Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vizio vp322 bad caps...

Hey guys. New to the forums here but have been playing with electronics
    ( mainly car audio/video and full sized arcade games) for years.

I got a call to look at a vizio vp322. They bought it about a year and a half ago. Typical cap symptioms, first it was weired when powered up, then would have to power on off several times, and slowly got to the point that it wouldnt turn on.

A quick peek at the power supply shows about 6--8 bad caps. 2 vented, several others bulged. Frickin cheap a$$ caps man! they coulda spent $.25 cents more per tv and got some good ones man.

They have decided not to fix it and i can have it for $50. I think im going to go for it. Has anyone else has success "just replacing caps" on this model, or shoudl i be expecting other issues as well?

I figure what the heck, ive wanted to play with lcd/plasma tvs for awhile now, heres my chance.

Re: vizio vp322 bad caps...

I always start with the caps. On this new stuff most caps are junk and can`t take all the heat these tvs make.
    Anytime tvs have power up problems, but do power up once in a while, replacing the caps will almost always repair it.

Comment

lol were like twins cadi!!

I cant wait. Goint to pick this up tonight and have a cap fest. WIsh me luck, hopefully this will be $50 well spent and not $50 wasted.

Comment

ive got new xircon caps and nichicon " in stock" from all the tinkering i do.

Would it be a good idea to up the voltage rating on these caps? for instance the two vented caps are 3300uf/10v. I have some 3300uf 35v ones.

physically larger, but i think theyll fit, and mabye the higher oltage ratin will help em last longer too correct?

Comment

Originally posted by cadillacman View Post
          Would it be a good idea to up the voltage rating on these caps?
          See PCBONEZ talk about this here

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...30&postcount=7
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I check v before replacing, but mostly just bad caps.

Comment

I just checked out PCBONEZ. Thanks! good info. You should too Cadillacman.

Comment

well i didnt read that yet, but i will. I followed my gut and replaced the caps with ones with at least a little higher voltage rating, the ones that were the worst( the 3300uf 10v) were replaced with some signifigantly larger 3300uf 35v ones.

put it back togther and this is what i have: ( please excuse my hands- i work very hard for a living)

SUCCESS!! WHOOHOO!!! Look at those krappy caps! Insane im used to seeing this in 25 year old arcade monitors that have had a hard life, not something this new and fresh.

Hopefully shes bulletproofed and good to go for several years.

Now that i have a good taste in my mouth, i think im going to start hunting down more "bad cap sympton" tvs and monitors etc.
                Last edited by cadillacman; 02-07-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

heres to hoping i did ok lol.. kept uf the same, most have slightly higher voltage rating, but these are in my cap kit boxes, no idea on esr. That was a good read.

I will repost if anything changed but for now so far so good!

these folks were even nice enough to re-wrap this in the original plastic and foam for me, they had all the manuals, even the plastic the remote came in!

I hope all the tvs i pickup are this well taken care of, but i dount that
                  Last edited by cadillacman; 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

SUCCESS!! WHOOHOO!!!
                    Good job on the repair, but please use the manage attachments to upload pictures. Please don't post inline as it slows everything down.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

really? then why is there an option to embed pics then? Not arguing, just wondering. Over at klov.com( arcade game forums) its the same vbb forums as here, we embed pics and youtube videos all the time, its fine( unless people start embedding aminated gifs, those throw a wrench in the works)

Comment

Not arguing, just wondering.
                        Let me count the ways.

1) A while back someone posted 12 MB worth of inline pictures in post #1. With 20 posts per page, it means everytime I come back to read, I have to load 12MB each and every time. 20 posts x 12 means I waste 240MB just loading the page.

In Canada, there is now talk about usage bandwidth caps and paying $1 to $2 per GB for being over. Currently, some ISPs have monthly usage caps and charge extra for usage.

There is NO WAY I will help people if I have to pay because they can't or won't follow instructions regarding inline images.

2) Offsite picture hosting may not exist in the future. User accounts come and go. Presumably you found this site through some search engine and posted because you want and got help. If those pictures are gone in the future, it helps nobody.

3) Sometimes, I use a 9 inch diagonal netbook and the scrolling back and forth, due to inline images being wider than my display, make it impossible to read. If I can't read it, I can't help.

4) The 9 inch netbook has a very slow "write" solid state disk (SSD). When I download 12MB of pictures, the browser writes 12MB to the cache located on the SSD and it is very slow. It also means 12MB of cached data is possibly deleted in order to make room for a picture that I may not need to see again.

5) Posting inline SLOWS DOWN the loading of pages.

6) What is "acceptable" or "common practice" on other sites is not necessarily acceptable everywhere.

7) Offsite hosting of pictures has led to unwanted popups. This could lead to viruses, malware, etc. I will not visit offsite hosted pictures now due to unwanted popups.

8) My downstairs computer is wifi connected. In my area, I see as many as 18 wifi networks. With 2.4Ghz phones, microwaves, security, etc, it is very congested. Inline images SLOW DOWN loading of pages and it is worse on wifi.

9) Some public wifi hotspots are rate-limited in terms of speed. Sometimes the speed is as low as 128Kbps.
                        Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-07-2011, 11:56 PM.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

really? then why is there an option to embed pics then? Not arguing, just wondering.
                          click on "go advanced" instead of using the quick reply.
                          under additional options (scroll down), there's a button "manage attachments"

Comment

wow, i guess we are spoiled here in the us then.

I would edit and remove pics, but i cant once the post is old. Bummer.

This is not the last time you will see me post here. I actually found this site through a friend who is also a member here(smalltownguy)

Im sure your used to google idiots that dont know a fuse from a resistor, I AM NOT that guy. Im pretty good with soldering, trace repair, dmm use, light diagnostics.

so, dont counts me out lol.
                            Last edited by cadillacman; 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Hey Cadillac, congrats on the fix!

My .02 on inline images: there's nothing worse than googling for a solution, finding a thread that says "here it is, look at the picture" and others saying, cool, great, that explains it. But the pictures are long gone.

That and somone posts a 4000 pixel wide image and makes all of the posts in the thread need scrolliong back and forth to read.

I just joined the Caddy club in December, man what a nice ride!
                              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

wow, i guess we are spoiled here in the us then.
                                And it is obvious that someone near me just got a new router or fiddled with their wifi settings because Internet has been loading really slow the last 36 hours. That makes loading threads with inline pics even more frustrating.

So I now have to cycle through the wifi channels again and figure out which channel is the least congested.

This message sent via ethernet connected pc.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

retired- they arent on your wifi network are they? secure that damn thing!

or are you saying someone else in the area has the same internet service, and they are bogging you down? If so, thats a bummer!

Comment

retired- they arent on your wifi network are they? secure that damn thing!
                                    There are at least 14+ wifi routers/networks. With 802.11 wifi technology there are 11 wifi channels with 1, 6, and 11 being non overlapping. 14 networks into 3 wifi channels makes for a lot of congestion.

Consumer based wifi routers don't "auto configure" themselves to pick the least congested channels. Enterprise based wifi routers will do analysis, signal tests, etc do auto configure themselves to pick the optimal wifi channels for speed and least amount of congestion.

PS. My wifi network is secured.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

That is one of the reasons I dislike broadband internet services, and have gone to a great deal of effort to hard wire as many points in my house as possible with Cat5 cable. I even have one jack in the kitchen! Initially my brother's only 'high speed' choice was broadband, but as the ISP added users the performance degraded until dialup was faster. He switched to DSL

I have DSL, so the closest node that could be saturated is at the telco's box, where ever that is. I do have wireless set up in my home, but only had two low usage devices. Today I reluctantly added a third - a laser printer, but my wife does 98% of the printing, and it's connected to her computer by USB cable.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Good for you cadillacman! Don`t worry about your hands mine look the same and I wear gloves when possible.

You didn`t need an esr meter for those but for others you will.

Comment

Working...
                                        X