Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some "Vintage Iron" for you older PC guys

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    oh wow. that system is just so drool worthy. would want a system like that to put win95 and winnt 3.1, 3.5, 3.51 or 4 in a dual boot config. the p3 1.4ghz is the fastest pentium 3 they ever came out with right? would be nice benchmarking that rig side by side with a pentium 4 and seeing how much efficient the p3 is clock for clock against the p4.
    NT4 would be fun to tinker with, except driver support. Most of the hardware in this system is even too modern for that. Win2k would be about as far back as I think this one could go unless some of the Win2k drivers could be forced into backward compatibility.... I am astonished how well 7 performs on this relic though....very smooth.

Yes, these are the fastest P3's made, and being the "S" versions, have 512k full speed L2 caches. The tualatins kicked the creamcheese out of the williamette core (first release P4's). The P4 was 100FSB versus 133FSB, even in spite of the P4 being 'quad pumped' netburst..... It wasn't until the prescott core that the P4 & netburst really started to shine.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I need to post a pic of a 40mb IDE drive on this thread... Stepper driven BTW
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        I need to post a pic of a 40mb IDE drive on this thread... Stepper driven BTW
        old full height 5.25" MFM drive? I took one apart and made an ashtray out of it back in the day, atleast doing that with it made it useful for something!! The platters were the size of CD's.

It can not be added to this thread unless its in working order in a functioning system.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

ooops i forgot to add that if u ever want to sell that system on ebay minus the gpu (as i got my own. also better to sell the 1gb 4650 agp separately for more $$$), hard disk and raid card, i think i would bid like around 300 bucks for it... lol~ except that shipping cost on that giant casing is gonna be a bitch so that is just a fantasy... keke~

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              old full height 5.25" MFM drive? I took one apart and made an ashtray out of it back in the day, atleast doing that with it made it useful for something!! The platters were the size of CD's.

It can not be added to this thread unless its in working order in a functioning system.
              It's not a 5 1/4. it's a double height 3 1/2.... It's in a spinning rust system. (amd386, 7mb ram, shes blazin!)
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I downgraded Firefox to v15.xx, as 40 just sucked too much CPU. 15 performs awesome, it was a prior-to-the-big-facelift version. smooth as silk. With the voodoo3500, I also turned on all the XP eye candy, also smooth as silk....makes me kinda miss mainstream XP.

Ok, I probably wasted more time on this than I should have....but it was fun!
                XP requires unofficial drivers for Voodoos to perform well, because Nvidia killed 3dfx before XP came out.....
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                  the p3 1.4ghz is the fastest pentium 3 they ever came out with right? would be nice benchmarking that rig side by side with a pentium 4 and seeing how much efficient the p3 is clock for clock against the p4.
                  Yes, the 1.4Ghz was the fastest P3, on PassMark a 1.4Ghz p3 Tualatin comes slightly above a 2.80Ghz Northwood P4, and slightly below a 3.00Ghz Prescott P4. (PassMark ratings: P3 1.4Ghz - 336, P4 2.8Ghz - 326, P4 3.0Ghz - 357)

Clock for Clock a PIII Tualatin kicks a P4s ass.

There is a reason why the Conroe/Yonah Core2Duos were an evolution of the P6 (Pentium Pro/Pentium II/Pentium III) Microarchitecture rather than being based off of the hideously inefficient NetBurst which was sent to the dustbin of history where it belongs.
                  Last edited by dmill89; 02-21-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, these are the fastest P3's made, and being the "S" versions, have 512k full speed L2 caches.
                    In the AMD world, that wasn't until "Barton".
                    (The Athlon XPs with 512 KB of on die L2 cache.)
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      XP requires unofficial drivers for Voodoos to perform well, because Nvidia killed 3dfx before XP came out.....
                      Yes, I know, I still have them in my archive.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

It's not a 5 1/4. it's a double height 3 1/2.... It's in a spinning rust system. (amd386, 7mb ram, shes blazin!)
                        Going into technicalities...it's most likely half height. Double height would be as tall as 4 CD drives and full height would be two. Naming comes from back in the days of the 5150\5160 era when floppy drives and hard drives needed that extra space.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                          Yes, the 1.4Ghz was the fastest P3, on PassMark a 1.4Ghz p3 Tualatin comes slightly above a 2.80Ghz Northwood P4, and slightly below a 3.00Ghz Prescott P4. (PassMark ratings: P3 1.4Ghz - 336, P4 2.8Ghz - 326, P4 3.0Ghz - 357)

Clock for Clock a PIII Tualatin kicks a P4s ass.
                          thats interesting and good to know because i know that a single core on a core 2 cpu is at least twice as efficient per clock cycle or more against a p4 as i've benchmarked both of em before. so it follows that a p3 would be twice as fast per clock cycle as well.

some crazy guy in the ghetto mods thread overclocked his p3 to 2.4ghz or sumthing. thats really badass if u got a dual p3 cpu board. imagine tech from 2002 performing on par with a 2007 core 2 duo e4600 or e6600! that would be shocking to showcase at an overclocking competition!!! 5 years of moore's law... wut law?! lol?
                          Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 02-21-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                            Going into technicalities...it's most likely half height. Double height would be as tall as 4 CD drives and full height would be two. Naming comes from back in the days of the 5150\5160 era when floppy drives and hard drives needed that extra space.
                            its half height then.... still twice as tall as a common HDD today..

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_bay

Full-height bays were found in old PCs in the early to mid-1980s. They were 3.25″ high by 5.75″ wide, and up to 8″ deep (83 mm x 146 mm x 203 mm), used mainly for hard disk drives and floppy disk drives. Half-height drive bays are 1.625″ high by 5.75″ wide (41.3 mm x 146.1 mm), and are the standard housing for CD and DVD drives in modern computers, but were sometimes used for other things, including hard disk drives and floppy disk drives in the past. As the name indicates, two half-height devices can fit in one full-height bay.
                              Now measure the bezel of a common DVD/CD-RW...

Obviously, half-height/full height from 5.25 to 3.5 bays are different dimensions.

its half height then....
                              No, because:
                              still twice as tall as a common HDD today..
                              those are 1 inch nominal height; twice that, for 3.5, would be full height.

Full height 3.5 bays are slightly taller than half height 5.25 bays.
                              Last edited by kaboom; 02-21-2016, 07:37 PM.
                              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                              Originally posted by shango066
                              All style and no substance.
                              Originally posted by smashstuff30
                              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Stranger things have happened!!

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=212
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

I hate letting old stuff go to waste too - the 'puter on the left is my 1st W95 'puter, had
                                  a cyrix 166 in it, bought from Damark in '95 or '96 - enjoy 8^0!
                                  Attached Files

Comment

A grand... Yeah by those standards I have 6 grand worth between my four...
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      A grand... Yeah by those standards I have 6 grand worth between my four...

Actually, you'd be surprised at some of the prices I've gotten for some of this stuff through the store in the past. The last attic cleaning netted me a nice chunk of money! I don't care if it sells or not....but if it does, I'll take it! If not, it'll be there for a loooong time! Just wait and see what the P2B system will be priced at!
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Good work TC. Those brought back memories of building machines in my college days. My first real build in those days was a Celeron 300a o/c to 450mhz on a Abit BX6r2. Good times. Although now I can't remember the last time I put together a computer Now its just meetings and TPS reports.

Comment

oh no! aaaah! u've poisoned me with your fastest dual p3 gaming rig! why isnt teleportation invented yet?! i would want it teleported here. much easier to ship! lol~

Comment

Working...
                                          X