Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Vaio systemboard

Hi Guys ,

I have Sony Vaio Laptop will not turn on @ all I take it a part I can't see no visible Damege on the Motherboard , Looks good ... no visible damege on the caps ... also tested power jack, CPU and AC adapter , all passed

any idea what could be the problem ?!!

[IMG]

Re: Sony Vaio systemboard

Originally posted by badcaps
    Hi Guys ,

I have Sony Vaio Laptop will not turn on @ all I take it a part I can't see no visible Damege on the Motherboard , Looks good ... no visible damege on the caps ... also tested power jack, CPU and AC adapter , all passed

any idea what could be the problem ?!!

[IMG]
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...caps/Sony2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...caps/Sony1.jpg
    Last edited by badcaps; 07-26-2005, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Those look like sanyo's to me, not electrolytics...
      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

MD Willington ...
        This is a freind laptop who asked me to look @ his systemboard ... I don't have an idea if somone replaced the caps or not :\

Comment

I doubt they were replaced, a laptop is quite the environment for a capacitor to live in...the higher the temperature the shorter the lifespan of a capacitor...laptops get pretty hot internally.

MD
          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I don't know where to look .. no visable damege on the Motherboard .... I have 5 other laptops (dell , HP , Sony) they have the same problem ... why laptop systemboards goes bad ?!!! is it a cap ?
            I saw some guys on ebay they offer to fix any systemboard for $99 and they said this is the cos for replacing the CMOS chips , which coz the power problems !!! make no sence !!

Comment

you didnt say what vaio it was. anyway check this thread. It is not the caps.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/5449/?o=0
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

thanks willawake ... memory will solve the problem .. my sony is PCG-F270

Comment

good luck with your repair
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Just a guess, but I've had to replace inline fuses by the power jack in the past on laptops. The laptop won't charge the battery and won't boot with no wall or battery juice. The inline fust looks like a plastic case tant cap or an encapsulated inductor. It's worth a quick multi-meter probe to rule that out.

Sheldon

Comment

I'm currently working on a VAIO that a friend gave me and I'm having a similar problem. It's a PCV-RX650 with two 256MB PC2100's. I haven't put it back on my desk to try taking out one of the dimms, but if it does end up being the same problem the laptops have, has anyone made any progress on why this happens? Is it capacitors related to the RAM slots?

The board is very nice looking and is loaded with Rubycons (didn't see which line), but while my friend had it, it would lock up at random, and sometimes have to be left off for a while to come back. Now that I have it, I took it apart and cleaned everything, put it all back and started loading XP, and it locked sometime after the first reboot of the install. It would restart and post, but lock at the post screen. Then it wouldn't come back at all. So I swapped my recapped SL350 onto it and that didn't help, even with it taken down to nothing but the video card and a keyboard. And it's not the video card; it's definitely the motherboard. (Again, I'll try removing one of the dimms later to see if that's what's up.) I can't get it to come up past the post screen. It will make the first post beep and lock. Just before it started getting so bad, I had gotten it to boot once to the post screen where it said that the hardware monitor had noticed an error so I went into the bios and didn't see anything unusual, rebooted it, it said the same thing, but this time it locked.

I would love to work with this system cause it's a neat little beast with lots of features. Any suggestions on what I should do if I find it has the same problem as the laptops?
                      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Do you own a port80 card? They help a lot narrowing down the possible causes.
                        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Never heard of it.

Comment

POST card or hardware analyzer card.

Comment

The Port80/POST cards only work in systems with an ISA or PCI bus - they're of no use for laptops/notebooks unless there's a docking station with a fully-finctional ISA/PCI slot.

Comment

That memory issue sounds similar to an old Compaq EVO desktop I sold since I didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Whenever I upgraded from the stock 250MB of memory the system would freeze randomly and most of the time refuse to boot.

The max RAM for that system board was 2 GB. So I purchased a 1 GB stick of the proper RAM I can't remember the PC number maybe 2100.

Even if I left the 250MB in there and installed another stick in the remaining slot no dice if I removed the 250MB and put the new memory in the 250s slot still nothing.

If that is your problem I feel your frustration.

Thats why I built my current computer custom and no problems.
                                Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM.
                                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                                  The Port80/POST cards only work in systems with an ISA or PCI bus - they're of no use for laptops/notebooks unless there's a docking station with a fully-finctional ISA/PCI slot.
                                  USB/Parallel + PCI POST card

Pretty nifty.

Comment

The problem you describe seems to be a memory problem. I support Krankshafts input. Have shuffled memory cards yet?
                                    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                                    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                                    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                                    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                                    Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                                    33 way card reader
                                    Windows XP Pro SP3
                                    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                                    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                                    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Did this morning. I took Dimm2 out, nothing, I took dimm1 out, got a beep, took the video card out and got a different beep. Put a stick of RAM in slot1, got a post beep. Turn it off and back on, got nothing again. I tried every combination I could, including using each stick by itself in either slot and it won't come up again. It's totally intermittent and only seems to come back after left off for some time and even then it goes away right after the first post, if it posts at all. It has progressively gotten worse since it was at my friends house so it leads me to think it's possible a capacitor related problem.

I was looking at the caps today, the power supply still looks perfect of course and is filled with Rubycons and UCC's, and again putting my recapped Antec on it does nothing for the system. The motherboard has mostly Rubycons, but while peeking inside today it seems that the smaller caps which reside around the RAM slots are OST's of the RMH line, which is just their low-profile 105c. Maybe I should just try replacing those little OST bad boys for now.

Comment

Well, I replaced all the OST's that were near the RAM slots with Panny FM's and now it doesn't seem to matter how many times I turn it off and on, I will always get a long beep if the memory is out*, but no matter what config of memory I use, it won't do anything if I stick any RAM in it... although, I haven't tried any other sticks besides the two that were in it originally... where are those blasted things, lol! Never when I need them, you know? But at least that's progress. Any ideas on what I should do? (Like, "Do a full recap," or "Chuck it!")

*Before it would do nothing, regardless of whether the RAM was out, intermittently at times.

Comment

Working...
                                        X