Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo Capacitors Replacement job on Asus A7V-SM motherboard

Hi All,

It is about time, I attempt to replace 11 units of Sanyo capacitors.
    There are 1500uf, 6.3V, diameter = 10mm.
    As usual, I am bit confused about which Sanyo capacitors to use.
    Besides that, Sanyo don't make capacitors any more, information on
    replacement ones are hard to find.

I have found some Low Profile version from this eBay seller from UK.
    Check out this link:http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/SANYO-Low...item4ad04791a7

Are these Low Profile Sanyo capacitors any good???
    Would they able to stand the heat? (since I am living in the
    tropical country)

Please see the attached picture of some bulging Sanyo capacitors.

Your advice is most appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: Sanyo Capacitors Replacement job on Asus A7V-SM motherboard

Don't buy caps on eBay, 90% of them are fakes, including the ones you've linked.

Badcaps.net sells capacitors, here is one example:
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=147

But do post what series of Sanyo caps yours are, it's written on the opposite side of the cap from where you have taken the pictures... (The linked capacitor above might be too low ESR, it's usually not a problem for a CPU VRM though)

Also take a look at your power supply, it might have bad caps too because Sanyo failures are extremely rare...
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      Don't buy caps on eBay, 90% of them are fakes, including the ones you've linked.

Badcaps.net sells capacitors, here is one example:
      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=147

But do post what series of Sanyo caps yours are, it's written on the opposite side of the cap from where you have taken the pictures... (The linked capacitor above might be too low ESR, it's usually not a problem for a CPU VRM though)

Also take a look at your power supply, it might have bad caps too because Sanyo failures are extremely rare...
      In the past, I did bought a capacitor kit from Badcaps.net store.
      But, because of the currency conversion, the international shipping
      cost a lot. That is why I turned to eBay, to source out replacement
      capacitors. I won't go to my local RS store because their capacitors
      are really costly.

Is there anyway to differentiate the fakes and real ones on the eBay?

Currently the motherboard is being used as a Linux Firewall at 24/7
      operation, to find the series, I need to do another round of checking.
      Which is a real hassle, because some users cannot use the internet.
      Does it really matter though?

Anyway, even since, I detected the capacitors are bulging,
      I immediately took off old cheap Power Supply Unit and thrown out
      to the bin.

So, at the moment, for this mini project, I am actually sourcing out
      2nd hand Power Supply Unit
      (not really care about the watts, 300-400 watts will suffice)
      I am think of getting the ANTEC Power Suppy Unit on eBay.
      I heard that ANTEC is a good brand.

and...

Also sourcing out replacement capacitors for this motherboard.

Thank you.
      Last edited by liukuohao; 02-28-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liukuohao View Post
        Hi All,

It is about time, I attempt to replace 11 units of Sanyo capacitors.
        There are 1500uf, 6.3V, diameter = 10mm.
        As usual, I am bit confused about which Sanyo capacitors to use.
        Besides that, Sanyo don't make capacitors any more, information on
        replacement ones are hard to find.

I have found some Low Profile version from this eBay seller from UK.
        Check out this link:http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/SANYO-Low...item4ad04791a7

Are these Low Profile Sanyo capacitors any good???
        Would they able to stand the heat? (since I am living in the
        tropical country)

Please see the attached picture of some bulging Sanyo capacitors.

Your advice is most appreciated.

Thank you.
        There is no reason to pick old Sanyo capacitors. Don't get Sanyos and especially not those low profile capacitors. Particularly you should choose a major brand new stock designed for very low ESR.

You did not mention specifically what price range your other alternatives are, nor what is considered "very costly". I don't know what hardware is worth there, but due to the very old age and that it is not proprietary but rather a plain consumer grade ATX motherboard, that motherboard is probably worth less than the cost of good capacitors to fix it.

Here is what I recommend for all the failed ones that are 6.3V, 1500uF Panasonic FM series. They also make other voltages if needed.
        http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/p/...itors/5260976/

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

At the moment, I most likely going to buy the Panasonic,
          since it cheaper than the Low Profile Sanyo capacitors
          found at this link: http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/SANYO-Low...item4ad04791a7

Reason being....

(1) Most likely capacitors are fake/imitation when buying from eBay.
          (2) The cost of getting Panasonic capacitor is cheaper than the Sanyo ones at eBay.

Currently, there are 2 options available:

Panasonic FM series: http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.c...6b805f3abe.pdf
          Note: Endurance : 2000 to 7000 hours at +105°C

Panasonic FR series: http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.c...6b80e4e9bf.pdf
          Note: Endurance: 5000 h to 10000 h at +105 °C

I am considering on buying the FR series due to its higher endurance factor,
          and not to mention higher cost than the FM series. It will be good to have it
          since the motherboard is working at 24/7operation. Any advice?

I don't know what hardware is worth there, but due to the very old age and that it is not proprietary but rather a plain consumer grade ATX motherboard, that motherboard is probably worth less than the cost of good capacitors to fix it.
          Yes, it is true that I may as well chuck this old motherboard away, just buy
          another one from eBay.

But my main reason of coming to forum and get motherboard replace with
          new capacitor is for the learning experience!

Also the motherboard has got some sentimental value to me

Thanks.
          Last edited by liukuohao; 03-01-2014, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Hrrrr.....the Panasonic FR series capacitor has got a smaller diameter = 8mm, does not
            fit well for replacing a capacitor with 10mm. I think position of the lead hole will not
            be the same, right?

Please see the attached pics.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by liukuohao; 03-01-2014, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Yes, if you want longer service life then consider the FR caps, but the motherboard is so old already that I didn't think it was worth the extra money. Do not drop down in diameter, use 10mm caps, the largest diameter that will fit.
              Last edited by 999999999; 03-01-2014, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 999999999 View Post
                Yes, if you want longer service life then consider the FR caps, but the motherboard is so old already that I didn't think it was worth the extra money. Do not drop down in diameter, use 10mm caps, the largest diameter that will fit.
                Ok, I will get the FM series. Thanks for the advice!!!

Comment

Be sure to replace all of them pictured, not just the ones that bulged. Actually if there are some similar near the chipset, memory or southbridge, those would be good to replace too as they may also be near end of life, but I think mainly it was the heat that killed the Sanyos.

In that generation of Athlon platform, motherboards often did not support HALT idle correctly (or it was disabled) so they used a lot of power and produced a lot of heat even when they weren't under much of a load.

An additional measure that might help reduce heat is to mount a 2nd fan over that row of capacitors. Something looks a little strange about the way you have the CPU heatsink fan installed in the picture, but otherwise the 2nd fan could be screwed to the mounting holes on the existing fan so you wouldn't need to figure out an alternative mounting bracket for it.

Comment

Be sure to replace all of them pictured, not just the ones that bulged. Actually if there are some similar near the chipset, memory or southbridge, those would be good to replace too as they may also be near end of life, but I think mainly it was the heat that killed the Sanyos.

In that generation of Athlon platform, motherboards often did not support HALT idle correctly (or it was disabled) so they used a lot of power and produced a lot of heat even when they weren't under much of a load.

An additional measure that might help reduce heat is to mount a 2nd fan over that row of capacitors. Something looks a little strange about the way you have the CPU heatsink fan installed in the picture, but otherwise the 2nd fan could be screwed to the mounting holes on the existing fan so you wouldn't need to figure out an alternative mounting bracket for it.
                    HALT idle- Asus A7V-SM does not support it, very interesting, where did
                    you know about this information?

Heat? may be right, but I really think is the lousy cheap PSU (you know
                    those really dirt cheap PSU that does not weight a lot compare to the good
                    quality ones) really kill those good Sanyo capacitors when it is running
                    non stop at 24/7 operation.

I have another motherboard which also using Sanyo capacitors but it was
                    running on a good quality PSU, and the PSU weights a lot heavier than
                    those cheap PSU. I have not seen any of the Sanyo capacitors bulging.
                    And for your information, the motherboard is a Asus P3V4X, it was the
                    first motherboard that I owed back in 1999 and it is still running now, at
                    24/7 operation.

Anyway, regarding about the Fan. Yes, the Fan looks funny....
                    very observant....the original FAN's blades were broken, I had
                    to find another 3 pin replacement FAN that is obviously not meant
                    for the original Heat Sink, and as you probably know I tied together
                    with some flexible insulated single core copper wire.
                    Currently, it is using a new PSU which has a fan blowing out hot
                    air from its internal heat, that will also draw a fair bit of heat
                    away from the motherboard, and plus the PSU is sitting right on top
                    of the CPU Fan and heat sink. Because, I using a very old mirco atx
                    tower casing, it does not provide a rear grill for you to place a case fan.
                    Last edited by liukuohao; 03-02-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liukuohao View Post
                      HALT idle- Asus A7V-SM does not support it, very interesting, where did
                      you know about this information?
                      I don't recall the original source but motherboard manufacturers commonly disabled it because they found the warranty return rates were too high because many budget PSU could not transition the 5V rail fast enough from idle to a high load state for Athlon CPU of the era, and users ended up blaming the wrong components. Unfortunately the situation even persisted in some cases where there was almost no purpose at all, once newer Athlon platforms had switched to using PSU 12V rail for CPU power instead of PSU 5V rail.

There are methods of toggling chipset register bits once the OS has booted to re-enable HALT idle's effectiveness at saving power, but it has been so long since I have dealt with the issue that I don't remember all the finer details of doing it. For example here is one utility claiming to do it, but I don't know if it can do it alone or still needs the chipset bit flipped separately to work:
                      http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...oftcooler.html

Heat? may be right, but I really think is the lousy cheap PSU (you know
                      those really dirt cheap PSU that does not weight a lot compare to the good
                      quality ones) really kill those good Sanyo capacitors when it is running
                      non stop at 24/7 operation.
                      The board is now about 13 to 14 years old. That's more than should be expected, if it had worse capacitors than Sanyos then they probably would have failed a long time ago.

I have another motherboard which also using Sanyo capacitors but it was running on a good quality PSU, and the PSU weights a lot heavier than
                      those cheap PSU. I have not seen any of the Sanyo capacitors bulging.
                      And for your information, the motherboard is a Asus P3V4X, it was the
                      first motherboard that I owed back in 1999 and it is still running now, at
                      24/7 operation.
                      Of course a good PSU can help but at the same time, that's not an Athlon board so the HALT idle likely worked on it. Plus it is hard to really compare because these two boards could have led different service lives over the dozen plus years they have existed.

Anyway, regarding about the Fan. Yes, the Fan looks funny....
                      very observant....the original FAN's blades were broken, I had
                      to find another 3 pin replacement FAN that is obviously not meant
                      for the original Heat Sink, and as you probably know I tied together
                      with some flexible insulated single core copper wire.
                      Currently, it is using a new PSU which has a fan blowing out hot
                      air from its internal heat, that will also draw a fair bit of heat
                      away from the motherboard, and plus the PSU is sitting right on top
                      of the CPU Fan and heat sink. Because, I using a very old mirco atx
                      tower casing, it does not provide a rear grill for you to place a case fan.
                      I would see whether there is space to cut a hole in the case side panel and mount a 92mm (or 120mm if it will fit) there as an intake fan.
                      Last edited by 999999999; 03-02-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Re: Sanyo Capacitors Replacement job on Asus A7S-VM motherboard

I don't recall the original source but motherboard manufacturers commonly disabled it because they found the warranty return rates were too high because many budget PSU could not transition the 5V rail fast enough from idle to a high load state for Athlon CPU of the era, and users ended up blaming the wrong components. Unfortunately the situation even persisted in some cases where there was almost no purpose at all, once newer Athlon platforms had switched to using PSU 12V rail for CPU power instead of PSU 5V rail.

There are methods of toggling chipset register bits once the OS has booted to re-enable HALT idle's effectiveness at saving power, but it has been so long since I have dealt with the issue that I don't remember all the finer details of doing it. For example here is one utility claiming to do it, but I don't know if it can do it alone or still needs the chipset bit flipped separately to work:
                        http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...oftcooler.html

The board is now about 13 to 14 years old. That's more than should be expected, if it had worse capacitors than Sanyos then they probably would have failed a long time ago.

Of course a good PSU can help but at the same time, that's not an Athlon board so the HALT idle likely worked on it. Plus it is hard to really compare because these two boards could have led different service lives over the dozen plus years they have existed.

I would see whether there is space to cut a hole in the case side panel and mount a 92mm (or 120mm if it will fit) there as an intake fan.
                        Hi 999999999,

Thank you for sharing.

I made an error in my opening title, the motherbaord should be A7S-VM motherboard and
                        not A7V-SM. The motherboard is using SIS chipset.
                        According to your link given, the HALT feature is not applicable to SIS
                        chipset. Besides that, I am using Linux OS not Windows, so it won't apply to
                        my case. Please see the pic. attached.
                        Thank you.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by liukuohao; 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

^ I had wondered why I couldn't find a picture of an A7V with caps where yours where.

I see now that some of them did have the yellow Rubycon solid capacitors, but unfortunately they budgetized and didn't use them where they put the Sanyos.

I don't know if the chipset register(s) can be flipped on that chipset or not. An alternate method without software was to directly edit a bios image to start out that way and then flash that to the board, but I can't remember enough about the process to continue investigating it.

It is probably best to just leave it as is. That it survived over a dozen years was good and the Panasonic FM capacitors are a better cap than the Sanyos they would replace.
                          Last edited by 999999999; 03-02-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Phew..... after spending much time and a help from a clamp vice,
                            eventually those 11 pcs of Sanyo caps were out for good.

Having a few weeks of non-stop work and baby sitting my daughter,
                            I finally have some free time to continue this recapping work on my
                            ASUS A7S-VM motherboard ( YES, I made a blunder, it is actually an
                            A7S-VM and not A7V-SM, I made an error on my title for my post)
                            Now, I can proceed and order the replacement Panasonic capacitors from
                            RS at my country.

I must admit getting out the caps requires a bit of technique / skill,
                            for sucking up the solder.

Tip: never do desoldering on a motherboard that is lying upside down
                            flat on the table, if you DO NOT have a proper, expensive desoldering
                            vacuum gun, because from experience, some solder will flow back into
                            to the tiny hole, then getting out the solder will be difficult, and you are
                            likely to ruin the soldering pad. As for me, I used a cheap desoldering build-in
                            with a manual suction vacuum pump. I clamped the motherboard with
                            some anti-static form using a vice, lock in an upright postition.
                            I did my desoldering at 90 degrees angle, so when the solder heated up,
                            flowing back to the hole will not be minimized and hence it would not block
                            the tiny hole.

I have attached some pictures for your viewing.

Question is do I need to replace 1 unit of Rubycon XYG 6.3v 1500uF cap,
                            located at the RAM slot (see the right most pic attached)??? It does looks
                            fine to me. I have missed out this cap.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by liukuohao; 03-14-2014, 11:41 PM.

Comment

^ I doubt that you need to replace the Rubycon cap in question, although it would of course be a more complete recap if you did.

In a pinch you can keep the holes you desoldered open by inserting a dental pick while the solder is molten, and moving it around slightly as the solder hardens so the tool is not soldered to the board.

Comment

Hmm....I am wondering, if you are going to insert a dental pick,
                                I need to be very fast in poking in the tiny hole, right?? If not,
                                then the solder get harden before you have a chance of moving
                                it around.

I never grasp this idea of inserting a dental pick, besides,
                                my dental pick (in general, readily available) is not smaller
                                than the tiny hole diameter side of 1mm. So it is not possible
                                to push the dental pick in.

So, to substitute the dental pick, here is another tip:
                                I use a sharp tip electric solder, let it contact the topside of
                                the motherboard's tiny hole, do not push in yet, let the remaining solder
                                melt first, and gently push in. If you push in too soon, you may ruin
                                the soldering pad on the underside of the motherboard.

While one hand is holding the electric solder (still inserted into
                                the tiny hole, at this point, solder has are already melted, and the
                                tip is now emerging on underside of the motherboard). I grab another
                                desoldering manual pump with a diameter tip of 1mm on my right hand,
                                place it on the same hole, but on the underside of the motherboard,
                                when I am ready, I release the plunger of the manual pump, and
                                hopefully it will suck out the remaining solder.
                                Last edited by liukuohao; 03-15-2014, 10:36 PM.

Comment

^ You heat the solder with the soldering iron while inserting the dental pick, which of course would have to be thin enough to fit. Dental picks are available in sizes smaller than soldering iron tips so I don't understand how you can find the very rare sub-1mm soldering iron tip but not the dental pick, but regardless you could instead use a needle, with the head cut off and pushed into a mechanical pencil to hold it. I think everyone can find a needle small enough.

Another option is narrow desoldering wick, or trimming the capacitor leads ahead of time and rocking it in, or using a heat gun and shield... whatever works for you.

Comment

Today afternoon, I received the package from RS component,
                                    In the package, I received 20 pcs of......

Panasonic 6.3V 1500uf 10mm diameter FM series capacitors.
                                    See the pic attached below.

I will find a suitable time to install these new caps on motherboard,
                                    most probably on the weekends.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

...or trimming the capacitor leads ahead of time and rocking it in
                                      That's what I do, and it works just fine.

Before you rock the caps in, though, first you need to at least partially clear the holes (that is, you don't need to "see" through them, but just make indentations on the top side of the board where the capacitors go). I do that with a cork board tack/pin. Basically, just heat the hole on the motherboard with the iron, let solder melt, push with tack/pin on the other side of the board, remove solder iron and let solder cool (about 1 to 2 seconds), move or twist tack/pin around and pull (should pull out fairly easily). Once the holes are partially cleared, then position the cap and hold with hand (that cap will not stay by itself), then start rocking it in.

Here's how I do the walk/rock method:
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=23
                                      Note that the tutorial above is for removing caps. But for putting in caps, it's exactly the same, but you push the opposite way than what is shown in the pictures. I'm sure you've probably done it before with other components.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 03-20-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Finally my weekend project of my capacitor replacement on the A7S-VM
                                        motherbaord completed!!!

Now, I just need to get a decent Antec ATX PSU, and test the whole system
                                        whether is it is running stably at 24/7 operation.

Initial test looks promising!!!

May be I need to get some fans as well just to cool off the capacitors + VRM,
                                        MOSFETs.

Because the FAN is always blowing heat down the heat sink and that
                                        is where the VRM MOSFETs + capacitors are located.

Last but not least, I would like to thank to those who guided me
                                        in getting my little project of capacitor replacement a success!!!
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by liukuohao; 03-23-2014, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X