Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Useless Microsoft and Windows 8.1 / 10 installation

Originally posted by stj View Post
    it may contain his login details for a secure network.
    Yeah, I'm sure it does. I called the doc. I mentioned how 10 wasn't HIPPA compliant, he asked what I meant. I told him how Microsoft has been collecting user's files and monitoring their internet search history, he said it was fine and to install anyway. I wish someone would bring me a Linux or FreeBSD box to fix. Something different would be nice for a change!
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

LOL i hate anything above windows 7, microshaft has just gone potty.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
        Now, there's manufacturers (Dell and HP I believe, for instance) that are forcing you to use the hardware their PCs / laptops came with. They create some whitelist and store it in the BIOS I believe.
        Lenovo and HP are the ones that always get mentioned.

I had my HP/Compaq laptop try that with me years ago... talking about late in the single-core era here. Fixing it was as simple as using a hex editor to change the device ID from the old wireless card (makes it easy to find) to the new one. Worked perfectly.

Some people have said that newer firmwares are encrypted to prevent this sort of thing. It would never affect me with a desktop; all my desktops have motherboards that I bought as boxed motherboards, and they're not designed with vendor lock-in as a design parameter. Laptops, though, may be a problem, if I ever decide to buy a new one. My "new" laptop was built in 2008, so I haven't investigated it.

Comment

When I was younger, I had a Dell (I think). It might have been an HP but pretty sure it was a Dell. Everything was working fine. I had upgraded the CPU in it and it was pretty decent. I was just a kid. I updated the firmware and all of a sudden, I turn it on and get a message that my CPU isn't supported! I'm like wtf! So I contact the manufacturer and they say the PC only supports something like 3 or 4 CPUs. I said the CPU was working with the last firmware. When I updated it, it stopped working. How do I put the old BIOS back on the machine? They said I couldn't downgrade! That was insane. Now days, I think I'd be able to fix a problem like that pretty easy like by just updating the microcode in the BIOS. It might be harder than that though. It might be one of those white list things, you know? Really pissed me off!

Comment

Yeah whitelists are a pain in the ass for people like me who are trying to get customers able to use their fast internet with AC cards etc, it's some FCC bullshit rule crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
              Yeah, I'm sure it does. I called the doc. I mentioned how 10 wasn't HIPPA compliant, he asked what I meant. I told him how Microsoft has been collecting user's files and monitoring their internet search history, he said it was fine and to install anyway. I wish someone would bring me a Linux or FreeBSD box to fix. Something different would be nice for a change!
              I don't think it is that bad, especially with the basic level. Remember that most hospitals would be deploying Win10 Enterprise with Group Policy controlling telemetry and other settings too. I think it is possible for small business to get it by using Open License.
              Last edited by yuhong; 05-17-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

LOL - most hospitals probably arent even fully on XP yet.
                they run stoneage systems!

Comment

Originally posted by yuhong View Post
                  I don't think it is that bad, especially with the basic level. Remember that most hospitals would be deploying Win10 Enterprise with Group Policy controlling telemetry and other settings too. I think it is possible for small business to get it by using Open License.
                  Yes, you're right. All hospitals should be running Enterprise edition if they're running Windows, right? Even the smaller ones I'd think would be running Enterprise.

Comment

Actually have an old Dell Dimension 2400(circa '03) that runs Win2K Pro. It was a business comp. at some apartment. I intend on keeping that computer until it completely fails.
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X