Samsung caps good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung caps good?

I am just disassembling old analog satellite reciever which obviously has no use anymore and it is full of Samsung capacitors from 1992. I feel obligated to mention the device has not been plugged in electricity for at least 5 years.

I can see GL and SS lines, from 18 caps two are really really out of spec, another four are more than 10 % lower on capacity but still less than 20 %. Do you think thy are worth keeping?
    Last edited by Behemot; 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Samsung caps good?

I wouldn't keep them but that's just me. What is their capacitance/voltage range, and can you find any datasheets for them?

Comment

I already had strong suspision and now it's confirmed, it became Samwha over time. Both are 85 °C, the SS seems to be some older low-ESR type. I guess they changed the name, now GL is screw type and SS is 7mm type.
      Last edited by Behemot; 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Are the SS series green with white marks?

A few years ago, someone gave me a really old monitor board and I pulled all of the caps out of it (plus some other parts). I've been using those caps in breadboard projects and they seem to do fine. Probably wouldn't be good for much else, though.

Comment

They're both green with white printing. Seems that mid-range (470-1000 uF) are worst, smaller are more or less in sopec, the the large ones are in best condition with over-spec capacity.

Comment

I usually harvest the ceramic capacitors, diodes, some resistor, ics and inductors.

Those caps are so old, I wouldn't use them.
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Well those small Rubycons CE W I harvested are as old as these and are still good. So some small Daewoos I harvested.

Comment

All sub 200 uF caps are just fine. So it's like 5 bad out of, don't know, over 50 I guess.

Comment

Probably a silly question, but are you just testing capacitance, or are you also testing ESR?
                  Care to post some photos?

What's an analog satellite receiver? Satellites are all digital and have been since day one as far as I know.
                  Do you mean analog SD outputs only?
                  How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

Sure but as long as I don't know what type they are, I can't tell what the ESR should be.

If you were born around 2000, than yes, it has been all digital since day one

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                      If you were born around 2000, than yes, it has been all digital since day one
                      Ooooohhhhh SNAP!
                      I wish I were still like, 12!!!

Telstar was launched in the very early 60s as the 1st public communications satellite, which I'm pretty sure was digital, seeing as it operated in the 4GHz and 6GHz band. Really, everything started going digital with the invention and beginning widespread use of the transistor in the early 1950s.

But really, how do we define digital when it comes to communication? Being that it's all just sound waves occupying an RF spectrum, is it really technically digital? Sound waves in their raw form as a wave are still analog.
                      So do we simply categorically define the transmitting and receiving equipment as what defines the signal of being analog or digital in nature?

Something to think about.
                      How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

Digital basically means "discrete", that is, for some satellite systems they may use 64-QAM which means 64 discrete levels (8 phase, 8 amplitude.) Analog has infinitely (or nearly infinitely...there are only so many electrons) many levels. Digital also usually transmits compressed MPEG video, which can fit in a smaller space to analogue video, allowing more crap you don't want to watch to fit on the airwaves.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It just has been PAL or NTSC till some time ago which is analog; basically, it directly controlls RGB electrodes of CRT TV (ofc, later with more modern and LCD procedures of modyfying/converting the signal were established). Now there's DVB-S which uses MPEG, that is streamed data which have to be decoded.

Comment

Working...
                          X