fujitsu pds4222w-s Plasmavision TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fujitsu pds4222w-s Plasmavision TV

Hey, I have recently aquired a Fujitsu pds4222w-s plasmavision plasma TV that doesnt work. It turns on, and the screen flashes white, and then it shuts off.

I was wondering if anyone has ever worked on these or has any idea how to trouble shoot it. Thanks.

Re: fujitsu pds4222w-s Plasmavision TV

Oh yeah, and none of the caps look blown.

Comment

another tidbit of information; The screen flashes, and the unit powers up, for a few seconds, and the green LED is on, and then it turns off and it starts blinking red. I have never worked on a plasma before, but the power seems to go through a few different boards.

Comment

Originally posted by acidophilus
        another tidbit of information; The screen flashes, and the unit powers up, for a few seconds, and the green LED is on, and then it turns off and it starts blinking red. I have never worked on a plasma before, but the power seems to go through a few different boards.
        I've checked for a service manual and haven't found any available from any place I trust. It sounds like the small signal board has detected a fault. Does the red led blink in any sort of a pattern?

Post some pictures. Also, look for labels on the plasma panel that give a clue who made it.

Most of the plasma power supplies I have seen have the power supply outputs labeled. If this one does, check to see if all the supplies are coming up.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Comment

Most of the plasma power supplies I have seen have the power supply outputs labeled. If this one does, check to see if all the supplies are coming up.

Forgive my lack of experience, but how should I go about checking this?

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
              Does the red led blink in any sort of a pattern?

No, it blinks continuously until I take the power off.

Comment

I found this service bulletin

http://myweb.csuchico.edu/~wreeder/Fujitsu Service Bulletin PDP-0068-01.pdf

but there is no IC socket on the main power board, but there is one on the input board.

Comment

Forgive my lack of experience, but how should I go about checking this?
                  I see two ways. The best is to give it to someone with electronics experience.

A poorer approach would be to use a DMM. This might result in electrocution.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

is it just me or do the big-ass filter caps (2nd pic, pretty much in the middle, 4th pic the ones on the right) look like they are swollen below the top plastic cap..?

as for the power supply connectors..
                    4th pic.. the connectors in the top right.
                    looks like they're labeled (just like plainbill said)
                    Last edited by Scenic; 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                      is it just me or do the big-ass filter caps (2nd pic, pretty much in the middle, 4th pic the ones on the right) look like they are swollen below the top plastic cap..?
                      I think that might be an artifact of the picture, there is no real obvious swell in person.

as for the power supply connectors..
                      4th pic.. the connectors in the top right.
                      looks like they're labeled (just like plainbill said)
                      Ok, they are labeled. Most of them are ground (GND, I am assuming). as well as VS, VA and VE.

Comment

I found these on the IC board. the one with the purple on the top seems to be a little swollen.

Comment

I see two ways. The best is to give it to someone with electronics experience.

A poorer approach would be to use a DMM. This might result in electrocution.

PlainBill
                          I have tested electronics before, and completed a physics course on circuits and what not. I only have an analog multimeter, but it should work. I'm willing to try.

Though my knowledge is limited, I'm trying to learn.
                          Last edited by acidophilus; 05-17-2010, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I have tested electronics before, and completed a physics course on circuits and what not. I only have an analog multimeter, but it should work. I'm willing to try.

Though my knowledge is limited, I'm trying to learn.
                            I suspect this is a lost cause unless someone else is willing to assist you. A few months back I attempted to assist someone else with a plasma TV. Somehow he never seemed to be able to supply the information I requested.

If you REALLY want my help, go reread post 4 in this thread, including the link in my signature.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok, I uploaded the pictures again.
                              Attached Files

Comment

The boards are made by Fujitsu Hitachi.

Comment

I suspect this is a lost cause unless someone else is willing to assist you. A few months back I attempted to assist someone else with a plasma TV. Somehow he never seemed to be able to supply the information I requested.

If you REALLY want my help, go reread post 4 in this thread, including the link in my signature.

PlainBill
                                  This guy can form coherent sentences and provide clear, adequate pictures. Give him a chance.

acidophilus, you won't be able to test much in the way of caps using a standard DMM. You need an ESR meter for that one. Some DMMs can measure capacitance, but ESR is a much better tell of whether a cap is good or not.

Comment

Ok, The outputs are labeled as such:

VCC1
                                    GND VCC1
                                    VE
                                    GND VE
                                    GND VS
                                    GND VS
                                    VA
                                    GND VA
                                    VS
                                    VS

Using a multimeter I was planning on testing each one of these for voltage. How much voltage should I be expecting coming through these? (I was going to test 250V AC)

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                                      This guy can form coherent sentences and provide clear, adequate pictures. Give him a chance.

acidophilus, you won't be able to test much in the way of caps using a standard DMM. You need an ESR meter for that one. Some DMMs can measure capacitance, but ESR is a much better tell of whether a cap is good or not.
                                      I am aware of this, though I was hoping to be able to narrow down the problem to a specific board. I was under the impression that by testing voltage output from the board it would let me know where the problem was, or at least lead me in the right direction. I am doing this for fun and to learn.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Milkman, the boards generally produce DC voltages. There is one output that will likely be an AC output, the one that drives the plasma display itself.
                                        I would set my meter to DC, highest setting, turn on the unit, and measure from specified ground, i.e. GND VE, to the pin labeled VE, and so on. Most sets will produce voltages in the ranges of 5,12, and some in the less than 50VDC range. Most sets will have a 'standby' voltage produced to operate the remote control receiver circuit, and used to 'turn on' the rest of the set.
                                        That means that there should likely be a 5v standby voltage, and then 'run' voltages in the 5, 12, and so on. When you press the on button, or use the remote, there would be a change in one of the voltages 'in' to the power supply, from 0 -> 5 or 5->0 signaling the set to turn on.
                                        Using an analog VM works, as long as the ohms internally are high. I don't remember the numbers, but you can 'drag down' a circuit if the meter draws too much current while it is measuring. I have in mind "10,000 ohms/volt" or words to that effect.
                                        The ESR meters mentioned allow for measurement of the equivalent resistance that a capacitor emulates(?) while in use. When caps get old/dried out, the resistance goes up and messes with the circuit, leading to failure. You have to remove the caps from the board/circuit to test the ESR, or at least lift one leg of the cap[hard to do].
                                        tom

Comment

Working...
                                        X