Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

I'm not too surprised to see a Micron CRT. They also had cases, keyboards, mice, and probably some other hardware with their brand on them. Not sure who made it for them, but they were usually decent quality as far as I remember. When I was in middle school, all of our classrooms were equipped with Pentium 3 Macron PCs, Macron CRT monitors, and Macron keyboards.
    I think it was these ones:
    http://www.sabcal.com/images/micron_pc.jpg
    I learned to (properly) type on one of these back then.
    No, not confusing them with Macron haha. I never knew Micron made all those things though. I love that setup, I wish I had it, actually

Well, you should have seen the looks on people's faces when I moved out of my first college apartment 2 summers ago . Some people even asked me if I was shooting a film taking place in the 90's (similar to Office Space ). No one could believe that anyone (sane) would still use these old things.
    Man, I need to visit you some time. I think we would be best friends lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      No, not confusing them with Macron haha. I never knew Micron made all those things though. I love that setup, I wish I had it, actually
      Yeah, good little system back in the days. Also made really loud beep tone at POST, if I remember correctly.

By the way, turns out I do have a Micron keyboard. It's a little older than the one in the above picture (no Windows and right-click menu keys, and Enter key is really big) and uses rubber domes and has metal backing. Very nice and clicky, though. Almost mistook it for a mechanical keyboard. If it wasn't for the small Backspace key (due to it being split for the "\" character), I'd use it as my main keyboard.

Man, I need to visit you some time. I think we would be best friends lol
      Yes, you're always welcome! And in general, if you ever do come visit the East Coast and need a place to stay/crash, let me know. I think you know my address already.

Comment

For CRTs I think horizontal resolution is pretty much limited by monitor bandwidth.
        Vertical resolution is limited by the PLL and line tracer in the monitor... if it can't lock onto the vertical retrace it will give up and the image will be trashed.

My "good" video cards are currently driving my LCDs. My crappy video cards won't do 2048x1536 for my Trinitron CRT... though recently I've got a small influx of better 'crappy' video cards.

Now whether or not I want to recap a GeForce 6200 or not... All of its caps blew up, but it's better than an ATI Rage 64 (8MB RAM, not enough video ram for 2048x1536 true color for starters)...

Comment

Historically, ATI video cards had a much better RAMDAC and overall better analogue section (less blurry images, sharper text etc).

On the newer video cards, there's less focus on the analogue stuff, and more on Displayport and hdmi, so I suspect the vga outputs are of less quality - also they spec the vga outputs to maximum 1920x1200 (Intel definitely does it with their integrated video stuff)

Anyways, I'm more and more tempted to replace my two 1920x 1200/1080 monitors with a single 32-40" 4k monitor

I've looked at this Phillips 40" one for a long time but there's several reviews that put me off, some say it's quite blue (can be calibrated but still..) and some say the subpixels are layed out a bit differently compared to most monitors and that means i'd have to adjust the Cleartype settings in Windows and other crap like this...

I'm hoping in a few months there's going to be some decent 4k monitor with Freesync showing up.

Comment

I saw this thing in Goodwill today for $19! I wish I had the space for it. I really wanted to take it home with me and use it as my main TV lol
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Well, you should have seen the looks on people's faces when I moved out of my first college apartment 2 summers ago . Some people even asked me if I was shooting a film taking place in the 90's (similar to Office Space ). No one could believe that anyone (sane) would still use these old things.
              u should have given your dorm mates a good education about the good ol' stuff and why they dont make em like they used to. all study and no play makes jack a dull boy... like a fictional grandpa once said in the other thread:
              Originally posted by Grandpa Pentium4
              well kids, long before your time back in grandpa's time during the 90s, we built things and pcs to last a long time. not the buy n' throwaway sheet u see today in 2050. everything was built with both IQ and EQ. today, things are built with neither IQ nor EQ. stupid designs, cost cutting decisions, totally brainless lack of IQ design there. EQ i dont need to say. if it spoils, they just say thats your own problem! and u're on your own.
              Man, I need to visit you some time.
              me three! i would like to view your personal home museum some day. dont charge me an entry fee just because im a foreign tourist ok plz?
              I saw this thing in Goodwill today for $19! I wish I had the space for it. I really wanted to take it home with me and use it as my main TV lol
              waaaah a crt and a hdtv to boot?! a fine rare item i must say! if its 19 bucks its definitely a steal. panny made some crappy plasma displays till they got sued in a class action lawsuit! so its a steal, assuming panny didnt have any issues with their crts like they did with their plasmas. looks like panny pulled off a kzg with their plasma tvs!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                waaaah a crt and a hdtv to boot?! a fine rare item i must say! if its 19 bucks its definitely a steal. panny made some crappy plasma displays till they got sued in a class action lawsuit! so its a steal, assuming panny didnt have any issues with their crts like they did with their plasmas. looks like panny pulled off a kzg with their plasma tvs!
                I know It had HDMI too and the entire thing was in excellent shape. I'm sure the picture is amazing. When I have the space I would love to own one! I still prefer the picture of a tube over a flat screen

Comment

looks like panny pulled off a kzg with their plasma tvs!
                  QFT! Hit-and-miss.....
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

1920x1440 @120Hz on a Phillips Brilliance 107P4 17". Trinitron tube as well.

I can only say...this is the next most awesome CRT I've laid my eyes on,along with Sony Trinitrons and an AOC 17" I have at another place,hooked up to.... *drum roll!*...a Phenom II X4 960T system. Yes,a 960T. The old 17" LCD it has is one of LordMMX (if you saw MP-Tuners Pentium II/Vista clips back in 2005-2008)masterpieces - a bit of the screen is covered by colored lines. Elonex branded,never heard of that brand.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

What the hell? I did not get that much from 202P4. Which reminds me it is still bad for last two years…
                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

CRT Monitors are awesome, nothing beats one for having it close to your bed to watch movies.

Comment

Or for playing games on a classic NES.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                            My crappy video cards won't do 2048x1536 for my Trinitron CRT... though recently I've got a small influx of better 'crappy' video cards.
                            You really wouldn't want to run your Trinitrons at 2048x1536, anyways. Even a few of the 21" screens will look a tiny bit blurry at 1600x1200.

Now whether or not I want to recap a GeForce 6200 or not... All of its caps blew up, but it's better than an ATI Rage 64 (8MB RAM, not enough video ram for 2048x1536 true color for starters)...
                            ATI Rage . Sure as heck can make anyone rage. Only a slight upgrade from the ATI Rage XL on my HP NetServer E800 - man, talk about slow. That thing can't even handle 1024x768 on its own. It boggs down the CPU to do everything. Should be renamed ATI Rage CDD (Crude Display Device).

Also, let me guess... that GeForce 6200 is made by eVGA, XFX, or Galaxy. Here's what mine looked like:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37602
                            Yes, it's worth recapping it. The GeForce 6200 isn't much good for gaming, but it's more than enough for desktop use.

Originally posted by Dan81
                            1920x1440 @120Hz on a Phillips Brilliance 107P4 17". Trinitron tube as well.

Was anything even visible at that resolution? Also, are you sure it was a Trinitron tube? IIRC, Philips was always shadow mask or Chromaclear in some cases. If it was a Trinitron, I bet the vertical convergence was terrible. Trinitrons always have good horizontal convergence, due to the aperture grill design.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1453786208
                            Nice, I didn't know Panasonic made widescreen CRTs. I've only seen Sony, Samsung, and Philips do (and possibly Toshiba, too). Every once in a while, you can find one of these being given out on my local Craigslist. I'd get one as well, if I had the space. $19 is still a fair price, though.

u should have given your dorm mates a good education about the good ol' stuff and why they dont make em like they used to.
                            Ha! Half of my dorm mates were heavy stoners - they couldn't be bothered to give a stinky fart about anything. The other half got chased away by the former, due to their laid-back habits. And either way, I think the most serious discussion we ever got into was a fictitious scenario about whether or not any one of use would go out with a much older woman (40+), provided that she was good looking... but I digress here

me three! i would like to view your personal home museum some day. dont charge me an entry fee just because im a foreign tourist ok plz?
                            Entrance is free, but there will be a huge penalty if I see any finger smudges on the glass of my CRT screens .
                            Even my dumpster-picked CRTs (only two of them, actually) get cleaned to a squeak:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1454371945

waaaah a crt and a hdtv to boot?! a fine rare item i must say!
                            The late Sony's and Samsung's had them too. The Sony's did have a few problems, though - mainly with the power supplies, IIRC (the MCZ3001D PWM ICs, I think).

so its a steal, assuming panny didnt have any issues with their crts like they did with their plasmas.
                            If the guts of that widescreen above are anything like the other older 4:3 black Panasonic TV's I've seen from the early-mid 90's, then they are bullet-proof. I've seen a countless number of those being given out on the local Craislist, and not a single thing wrong with any of them. Just about every hotel, motel, and school classroom used to have these. Never saw one break.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Was anything even visible at that resolution? Also, are you sure it was a Trinitron tube? IIRC, Philips was always shadow mask or Chromaclear in some cases. If it was a Trinitron, I bet the vertical convergence was terrible. Trinitrons always have good horizontal convergence, due to the aperture grill design.
                              It actually is. Believe it or not,Philips was crazy enough to make that resolution the native resolution. And yes,it's a 100% Trinitron tube.

The colors are so vivid on it that my Horizon H-W2205S (a custom-built Benq FP92W from what I know) is
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                It actually is. Believe it or not,Philips was crazy enough to make that resolution the native resolution. And yes,it's a 100% Trinitron tube.
                                Even if it's clear, that's still crazy-small on a 17" screen! No scratch that - the viewable diagonal is only 15.9" for 17" CRTs. Did you increase all of the system fonts and icon sizes? I just can't imagine how painful that would be to look at from any reasonable distance without squinting your eyes all the time.

Anyways, I also wonder what tube that 17" of yours had. My D1025HTX and D1025TM (both 17" Trinitrons) have M41LKN70X and M41LKN50X tubes, respectively. I guess those are run-of-the-mill??

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                The colors are so vivid on it that my Horizon H-W2205S (a custom-built Benq FP92W from what I know) is
                                No doubt there.
                                I find that 17" and 19" tubes usually offer the best contrast. With the 21" tubes, not always - at least not with my Trinitrons. Only my Hitachi SuperScan 814 has good contrast that is actually comparable to the smaller tubes.

Comment

I ended up replacing most of the caps on the GeForce 6200 (256M -- this is a lot of memory compared to most of my video cards minus my 1G RadeonHD 5770). I ended up putting in cheap and some phony caps I "got had" that I had onto it, because I wasn't sure if the card worked. When I first stuck the card in, bad caps and all, my computer would not even finish POST. After putting the "new" caps in, it at least POSTed and looks like the Linux Nouveau driver works fine. It's slow however, seems like a 64-bit RAM data bus card. I'll need to see if there's a way within Linux to be sure.

Now I wonder if I should replace the rest of the caps. I had chumped the card replacing two pairs of exploded 1000 microfarad capacitors with two fake nichicon 3300 16V microfarad capacitors (which I measured to be 2200 microfarad, probably 10V, and look like teapos). And one 1000 microfarad capacitor I swapped with another 1000 microfarad 16V Chongx. All of them I had to make the capacitors bend over as they're way too high and would run into the card right next to it.

Since the original caps were all 6V, I figure the slightly higher voltage margin might help things out a bit.

I suspect this GeForce 6200 may end up killing these new caps too as it's fanless, and probably can get quite hot. Alas, I don't think I'll use this card much anyway. It's a spare... maybe I should dump the Rage.

Comment

It's slow however, seems like a 64-bit RAM data bus card.
                                    hmm i can help identify if its a 64 bit or 128 bit version by looking at the arrangement/placement of the ram chips. if its arranged in an "L" pattern its 128 bit. if its in an "I" pattern, esp if its a low profile board, its 64bit. post a pic of the card to be sure.

another way, is to look at the part numbers printed on the ram chips and then looking up the part numbers to see if its an 8, 16 or 32 bit wide individual memory chip then multiply it by the number of ram chips on the card. that will give u either 64 or 128 which is the overall bus width of the video memory.

and lastly, please put a fan on that gf 6200. its affected by the bumpgate scandal which means NO operating at temperatures above 60°C or else u will get treated to an "abstract art painting" on your screen soon enuff...
                                    Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Ah that's probably a good way to guess. And yeah this looks like it's a 64-bit card despite the amount of ram on it (256M). I also have a bunch of Radeon 9250's with 128M but have bumps for another 128M, I wonder how bad it would be to stick more RAM chips on it... and in this case the bumps are in an 'L' formation to each other and thus the 128M upgrade is more of the 128-bit upgrade...

Comment

256MB 64-bit GeForce 6200, partially recapped.

Before

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1454478594

After (and yes those two caps on the top also need to be replaced... they )

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1454478594

Sorry about hijacking thread... just wonder if the RAMDAC in this is better for my CRT monitors
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Even if it's clear, that's still crazy-small on a 17" screen! No scratch that - the viewable diagonal is only 15.9" for 17" CRTs. Did you increase all of the system fonts and icon sizes? I just can't imagine how painful that would be to look at from any reasonable distance without squinting your eyes all the time.

Anyways, I also wonder what tube that 17" of yours had. My D1025HTX and D1025TM (both 17" Trinitrons) have M41LKN70X and M41LKN50X tubes, respectively. I guess those are run-of-the-mill??
                                          No doubt it's small. I have to stay very close to the screen so I can read the fonts,especially on Windows 7.

I still have this monitor,and although it works perfectly,I don't want to die from the high voltages inside (seriously)
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X