM.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

I looked at my stock [RS and GD] and the bungs are smooth like the light blue GR.
                    Samxon is a Chinese company [or rather that's where their factories are] that started making their own aluminum foils [and presumably aluminum cans] in house a few years ago so now their aluminum quality is consistent.

I'm guessing they still outsource the bungs so the style varies.
                    - Just a guess.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

The GS has the same bung I have seen in most Samxon caps. It has a raised area between the leads. The GR has a perfectly flat bung.

Comment

I don't remember saying that but TC might have.
                        Pardon me. I just checked my old PM from you regarding this and indeed you told me to ask Topcat.
                        In post 5 TC said he hasn't seen rings on Samxon either.
                        Yes, Topcat answered me that he's seen the concentric rings in the RS he gets from his supplier (And they are genuines), so this post in question is old.

I haven't had the opportunity to test my RS yet... I'm second guessing my choice of opting for the 16V over the 6.3V. They're exactly the same dimensions, but I'm starting to doubt if it was wise to use a cap with almost triple the voltage rating (At the time, I had the incorrect notion that a voltage rating was just a ripple rating - which is erroneous).

Maybe I'll get some 10 volt ones. And I should stock up on some GC 3300s while I'm at it.
                        Last edited by mockingbird; 08-03-2011, 11:42 PM.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                          To shed some light on this, the last round of Samxon RS series 3300uF 10v and 16v caps did have the 'ringed' bungs.....I guess Samxon is cheaping out and raising prices.... At the time I made post 5, I had never seen those bungs on a Samxon cap... Times seem to have changed.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            ^
                            To shed some light on this, the last round of Samxon RS series 3300uF 10v and 16v caps did have the 'ringed' bungs.....I guess Samxon is cheaping out and raising prices.... At the time I made post 5, I had never seen those bungs on a Samxon cap... Times seem to have changed.
                            oh well... better excuse to kick it up and use some nichicons i guess... seems like a lot of the good brands either are leaving the low esr game or going to hell... Sad days indeed.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                            X