How modern Rubycon MCZs look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How modern Rubycon MCZs look like?

I have to confess, I buy Rubycon off eBay (Hong Kong or China). Closer to Germany I couldn't find anyone, who could ship in 50 pcs batches.

So I've bought recently Rubycon 1800uF/6.3V/8mm and they were gray on black, which is opposed to what I usually see - gold on black. Moreover in a batch I received there were K and T-shaped (Panasonic-style) caps...

So my question is: how Rubycon currently looks like?

Thanks.

Re: How modern Rubycon MCZs look like?

What is marked on (series) and have photos of printings on the side and views of different scoring on tops of capacitors and view of bungs?

Thank you and cheers, Wizard

Comment

If you got a rubycon with a "T" vent, its a fake. Rubycon caps are still made in Japan, not china....atleast all of mine are. Chinese Rubycons are typically fakes.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

this reminds me of some Rubycon MCZ's i pulled out of a dead intel mini itx board.
        previous owner tried to use passive cooling instead of active.. toasted some caps.. tried to recap the board but it's still dead
        (POST code card still gets stuck after a couple codes.. no picture) ...bummer..

however.. the MCZ's i desoldered looked genuine, but had the cheapo circle bung?!

Last edited by Scenic; 04-07-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic

Wow, Had me fooled till I saw that. Those were good fakes!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

the interesting thing is that those were original caps that the board came with.
            so intel got into the fake trap? :O

Boards in question are the Intel D201GLY (Celeron 215) and the D201GLY2 (Celeron 220)..
            everything after those model numbers just says if it's active or passive cooled. (trailing "A" usually)

edit: pics of the D201GLY

passive cooled version (with those 2 MCZs next to the CPU)
            http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/materi...d/cd8b9478.JPG

passive and active side by side
            http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/materi...d/0defc1a6.JPG

edit2: another interesting fact about those boards: the 12V 4pin input has a place for a cap, but none of the boards i've seen had it populated..
            Last edited by Scenic; 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I too have seen 820uF MCZ with the cheap-looking circle bung. It came off a Intel D865-something board, so that'd make it '05 vintage, or thereabouts. I thought about posting a thread about it, but life's been kinda hectic the past few weeks.

These suspect Rubycons were on the CPU VRM, and they were mixed bung styles - some had the cheap looking one, some had the normal Rubycon half-circles with the dot in the middle. All had the same date codes, and all measured OK with the same ESR and capacitance.

I got bored, so I dissected a few of them. I dissected a suspect Rubycon and another Rubycon from a completely different board. The interiors were identical in electrolyte color and smell, and I unrolled all the paper and found them to be the same length.

So...In my case, it was either the best counterfeit ever, or Rubycon just used the wrong bungs? *shrugs* Either way, they went in the trash bin as I wasn't going to re-use suspect caps. I didn't take any photos of my dissection exercise, but I'll see if I can find some of the suspect Rubycons in the trash container to see if it's the same style circle bung as Scenic found, or something altogether different.

Comment

It's me again. Here are the photos of the caps in question.

Is there a FAQ on how to identify fake Rubycons?
                Does anybody know if MCZs can be grey (as on my photos) or they should always be gold-colored?

I measured capacitance rating of these fake-MCZs and on most of them it is around 1480uF (nominal is 1800uF). But on some it is 2200 or sometimes 2400.
                Attached Files

Comment

All are fakes. Wrong look of printing (especially MCZ) and capacitance all over the map, cross and T scorings. The true Rubycon is K scoring and slightly bold printing with stylized script of "Rubycon".

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

lots of pics of genuine caps

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=588

Comment

OK, here are more photos. They are taken from one auction on eBay. Is there fakes among them?

I personally doubt about 2200uF, because V in 6.3V is too big.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Those are genuine caps in that photos. You have been taken or the seller was not looking very closely at his stock or knowingly selling fakes.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Always remember, not all people take pictures of what they are selling, they will usually google search for an image of what they have that look exactly the same, but you still may be sold fakes. You never know till you get that box at your door....

Comment

Well, I buy on eBay, because I could not find anyone in Germany, who could deliver what I want in 50 pcs batches.

Maybe someone could suggest a good reseller?

Comment

you can get Panasonic FC's on reichelt.de
                              http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=2;LA=2;GROUPID=4000

otherwise.. send an email or a PM (he's registered on this forum) to big pope
                              http://www.capsmod.net/caps/

or try the PCMC Store (send a message to that guy what caps you need and the quantity)
                              http://tinyurl.com/pcmcstore <<< prices in eur and german ebay site.
                              for the other ppl.. just replace the top level domain to the ebay on in your country.. i.e. replace the "ebay.de" with "ebay.com" or "ebay.ca" or whatever..

edit: oops.. i forgot RS..
                              http://de.rs-online.com/web/search/s...018+4294417669

you can also PM topcat (owner of this forum)... but idk about the shipping costs..
                              Last edited by Scenic; 04-09-2010, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                They do not have Rubycon in stock at all. German version of RS-Online has only 10% of what US site has.

Comment

I also checked the other links you gave me and they also do not offer MCZs.

That's what I've been saying, that MCZs are really had to find in Germany. Especially in small batches.

Comment

why not use panasonic if you cant get ruby?

Comment

yeah, pannies are just as good.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by long_double
                                        I also checked the other links you gave me and they also do not offer MCZs.
                                        ?!

http://stores.shop.ebay.de/PC-Mother...&submit=Finden

Comment

Working...
                                        X