Asus F5Z & Windows 7 = progress bar animations goes superfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus F5Z & Windows 7 = progress bar animations goes superfast

Hello, i recently got an Asus F5Z laptop in my hands, and it has a very strange problem - with Windows 7 installed, once it starts and the Windows "flag animation" comes up - it goes extremely fast, like the computer would be in some "super turbo" mode. Also every progress bar animation does the same thing.

When i tried to boot from an official Windows 7 dvd (from which i installed Windows on this laptop), the same thing happened - all animations superfast.

I also checked the system clock in the BIOS (i had a thought, it could be a system timer, or something like that), and it seems to work normally, no lags at all, only this weird thing with animations.

In the same way, if i install Windows XP on this laptop (which it had previously) , it works without any lags at all - every animation shows up as it should, everything works normally.

I tried to lookup a solution on Google, but unfortunately i couldn't find anything about this, so I thought, maybe you guys could post some clues about this strange problem.

Couple things i also tried:

1) Took out BIOS battery, completely discharged all circuits.
    2) Swapped the memory sticks, made a quick test with Memtest86

I would appreciate any feedback or tips about this, and thanks, as always!

Re: Asus F5Z & Windows 7 = progress bar animations goes superfast

Problem solved. Turns out the touchpad had a bad circuitry, which caused those lags. (i suspect, that something was spilled on it previously). Once i disconnected it from the motherboard, everything started to work normally.

Also the interesting thing is, when i leaved it connected, but disabled it in BIOS - nothing changed - lags was still there.

I will later post some more updates about this, but for now the solution is apparent.

P.s. didn't noticed it on XP, because I always use an external mouse, so i even didn't knew at that time, the touchpad was faulty
    Last edited by edgars_ab; 03-18-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

I must admit, i'm too fast in making assumptions lol, anyway i will make a few more posts about this problem, just in case others have something similar in future, so maybe somebody will find this useful.

I tried 3 more times to replug the touchpad, just to confirm, that it's indeed faulty, and 2 of 3 times the problem reappeared. 3rd time was strange - it suddenly started to work without any lags, but i knew, that this could be temporarily. After a couple of restarts - of course problem was showing up again - windows 7 "turbo mode" on.

I also cleaned the touchpad circuit with isopropyl, but this had no effect. So for now, actually I can't prove my previous assumption - if it's touchpad circuit or not. In the same way the fault could be in motherboard. However, without touchpad attached, everything works just fine. For now I will try to find a replacement for touchpad circuit (I think I have it), and get back with results.

Comment

UPDATE: The problem gets more interesting. It turned out, that when the laptop cools down completely, after turning it on without touchpad attached, it also shows these lags. However, if i turn off the laptop, plug in the touchpad, turn on laptop, then turn off and unplug the touchpad, it will start to work normally. Hah, i don't know even what to do. I think I will need to take a deeper look on that motherboard.

Comment

Working...
        X