Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biostar TForce 550 SE 5.x mobo integrated lan problem

Hi everyone!

I am working on a homegrown computer that has a Biostar TForce 550 SE 5.x mobo. It has an integrated lan device, but a wireless device was being used. The wireless kept having issues, so as part of the steps to resolve these issues, I had disabled the integrated lan, which looked like it was working ok in the computer device manager. I hadn't been able to get the wireless connection issue resolved, so we were going to use the wired connection. When I went to enable the integrated lan, I was able to "enable" it; but the computer device manager and the network folder is saying the lan device is not plugged in and it is.

I took the computer completely apart, including removing the mobo, and cleaned it. I noticed on the bottom-side of the mobo between the CPU socket and the integrated devices ports, that the motherboard looks like it got kinda warm - the green has a brownish tint to it unlike the rest of the board. In addition, the LED leads for the computer front and possibly the power and reset buttons were wired backwards orginally - postive on the ground and ground on the positive. I kinda have a feeling that something burnt up, but am hoping someone will have something else I can try before I give up on this board.

I reinstalled the OS. The reinstall didn't "see" the integrated lan device this time, which leads me to believe that the device is dead :-(. Is it possible that this could be a BIOS issue, or am I correct in believing that the device is dead?

Specs on the mobo can be found at http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/...t.php?S_ID=180 .

Sincerely,
    AKBessy :-)

Re: Biostar TForce 550 SE 5.x mobo integrated lan problem

Oops, I just found out that Biostar is MSI - oh well. I'll leave this post here.

Comment

Sounds like it's dead, discoloration is never good.

Try with a pci network card. That should work.

Comment

Hi 370forlife, thanks for responding. I am guilty for not posting everything here. I did try installing a separate PCI NIC, but it is coming up with the message that it is not plugged in also - when it is. I tried different cables with no luck. I considered the ports on the router being bad, but the router ports were ok before I moved the router to a central location in attempts to get a better wireless signal.

I read somewhere online that someone else had the same kind of problem - even with the PCI NIC "cable unplugged" message. I wonder if the PCI has to run through the same hardware as the integrated lan, so I am getting the same error?

AKBessy :-)

Comment

BIOS say anything about LAN? some will report what cable you have.

When you used a LAN card, and installed the drivers for it. Does the router assign it an IP?

cable unplugged message, I would asume means once it thought the cable was plugged in, maybe software issue. Have you tried forcing 10MB FULL/ 10MB half/ 100MB full / 100MB half, to see if it makes any difference, each setting you will want to refresh the connection, the repair button in lan config (whilst all protection like software firewalls are disabled).

Constant plugged / unplugged looping when connected to router, bad wire or faulty capacitors around the lan chips in router.
          Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Hi Fizzycapola,

Do you know how a NIC will have the green light on when installed in a computer and will blink yellow when the internet connection is active and sending data?

Well, my NIC isn't even showing a green light like there is no power there. I don't recall seeing a light before I started seriously tackling the wireless connection issue. This was my son's desktop that he built, when he moved I assumed the "pleasure" of operating the machine. He had connected to the internet occasionally through the wired port, but not very often - only to get the wireless connection "going" again; so I know that the wired port worked at one time.

Other PCI devices are working as they should, just PCI NICs won't work - making me think that I might not have some software installed properly? Or that all internet crap eventually has to come through a gate on the mobo and that gate is dying?

~AKBessy :-)

Comment

Did you check if the BIOS had an option that enables/disables LAN?

What worries me, though, is that you said that after OS reinstall, your OS did not see your lan chip (which means its either dead or disabled in BIOS somehow). Assuming you have WinXP, did you check if your LAN chip/PCI NIC appear under the Network Adapters in Device Manager?

If yes, make sure they are enabled in the Device Manager. Then pull out Command Prompt while in Windows and type in IPCONFIG. Does the DNS Suffix display your cable provider?
              If not, perhaps another thing you can try is to connect your computer directly to your cable modem. If that still doesn't help, go to Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection, click Properties, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click on Properties, and make sure that the options "Obtain IP adress automatically" and "Obtain DNS servers automatically" are set.

If your LAN chip/PCI NIC does not appear in Device Manager and you're sure it's enabled in BIOS, then it could be dead.

Comment

Answer to Re: Biostar TForce 550 SE 5.x mobo integrated lan problem

Ok.....I was disgusted, so I took the homegrown computer off line and am using another one in the same spot. When I put my trusted computer in the same spot, my lan connection wasn't working.

Lo and Behold - I had two cat5 cables that must not be wired right. I had made 3 cables and the first worked fine, so I assumed that the second and third ones were ok. So much for my cabling skills.

I hooked up a store-bought cable on the trusty computer and I have an internet connection again. Hmmmph. Well, now I have to hook up the homegrown computer again and see what happens. However, I think that I would still like to replace the board in it - or have one on hand because I am not having a good feeling about the board that is in it currently. I'll post back after I hook up the homegrown one and tell you my results.

"If you don't test it - don't trust it" (especially if AKBessy made the cable! LOL)

Comment

It's hard to beat commercial standard cabling, like Belkin. Not many places you can get suitable end connetors for CAT cable, atleast the ebay transparent ones I have found to be very brittle, particularly the seperation plastic between the pins just falls away after around 5 reconnections ( least it did with mine). Good that you're making progress.
                  Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

"Homegrown" computer ??

Where can I get computer seeds?
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                        "Homegrown" computer ??

Where can I get computer seeds?
                        LOL. Well, what I am trying to figure out is how much water to give this thing. I think that this seed must have come from a decent computer, but I just don't quite have a green thumb. ;-)

Comment

My homegrown computer is on the internet via a good cable using the integrated lan port. Pew. I am so amazing! Well, I will chalk this one up for experience! I need to test my home-made cables before I assume that they are ok.

Comment

Working...
                          X