• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this a bad idea for a capacitor?

is the below a bad thing to do?
    Attached Files

Re: is this a bad idea for a capacitor?

Probably because if it needs to Vent it cant meaning it will likely explode or push the bung out.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

vent? heat or something else

Comment

Is that card board sleeve holding down the cap?
        Not mechanical secured mounting.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

no its a bit of double sided sticky foam, I think I'll find another way to mount it.

Comment

using a 16v cap in a car? that wont last long!

Comment

why's a 16v a bad idea?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by cam4441; 04-20-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

What device is that in?
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cam4441 View Post
                  why's a 16v a bad idea?
                  because when a car is running, the voltage is generally about 14.5v and sometimes a bit higher - you have no headway to deal with spikes without exceeding the cap's limit.

it should be [continuous voltage] x1.5.

so atleast 22v - use a 25v cap

Comment

The voltage that runs through the cap is 7v its only for the receiver
                    Its an RC car TechGeek

Comment

then my mistake.
                      why do you need it though?
                      Last edited by stj; 04-26-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

it keeps the voltage stable servos glitch and shake without them

Comment

no its a bit of double sided sticky foam, I think I'll find another way to mount it.
                          If it's double-sided sticky foam, then it's fine to leave the cap like that. Should the cap go bad, the vent will push out and open without problems.

What you don't want to do with caps is seal their top with epoxy or have the whole cap tight against something... which you don't have, so it is okay.

it keeps the voltage stable servos glitch and shake without them
                          I'm guessing that connects to the receiver battery terminal, correct?

Makes me curious what brand that capacitor is. I've seen some sellers on eBay offering cheap low-quality caps for these. But I guess it doesn't really matter that much anyways, since the caps are hardly stressed at all filtering power to the receiver. Even a low-quality brand should last a while in that spot.
                          Just FYI, though, there is nothing special about those caps. You can easily make your own for a fraction of the price, especially if you have some access to junk electronics like TV boards and such.
                          Last edited by momaka; 04-28-2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

When you said tight against something you mean the top of it and venting is that it would push the bung out instead of venting. If it was to firmly fastened at the top.

the next picture down with the zip tie should be ok?

I'm not sure of the brand but it probably is a crappy one
                            Last edited by cam4441; 05-03-2016, 03:04 AM.

Comment

When you said tight against something you mean the top of it and venting is that it would push the bung out instead of venting.
                              Correct.
                              The "X" you see on top of the cap is a pressure safety vent. When too much pressure builds inside the capacitor, it will bulge and eventually the vent will slowly release the pressure.

However, if the cap is glued down and the vent is blocked, then the cap will try to push out of the rubber bung on the bottom when pressure builds up (that is, if the cap fails, of course). The difference is that the bung may not always release the pressure in a safe way. So that's why it is important that the cap vent is not blocked.

the next picture down with the zip tie should be ok?
                              Yes, that is fine.

The only note I have about that is to be careful when tightening the zip tie so as not to crush, dent, or deform the cap body. Usually, a cap will still work even if you do. But it could also short out or build up pressure inside.

I'm not sure of the brand but it probably is a crappy one
                              Well, the good news is that the power that is fed to the receiver from the ESC is typically linearly regulated inside the ESC. So that capacitor isn't really getting stressed at all. Thus, even a crappy brand will likely last a long time. I was just curious for the brand, since this is badcaps.net, after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X