memory test fail -bad capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memory test fail -bad capacitor

i have motherboard asus make. it have problem in bios post it showing memory test fail. and press F1 to continue. so i checked for bad cpacitor i saw some 3 bulged cap.and replaced with new one. but stil same problem. it didnt fix memory error. then i changed all capacitor on motherboard that have no sign of bulging.. but problem still have . am sure it is not because of bad memory bcz i tried many memory stick that working on other motherboard also i chnged psu ,.. no success.. what could be the reason for memory fail?. i am pretty sure not bcz of memory slot.. out 5 memory stick 3 are worked without error and only 2 have problm but the same 2 sticks working on other mother board perfectly

Re: memory test fail -bad capacitor

Originally posted by srt1 View Post
    i have motherboard asus make. it have problem in bios post it showing memory test fail. and press F1 to continue. so i checked for bad cpacitor i saw some 3 bulged cap.and replaced with new one. but stil same problem. it didnt fix memory error. then i changed all capacitor on motherboard that have no sign of bulging.. but problem still have . am sure it is not because of bad memory bcz i tried many memory stick that working on other motherboard also i chnged psu ,.. no success.. what could be the reason for memory fail?. i am pretty sure not bcz of memory slot.. out 5 memory stick 3 are worked without error and only 2 have problm but the same 2 sticks working on other mother board perfectly
    Try cleaning the contacts on the memory slots as well as the memory module itself...

Comment

i tried cleaning slot but stil same problem... i have 5 memoery sticks i tried every one only 2 have problm,, but same 2 sticks perfectly working on other two motherboards .. the asus motherboard hv two memory slots i tried cleaning the two .. but no success

Comment

In order to be more able to help you we need more basic information.
        What model of ASUS motherboard is it?
        What are the brand and series of the bulged caps?
        What did you replace them with and where did you get them?
        Please post some good quality pics.

Comment

i replaced all capacitor except 100uf 16 volt. some of 100uf 16volt i removed and checked its value is good. so i guess all remaining may be good.capaciotrs i used in this motherboard are YAGEO,G-LUXON AND CAPXON all are 105c . the motherboard is compaq bd-70g.. i think its asus make. here the some pics
          http://s11.postimg.org/xlt0bl3o3/201..._52_20_906.jpg
          http://s24.postimg.org/ulfscfl3p/52_11_97.jpg
          http://s9.postimg.org/hfru1e0kv/2013..._04_38_239.jpg
          http://s8.postimg.org/bbip74p6d/2013..._52_03_234.jpg bulged capaciotrs teapo 1000uf 6.3volt i replaced all with 1000 uf 10volt g luxon . Nichicon 3300uf 6.3volt are no sign of bulging but i measured its value it was very low.. So i replace all 3300uf with yageo 3300uf 6.3 volt. .can u someone help me to solve my issue? Is it capacitor related or northbridge chip bad?
          Last edited by srt1; 08-18-2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

start by posting some pics and using proper caps.i doubt the ones you used are up to the task and might even be worse than the ones you took out.

Comment

I used capaciotrs are Yageo 3300uf 6.3volt ,g luxon 1000uf 10volt,and capxon 1500uf 10volt. Which brand is bad ?

Comment

I used capaciotrs are Yageo 3300uf 6.3volt ,g luxon 1000uf 10volt,and capxon 1500uf 10volt. Which brand is bad ?
                All of them.

Comment

I used capaciotrs are Yageo 3300uf 6.3volt ,g luxon 1000uf 10volt,and capxon 1500uf 10volt.
                  New or used? Because I would think that brand new ones, regardless of brand, would work OK, if they have the right specifications for capacitance, voltage, ripple current, and ESR. I'm not familiar with Yageo, but I've had G-Luxon caps fail in 2 years. CapXon has a really bad reputation, and some bloated on me in 4 years in a couple of my lightly used Antec Basiq power supplies.

I've seen memory work perfectly in some motherboards but not others. What memory modules do you have? Anything with a heatsink on it or whose memory chips don't have clearly legible brand markings of a real chip company (Micron, Samsung, Hynix, Nanya, etc.) is suspicious.

Comment

All r new . I checked its uf it is ok.. But i dont know its ESR . All r 105c. Memory module dont have heat sink. The brands are hynix samsung winbond micro max and corasair. I have samsung 512mb two stick out of 2 1 have no problem at all.i test woth memtest also. but other one have problem giving error.but the same one no errors on other motherboards. also have two hynix. thy are 256 mb. out of 2 one have errors on this motherboard.
                    Last edited by srt1; 08-18-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

i tried cleaning slot but stil same problem... i have 5 memoery sticks i tried every one only 2 have problm,, but same 2 sticks perfectly working on other two motherboards .. the asus motherboard hv two memory slots i tried cleaning the two .. but no success
                      Memory module dont have heat sink. The brands are hynix samsung winbond micro max and corasair. I have samsung 512mb two stick out of 2 1 have no problem at all.i test woth memtest also. but other one have problem giving error.but the same one no errors on other motherboards. also have two hynix. thy are 256 mb. out of 2 one have errors on this motherboard.
                      Are you using Memtest86+ to check for bad memory chips? Sometimes if the contact cleaner does not work, then use a flat heat screwdriver and scrape the contacts on the DIMM slot.

Not familiar with Yageo, but G-Luxon and CapXon are really bad choices as they are infamous for badcap problems. For your information, Teapo and G-Luxon are practically the same company.

All r new . I checked its uf it is ok.. But i dont know its ESR . All r 105c.
                      Being 105C does not mean they are suitable. Do you know that there are also 105C general purpose capacitors? Thus always check the capacitor specifications first. Usually for motherboards, use 105C ultra low impedance/ESR capacitors.

Comment

All r new . I checked its uf it is ok.. But i dont know its ESR . All r 105c. Memory module dont have heat sink. The brands are hynix samsung winbond micro max and corasair. I have samsung 512mb two stick out of 2 1 have no problem at all.i test woth memtest also. but other one have problem giving error.but the same one no errors on other motherboards. also have two hynix. thy are 256 mb. out of 2 one have errors on this motherboard.
                        How warm do the new caps get, compared to good caps on other motherboards? Because maybe that could indicate if the ESR is much higher than it should be, unless the capacitors are conducting heat through the circuit board (I've seen that with capacitors located next to north bridge chips and voltage regulator transistors or chips).

I'm not familiar with MicroMax, but I've had many problems with Corsair, none with those other brands. Can you test more extensively in motherboards where all the memory apparently works OK? Also try other diagnostics, like MemTest86 version 3.xx (instead of MemTest86+) and Gold Memory version 5.04 (harder to find than version 6.92, but the free version of 6.92 does fewer tests than the free version of 5.04). Sometimes one diagnostic finds errors that others can't detect, and it may take a long time, like 12 hours. I would say if Gold Memory and MemTest86 find no errors when each diagnostic is run for at least 12 hours and the memory is run in dual channel mode, then the memory is OK, and the problem is with this Compaq/Asus motherboard. It's possible that Compaq released a BIOS upgrade to improve memory compatibility, but don't flash the BIOS except while running the 100% good memory.

Comment

In your first pic I see what could be a problem. Make shure that you have a shorting cap on pins 1 and 2 of JP2, normal cmos operation. That pic does not show any jumper on it.

Comment

[QUOTE=lexwalker;365787]Are you using Memtest86+ to check for bad memory chips? Sometimes if the contact cleaner does not work, then use a flat heat screwdriver and scrape the contacts on the DIMM slot.
                            Wen post strating it also showing error in bios - memory test fail..

Comment

Being 105C does not mean they are suitable. Do you know that there are also 105C general purpose capacitors? Thus always check the capacitor specifications first. Usually for motherboards, use 105C ultra low impedance/ESR capacitors. [/QUOTE]

I checked its specification as per thier series.. Its saying all r low esr and high ripple current suitable for motherboard. The yageo capacitors i used in vrm section ,i checked its specification in data sheet its clearly mention ther suitable for output of vrms in motherboards. So i think capacitors are good suitable for motherboard even if it bad brands. Butnithink its nt a cause for this memory fail bcz all r new

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                                In your first pic I see what could be a problem. Make shure that you have a shorting cap on pins 1 and 2 of JP2, normal cmos operation. That pic does not show any jumper on it.

Yes i shorted and tried but stil same problem

Comment

I'm not familiar with MicroMax, but I've had many problems with Corsair, none with those other brands. Can you test more extensively in motherboards where all the memory apparently works OK? Also try other diagnostics, like MemTest86 version 3.xx (instead of MemTest86+) and Gold Memory version 5.04 (harder to find than version 6.92, but the free version of 6.92 does fewer tests than the free version of 5.04). Sometimes one diagnostic finds errors that others can't detect, and it may take a long time, like 12 hours. I would say if Gold Memory and MemTest86 find no errors when each diagnostic is run for at least 12 hours and the memory is run in dual channel mode, then the memory is OK, and the problem is with this Compaq/Asus motherboard. It's possible that Compaq released a BIOS upgrade to improve memory compatibility, but don't flash the BIOS except while running the 100% good memory.[/QUOTE]

The memory modules all r good bcz these memory i am currently using in my current pc almost 4 years. Stil its not give any crash or freeze also i have two spare motherboards i used same on it .dont have any problem on it . The 256mb giving error in bios and in memtes also.in memtest it giving error with in one minute.. The 512mb some times cause not posting also. But same memorys r perfectly working on other mother boards

Comment

Pull the battery to clear the bios. Make shure that the cmos battery reads at least 2.8 volts. Go into the bios settings and select the default safe setup. Restart and then run memtest again. Also that board may require low density memory modules, needs to be checked.

Comment

Is the 512 mb stick DDR or something else. If single sided could be High Density ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                                        Pull the battery to clear the bios. Make shure that the cmos battery reads at least 2.8 volts. Go into the bios settings and select the default safe setup. Restart and then run memtest again. Also that board may require low density memory modules, needs to be checked.
                                        I measured it voltage is 2.96 . I removed and cleard cmos and loaded default safe in bios .but stil same problem. I heave 2 256mb ram hynix brand both are same chip number 4 chips in one module so i asume 64mb each chip .the difference in two module r one have more number of smt camacitors and resistors on it. It not not giving any error .but othr one less number of smt components.this module giving error.

Comment

Working...
                                        X