Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
    Damn, that's a good find. I would go for it!!! You know that's a good unit except it might have OST in it
    Bought one.

(the guy still has another up for sale )
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Bought one.

(the guy still has another up for sale )
      I bought the other one good find

Comment

Tv tuner came in a few days ago... but I didn't have time to open the box until today.

I was expecting just a used tuner, which for $30 shipped was a steal. However, the box was a tad large, and upon opening, I found this:

Ok, so they included the original box. I wonder what's inside?

Yup, all the accessories, all of which are unopened (maybe the CD's were used, I can't tell).

I already had used equivlents of those ready for use (scuffed remote, used sensor cable, S-vhs player as Svidio converter), so the new ones are going to be put away as spares, along with the original box and CD's (I have another cd for winTV verification).

If anybody has ever used one of these w/o a cable box, you'd know what a PITA dealing with the IR blaster side of the sensor cable is. Since I'm doing QAM directly, w/o a box, I decided to fix the issue once and for all:

This way I can just unplug the blaster side of the cable when I'm not using it (like all the time):

I keyed it by alternating pin genders...

I then installed it to the front of the case:

Note the newly installed Floppy/card reader combo.

I took some other pictures of the system while I was at it:

The insides, overall:

All the rear I/O:

All the cards:

Note the newly installed SMD header on the 3ware card, and the custom LED header extension connected to it.

The SATA cable harness:

The 4 HDDs, with the bays labeled by port #:

At this point, all it needs is the PSU (still in mail), Mobo (Shovenose hasn't shipped it yet ), and win 7 x64 disc (I haven't bought it yet).

Looking good?
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

That's pretty sweet having all that stuff still in the packaging. And the inside looks good, good cable management. Should get that PSU soon and you can always install Windows 7 and activate it later so that you can at least use it till your copy gets there.

Comment

the win 7 copies are from the college bookstore @ $20 a pop. I just need to go there, fill out some BS paperwork, and plunk $20.
            sigpic

Comment

Oh wow even better, that's awesome! Any version you want?

Comment

seriously, retail? You should resell them with new builds for other people hehe
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  seriously, retail? You should resell them with new builds for other people hehe
                  Student edition upgrades, ultimate. Both 32 and 64 bit (your choice). I already have one of each (an x64 for the D630, a x32 for V2 (or whatever I use it for next). I'm *suppossed to* delete the installs and destroy the discs when I graduate in 2015/2016 (if I stay for a master's degree). By then I bet M$ wouldn't give a ****, since we'd be on W9 or W10 by then.
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

That's a professional looking workstation

I kind of miss the fact there aren't any ghetto mods

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      I kind of miss the fact there aren't any ghetto mods
                      I do too, a bit. Not nearly as much "character", or at least that kind of character.
                      sigpic

Comment

By then I bet M$ wouldn't give a ****
                        Won't care at all. Your first hit is free!
                        sig files are for morons

Comment

PSU came in today. I'll upload naked (PSU) pics in my next post, but let's just say BigTroll would consider the caps Centerfold material.

Reason I post this is I put the PSU in, and did a test fire with the board to test the PSU... and I was slow to power it off... and suddenly I heard the FDD chirp to life! I then grabbed a keyboard and monitor, and what do you know, it's actually alive.

Apparently changing PSU's and CPU's did something... it's bootable. However, it was a tad unstable, locking up under the old V2 win7 boot (via the old 3 drive array) and doing the kernel-panic dance during a Usb linux boot, so I'm diagnosing that. Running an overnight memtest (6% ATM)... It could also be the LAN, since the LAN boot prompt popped up 4 or 5 times during the last POST.

In the mean time, Shovenose prepped his board to ship... only to find a popped KZG that was fine the last time he looked at it ( a few weeks back?). . Yeah, KZG super-sucks. I'm (under re-negotiated terms) taking the board anyway, as it would make a good spare board (and I need the I/O shield).
                          sigpic

Comment

First, some pictures of the PSU:

The guts:

The primary:

The secondary:

Just for Bigtroll, a good picture of one of the caps:

Just for chegge, a death adda:

The PSU label (not 100% true, it's AFAIK a single rail):

I think the caps may have dried up, as the instability has gotten worse with time and the PSU is putting out a lot of heat. I'd invoke the warranty but I honestly don't want to have to mail it back... so I'll just recap it and add the cost of caps to the ultimate PSU price. (Topcat, check your email...)

The PSU installed:

The HDD power bundle:

The cable management at the top:

I placed my zip tie buttons only on the PSU side, so the PSU can be removed w/o cutting ties.

Memtest:

As I said earlier, I suspect the culprit for the stability is the PSU... Stupid Su'scon...

edit- the cap values were a **** to get (lots of glue to remove), so for Pentium 4, the values:

3900uf 16V >10mm (did't caliper it)
                            2700uf 16V >10mm
                            1000uf 16V 8mm
                            3300uf 10V 10mm
                            2200uf 10V 10mm x2
                            1000uf 10V 8mm x3 (or use 3 additional of the 16v's)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ratdude747; 04-27-2013, 05:14 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Found the cause of the stability issues... Corrupted BIOS.

I tried running it off the supermicro PSU to no avail... but I decided to use some old tricks I used on my EEE pc a few years back to hack the BIOS splash (the default tyan one is ugly). After making a new splash image (I'll attach it in a few posts), I slipped it into the most recent bios which supposedly my board was already flashed with. After some "uncompressed bitmap required" bull puckey (fixed by opening the image that was extracted form bios and pasting over it the new one), I made a new bios file. After some more bootable floppy bull puckey (ended up using the old reliable 98.iso slipstream n burn trick), I reflashed the bios... the screen didn't quite work (edges were cut off, my LCD was set wrong), but the unstableness and other quirks (like a bunch of gibberish in the boot order menu) are fixed. Well, were fixed, as the system locked up after a bit and resumed the crap. Maybe a bad BIOS chip?

I hope shovenose's board runs better than this... it's a bunch of if you ask me.
                              Last edited by ratdude747; 05-01-2013, 07:42 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Made some changes to the bios splash image; I haven't burnt it to the bios yet (just got done using AMI tools to make a new bios ROM).

Here are the old and new splash screen images:

Old:

Full screen on an LCD it looks pretty crappy...

New:

Much better, don't you think?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by ratdude747; 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

I pulled out the Su'scon caps on mine and they had surprisingly low ESR and the capacitance values were all in tolerance, but they're still Su'scon...

I'm curious to know how many watts that things pulls

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                    I pulled out the Su'scon caps on mine and they had surprisingly low ESR and the capacitance values were all in tolerance, but they're still Su'scon...

I'm curious to know how many watts that things pulls
                                    According to a "quite shit" extreme PSU calculator, it should draw about 549W, with a recommended PSU of 599W (chcking the FB dimms? box made a slight difference). So yeah, maybe it's getting toasty because I'm drawing so many watts...
                                    sigpic

Comment

Made some changes to the bios splash image; I haven't burnt it to the bios yet (just got done using AMI tools to make a new bios ROM).

New:

Much better, don't you think?
                                      I have to agree. I like that much better.

Comment

Just for c_hegge, a death adda:

At least it's not a sleeve bearing. They're the real "Death Adda" fans.
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Motherboard caps came in today... Recap of the 2nd board was a success.

I also found the issue with the 1st board... I accidentally replaced a 470uf 25V cap (NCC KMH, not bad) with a 1500uf 6.3V... it was slightly bulged too. No wonder I seemed to be a cap short last time (and why my amended cap list was one too many this time). I'll swap that cap later and keep the board as a spare.

System still was a tad unstable... I boiled it down to two issues:

1. The USB card was toast. I need to find another NEC card with a USB header (or at least the solder holes) on the front of the card, as my other NEC card has them further towards the back, which my card reader cable won't reach. I also have a Firewire/USB combo card, both NEC, and with the header in the right place... however, I already have firewire on the motherboard...

2. My really nice 1gb ATI/AMD Radeon hd4670 doesn't play well with this system... as soon as I installed the drivers, it would lock up after the next reboot/login... I tried all sorts of stuff... to no avail. However, it seems to like my Nvidia GEforce 6800gt, so I may find a decent Nvidia card for it (the DVI port on the 6800 is toast, missing Passive micro-choke). U-235, check your PM's.

(looks like V2 will be getting back the killer GPU... I also have a 1TB drive for it, so I'll have TWO killer worstations to play with... )

The PSU hasn't been recapped yet... apparently there was a miscommunication between topcat and I and as a result the PSU caps (and the caps for 3 LCDs) weren't in the order... my bad there. In the mean time, I re-did the SATA plugs on the PSU so one cable has 4 right angle plugs at half the original distance between plugs (for the HDDs), and the two straight plugs on the other cable (In case the PSU ever sees a newer board with SATA opticals). I also re-did the cable routing of the front USB/audio, so between that and the PSU mod, the wiring is a lot cleaner. Pics to come later (too busy/lazy to upload them now).
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X