Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sck 054

SCK 054

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know the value of this type of bead like capacitor. I have been told that it is a Thermistor cap but no thermistor that I can find looks like this one. This is the size of about 10mm across and is coloured green and looks like the blue type bead capacitors that are on most boards. This one had blown and I took it out of the power supply board and it had also blown the fuse. The board said RT1 just where I took this cap out of does this give some clue to the value of this SCK 054 type cap. Many Thanks for reply in advance Chris

Re: Sck 054

It is a thermistor
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by crn View Post
      SCK 054

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know the value of this type of bead like capacitor. I have been told that it is a Thermistor cap but no thermistor that I can find looks like this one. This is the size of about 10mm across and is coloured green and looks like the blue type bead capacitors that are on most boards. This one had blown and I took it out of the power supply board and it had also blown the fuse. The board said RT1 just where I took this cap out of does this give some clue to the value of this SCK 054 type cap. Many Thanks for reply in advance Chris
      That's a thermistor actually. Even the markings indicated that. Tracing the circuit around it would reveal its actual purpose. Most thermistors will have the appearance of a large ceramic disc capacitor, and is usually in series with the mains power line (always on the Live side) often just before the filter circuits. Also do beware of another type of component called varistors which also can look like a large ceramic disc capacitor, and is usually connected in parallel on the mains power lines (between Live and Neutral)...
      Last edited by lexwalker; 06-30-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Yes, it's a thermistor, used for limiting inrush current in the PSU when the primary capacitors first charge up.

SCK 054 is a common model I see in power supplies. You can buy them on eBay or electronics suppliers like Farnell, Digikey, Mouser etc.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
        X