Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps? Phillips HiFi

Hi all
    I have a Phillips hifi here which has intermittent sound. I can hear music through earphones with no problem. It also has a second station connected via wifi which works fine, but the main base station doesn't play music through the speakers. Sometimes absolutely nothing comes out. Sometimes it plays for varying lengths of time (from just a split second to a minute). I can't see any external signs of loose connections.
    I opened it up and went straight to (or what I think is) the amp board to check the caps. None of them look bulged but there looks like a resin around all the big caps which I've not seen before - almost looks like a leak or burnt..?
    Take a look at the images included. I'd love to know if it's normal or not, or if you spot anything I've missed!
    Thanks in advance!!

Photos:
    http://1drv.ms/1Q4sZwR

Re: Bad caps? Phillips HiFi

All that black stuff around the capacitors and inductors (the black round things near the light green capacitors) was a dark white/cream silicone semi-flexible material.
    As it dried out, it became black and it also started to become conductive, so it's quite possible that material causes shorts or small resistance between various components under that material.

The initial purpose of that material was to keep the large parts in place during soldering and to prevent the parts from vibrating inside the box when you play music on that unit.

My advice would be to carefully scrape that black crap away from the parts and the boards. Carefully is the word, you don't want to break those small surface mounted components.
    Some acetone may help soften that material.

Once you get rid of that black crap, if you still have problems, get back to us.

Comment

No image is loading there, please upload few images to the forums. All the image hostings are PoS.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

things like that could be the headfone socket switch contacts.

Comment

Thanks mariushm, very interesting! Is it common for the silicone to dry up like that? What could cause it?
          Well, after a full 2 hours worth of painfully scraping and wiping with acetone (this stuff does NOT come away easily!!), I ended up breaking one of the surface mounted components clean off
          So disappointing!
          I've tried emailing Philips for a replacement board, but I'm pretty sure the answer will be a No!

Comment

foto's of the board and part. pls
            sounds fixable.

Comment

3 new photos added to original link..not sure I can solder something that small!

Comment

I would attempt to resolder with a fine tipped iron... the key words here are fine tipped. Another option is to bodge on a through-hole component with the same rating and make sure it doesn't short with anything. Shorted components will create a pile of burnt-silicon-smelling rubbish.
                Last edited by nkeck72; 11-29-2015, 01:35 PM. Reason: formatting issues
                Cheers!

"It won't take long if you take it one byte at a time." - me

"WHOSE IDEA WAS THIS?" - too many people to count

"Go back to the depths of SourceForge from whence ye came."

All my software crap: https://www.github.com/nkeck720

Comment

well i cant see the foto's because all m$ domains are in my blocklist.
                  (and i'm keeping it that way on principle)

Comment

Working...
                  X