Help a noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help a noob

I have just recently recapped a Jetway V266B with bulging GSC caps which has been showing symptoms of badcaps. Prior to this, I have never held a soldering iron before. I replaced all the bulging ones with Sanyo's having the same value, 1500uf 6.3v with my questionable soldering skills. When I fired up the board, I get a blank screen but the cpu & vidcard's fans spins. I have tried reseating the mems,cpu & vidcards. I have also tried resetting the bios & remove its batteries but no luck.

My guess is it's my amatuer soldering skills. Is there anyway to test the capacitors if I did it properly? What tools do I use? Help pls! I new at this...
    Last edited by ngorge; 05-24-2006, 02:48 AM.

Re: Help a noob

its quite easy to solder the capacitors in by closing the holes with solder, as long as they look closed and the solder is nice and shiny i doubt there would be a problem.

one problem could be long heating, examine the traces around the holes, if you were heating for a loooong time then maybe a trace is lifted and you will see it obviously broken / missing a piece.

i am assuming the board POSTed before the recapping

after checking the traces, check also again for something you forgot. are you using the same components known to be working on that board? do you have onboard vga? etc
    Last edited by willawake; 05-24-2006, 03:36 AM.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The board does POST prior to capping & I am using all the same components.

Traces... are these the shiny rings around the holes? By saying "broken", does it mean that it's no longer a full ring? And how long is "a loooong time" in heating the traces?

In this similar thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=709, someone replied "turn it over while connected to psu.
      power on and test with v.o.m on low dc v range."

Is this how to test the caps? can you explain that to a no-electronics background person?

Comment

sorry my post was worded badly.

the vias or lead ports are the rings around the holes
        the traces are the zillions of small lines snaking all over the board. look at the ones near the vias and see if one is broken.

in that thread the board was not posting before the recap so kc8 wanted to know what was the voltage the cpu was getting in case the board had vrm damage. (this can happen when the caps fail and the board doesnt post again)

you can do that to see if there is power loss to some part of your board if you like:

so you would need a multimeter and you set it to measure dc volts on a low setting. for instance mine i set at 20. and then you power up the board, flip it over and then put one lead on one of a cap's leads and one on the other. so you measure the volts across the caps.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
        X