This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

^ SHT... hmm... Missing an "I" in that series name.

(mod note- the pics were uploaded in a quasi-duplicate thread. Not off-site. Also, the thread was a quasi-dupe and it was soft-deleted to preserve the attachments)
    Last edited by ratdude747; 09-16-2012, 03:14 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Here some more failed KZG series

Attached Files

Comment

3 dead Ruby's on an Intel mobo I'm betting it's cause of the failed CapXon's that were in the SPI PSU powering the computer...
        Attached Files

Comment

What series were those Rubycons? If they're MBZ or MCZ, I believe, an overabundance of heat and ripple from the PSU definitely did away with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
            What series were those Rubycons? If they're MBZ or MCZ, I believe, an overabundance of heat and ripple from the PSU definitely did away with them.
            I'm pretty sure I chucked the motherboard at work but if my memory serves me right, they were MCZ, definitely one of the 2. Is that a lower end of Rubycon? Cause I was under the impression that they don't have a single bad series like KZG for UCC

Comment

No one knows for sure but there has been a scary trend of Rubycon MBZ/MCZ failures on well designed motherboards and systems reported on this forum. Some suspect they're sensitive to heat and no one knows if the electrolyte is unstable or not in them but others think they just die from bad PSUs.

Comment

No one knows for sure but there has been a scary trend of Rubycon MBZ/MCZ failures on well designed motherboards and systems reported on this forum. Some suspect they're sensitive to heat and no one knows if the electrolyte is unstable or not in them but others think they just die from bad PSUs.
                Yeah, I would guess it was the PSU. I can't tell you how many PSU's I see here at work that have bad caps. The most common failures I see are CapXon, YC, Teapo in that order

Comment

wao, so today, i have my friend came in with his monitor, this is one 2232BW, what a beautiful out of mode LCD. And his monitor has a problem of turning off automatically in every 30minutes. ok, so i first thought that it can because of extra heat, but nope, there are plenty of bad boys inside

here some pics of bad boys

25v ?, humh

25v everywhere ...

have a nice day, everybody

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    3 dead Ruby's on an Intel mobo I'm betting it's cause of the failed CapXon's that were in the SPI PSU powering the computer...
                    The more likely cause for their death is those regulators right next to them because they probably run quite hot. I don't know how well Intel designs their boards, but the Foxconn boards in the older Pentium 4 era Dells always have at least 1 or 2 burning-hot MOSFETs somewhere.

Originally posted by Wester547
                    What series were those Rubycons?
                    With that color, probably MCZ.
                    MCZ are good series but they can't stand the very high heat in those small form factor "mini-oven" computers. The only brand that can is Panasonic.
                    On the other hand, Chemicon KZG and KZJ seem to fail sometimes even without much stress.

Comment

Which MOSFET did you feel getting hot in a Dell Dimension motherboard from Foxconn/Intel? I don't know why they'd be so hot in a desktop that's doing nothing but idling.

Comment

Which MOSFET did you feel getting hot in a Dell Dimension motherboard from Foxconn/Intel? I don't know why they'd be so hot in a desktop that's doing nothing but idling.
                        The PSU's usually have LTEC caps in them. (at least the delta-made PSUs do)
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Failed 3300/6.3 Chemicon KZG caps on a rather elderly (2003) Asrock K7S8X that is about to be the subject of my first attempt at repairing. Thought I'd post a picture for posterity's sake in case it all goes tits up...
                          Attached Files

Comment

If the small black caps are KZJs, replace them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                              If the small black caps are KZJs, replace them too.
                              Thanks.

They're 1000/6.3 TMZs, the green caps are 1500/6.3 KZEs. All look (visibly) OK, I was going to take my chances and just replace the four KZGs...

Comment

TMZs also have the problem; KZEs don't.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  The more likely cause for their death is those regulators right next to them because they probably run quite hot. I don't know how well Intel designs their boards, but the Foxconn boards in the older Pentium 4 era Dells always have at least 1 or 2 burning-hot MOSFETs somewhere.

With that color, probably MCZ.
                                  MCZ are good series but they can't stand the very high heat in those small form factor "mini-oven" computers. The only brand that can is Panasonic.
                                  On the other hand, Chemicon KZG and KZJ seem to fail sometimes even without much stress.
                                  And they still lasted a while. It had a Pentium Dual Core in it. It was heavily used for about 5 years, and now that I think about it the case it was in didn't have an exhaust fan and it's a tiny ATX case

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                    TMZs also have the problem; KZEs don't.
                                    OK, thanks again for the info.

If replacing the KZGs goes well I'll replace all (13) of the TMZs...

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                      The PSU's usually have LTEC caps in them. (at least the delta-made PSUs do)
                                      Oh, I understand how ripple from aging and subpar PSU caps can heat up a motherboard.... sorry, I didn't mean to sound short with anyone. Yes, though, to my knowledge, those Dell Newton Powers do have some Ltec and Rubycon in them, though I believe the much older ones are mostly Nichicon and/or Taicon and Chemicon.

Comment

The Dell computers I saw this in weren't from the Dimension line.
                                        One is an Optiplex GX270. The other is actually 2x Dell Optiplex 170L. IIRC, the GX260 motherboards are very similar to the GX270 ones, so they probably have the same problems. The 170L boards look more like the ones found in the Dimension so the Dimension line may be affected as well. IMO, Foxconn screwed up on the design - for the low-power rails on the motherboard, they are using MOSFETs in a linear fashion for the most part, which is highly inefficient. Either that, or they designed it properly but not up to the task for the load they were going to carry.

I also have a Dimension 3000 at home. Will check that to see if anything runs hot.
                                        In any case, it's not the power supplies in these that are causing the problem. In fact, dirty power from a bad power supply rarely causes VRMs or MOSFETs to overheat.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 09-27-2012, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I do think that dirty power from a power supply can cause capacitors to receive more ripple and run hotter at load (along with hard drives), though... at least that may be the case when we're talking about 10+ year old Dell Newton Power/Delta PSUs with LTECs in them.
                                          Last edited by Wester547; 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X