Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linkworld(?) LPJ19-25E

Hello again,

I've got a "Model: LPJ19-25E 3*SATA" PSU here which came with a case. (no worries, it was free )

I only used the case because the PSU is having a "cheap" label which has got all the watt ratings on it and the chinese children that have made this unit only had to put a small sticker on it to make clear which unit it was on the list. The case is also made from very, very thin metal. It was all bent up at the place where you insert the power cord and ik could even bend the case with one finger, it is even more worse that the L&C units.

So, i've opened the casing (with very little hope) to expect a ~150W unit with no input filtering at all. But after all, it's better than i expected. So let's take a look!

Let's start with the primary filtering. This unit has got: 2 ferrite coils, 4 Y-caps, 2 X-caps and a NTC thermistor(?). Only missing a MOV here. The psu also has got a PFC coil (passive PFC) which looks like a real one, in can see some windings sitting in there. This really surprised me, a almost complete primary filtering stage, all the spots on the pcb for it are filled!

And now the primary... Because this is a 230V only PSU the primary side has only got to do 2A continuous, by the time this PSU needs 460W from the grid it should have already been exploded. The input caps are 2 200V, 470uF, 105° (LE YC) which are a bit on the small side, i doubt if they really are 470uF. This PSU doesn't have a rectifier bridge but has got 4 1N5408 (3A, 105°) diodes which should be enough. And the primary switchers are 2 D304X (12A, 400V, 100W power transistor).

The transformer is a AETOJEI33DN0011 which is probably a EI33. That will do about 250~300W.

The heatsinks on this unit are a bit mediocre, i've seen worse on some cheap units but i've also seen far better on somewhat more expensive units.

The secondary side has got 3 recitfiers;
    12V: MBR30100CT (30A, 100V, Scottky )
    5V: S20C45C (20A, 45V, Scottky)
    3.3V: S20C45C (20A, 45V, Scottky)
    So this unit has got full Scottky, which is good. And it seems like this PSU is a 12V heavy design

And the secondary filtering: (aren't sure of which volt line they really are, but this seems the most logic way)
    12V: 1x 16V 2200uF (YC)
    5V: 1x 10V 2200uF (YC), 1x 10V 1000uF (YC)
    3.3V: 2x 10V 1000uF (YC)

And the pwm (or supervisor?) chip is a:
    Welltrend WT7520
    The PSU has also got a temperature controlled fan and the thermal probe is glued to the big coil at the secondary side. But isn't it better to mount the probe to the secondary heatsink instead of the coil?

So what do you guys think about it? How much could this power supply really deliver?
    Attached Files

Re: Linkworld(?) LPJ19-25E

Those 300 W may be OK I guess.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

That's a shame that they didn't put pi coils. You can do that yourself using coils from a dead psu.

Put some 680uF primary caps and you will have a 300W peak psu

The 2 D304X switchers are capable of doing 300W and maybe more.

Check the heat dissipation. That PPFC coil is blocking the airflow...

Replace all the 1000uF caps with 2200uF good caps, except of the 5vsb and negative voltage.

If there is only 1 spot for 12V use a 3300uF capacitor there.

"But isn't it better to mount the probe to the secondary heatsink instead of the coil?"

In many power supply units the secondary group regulation toroid coil gets hotter than the secondary heatsink.

I have a similar Linkworld psu, I am going to start a new thread about it sometime soon.
      Last edited by goodpsusearch; 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        That's a shame that they didn't put pi coils. You can do that yourself using coils from a dead psu.

Put some 680uF primary caps and you will have a 300W peak psu

The 2 D304X switchers are capable of doing 300W and maybe more.

Check the heat dissipation. That PPFC coil is blocking the airflow...

Replace all the 1000uF caps with 2200uF good caps, except of the 5vsb and negative voltage.

If there is only 1 spot for 12V use a 3300uF capacitor there.

"But isn't it better to mount the probe to the secondary heatsink instead of the coil?"

In many power supply units the secondary group regulation toroid coil gets hotter than the secondary heatsink.

I have a similar Linkworld psu, I am going to start a new thread about it sometime soon.
        I will recap this thing for sure, i'm probably going to use it for my 3d printer which requires about 16A on the 12V rail (192W) which should be fine. I will also keep the probe where it is.

And some more questions then:

1. Can i just remove the passive PFC coil? Or is it having a specific function? (i know... it's there with a reason. But what does it do?)

2. What do you mean with 300 Watt Peak? Can it do it for 3 seconds, 5 minutes or half an hour? What would it do continuous? (prints can be like 3 hours long so it has got to hold up for a while)

I will also search for some pi coils, i do have a few acbel psu's from some powermac G3's which are only doing 8A on the 12V rail so using them for parts isn't that bad, is it?

And do i really have to replace the primary caps? 2 nice 680uF caps cost around €4 each which is pretty damn expensive.
        Last edited by bauto601; 05-28-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bauto601 View Post
          I will recap this thing for sure, i'm probably going to use it for my 3d printer which requires about 16A on the 12V rail (192W) which should be fine. I will also keep the probe where it is.

And some more questions then:

1. Can i just remove the passive PFC coil? Or is it having a specific function? (i know... it's there with a reason. But what does it do?)

2. What do you mean with 300 Watt Peak? Can it do it for 3 seconds, 5 minutes or half an hour? What would it do continuous? (prints can be like 3 hours long so it has got to hold up for a while)

I will also search for some pi coils, i do have a few acbel psu's from some powermac G3's which are only doing 8A on the 12V rail so using them for parts isn't that bad, is it?

And do i really have to replace the primary caps? 2 nice 680uF caps cost around €4 each which is pretty damn expensive.
          1. Many users here would advise you to just remove it but personally I don't like removing parts even when they are not critical for unit operation.

I would first check how hot it gets and then try to mod its fan controller circuit. If it has to get noisy in order not to overheat, only then I would consider removing the ppfc coil.

2. Nobody can say for sure. It depends of the psu design, the switching frequency and the cooling of the primary heatsink. Increasing the primary capacitance will definitely help though. I usually get the primary caps from dead or obsolete psus.

Post a photo of the pi coils if you feel uncertain about using them.
          Last edited by goodpsusearch; 05-28-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

1. Many users here would advise you to just remove it but personally I don't like removing parts even when they are not critical for unit operation.

I would first check how hot it gets and then try to mod its fan controller circuit. If it has to get noisy in order not to overheat, only then I would consider removing the ppfc coil.

2. Nobody can say for sure. It depends of the psu design, the switching frequency and the cooling of the primary heatsink. Increasing the primary capacitance will definitely help though. I usually get the primary caps from dead or obsolete psus.

Post a photo of the pi coils if you feel uncertain about using them.
            I'll keep the ppfc coil for now then, and maybe find a different place for it. I just opened one of the powermac psu's (probably 15 years old) and i found:

2x 200V 860uF Rubycon primary's (flat, not bulged)
            2 pi coils
            All the secondary caps are also like new and not bulged.

Can i just put over as much stuff as possible that looks good? Or will even the good caps degrade when they are 15 years old?

Comment

They are primary caps (not stressed) and they are Rubycon, one excellent Japanese capacitor manufacturer.. I would definitely use those for recapping.

Comment

They are primary caps (not stressed) and they are Rubycon, one excellent Japanese capacitor manufacturer.. I would definitely use those for recapping.
                Tomorrow i will take a closer look to the powermac unit and remove all the caps that are usefull, including the pi coils.

Comment

By the way, is it the Transformer that is holding this unit back? Can i just simply replace it for a EI35 or is that asking for trouble? (pinouts, voltages, etc...)

Comment

You must get exactly the same type (same topology, windings) and it is physically bigger so there must be pin holes for it too.
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

The transformer is the bottleneck, but I don't think it is worth messing with it.

Comment

The transformer isn't the main bottleneck. I have successfully pulled 400W+ from one EI-33, without anything melting.

The two main sources of losses are the output rectifiers and the output inductor. This is why you will see large toroids wound with beefy wire and 60A+ of diodes on a 24 or 30A output rail in quality, brand-name PSUs. To minimize losses and achieve higher efficiency.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          The transformer isn't the main bottleneck. I have successfully pulled 400W+ from one EI-33, without anything melting.

The two main sources of losses are the output rectifiers and the output inductor. This is why you will see large toroids wound with beefy wire and 60A+ of diodes on a 24 or 30A output rail in quality, brand-name PSUs. To minimize losses and achieve higher efficiency.
                          So if i replace that 5/12V output toroid for a bigger one and put a ~40A recitifier in it it will do noticible more power that what it now could do?

Anyways, i've tried to install the bigger caps in the unit, but they were too thick... So i was beginning to think outside the box, literally

So here i present, my tri-fan back to the future psu:
                          (you're now going to look at the attachements)

Oh well, overheating will be difficult for this one
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, if you replace the output toroid and use diodes of higher capacity you will get at least an extra 50-80W stable output compared to what it does now. Also regulation will be significantly improved at all load levels because the change in both voltage and inductance over the entire load range will be smaller.

Fun fact: Linkworld did actually make a PSU with three fans in it, just that they were all 80mm.
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

OMG, kill it with fire

Comment

Just google "Linkworld 630W" and you will see it. Especially the reviews it had on Newegg are great fun to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                  OMG, kill it with fire

I will replace the diodes with a bridge recitfier

Comment

Originally posted by bauto601 View Post
                                    So here i present, my tri-fan back to the future psu:
                                    (you're now going to look at the attachements)
                                    That actually looks super cool. Probably not too safe with all of those exposed wires. But since this is for your own use only, it is fine .

And no, don't remove the passive PFC coil. Besides improving the power factor, it also tends to act like additional filtering on the primary side (sort of like a huge common-mode choke).

The PSU looks quite decent otherwise. I think 300 W peak and 250-ish W continuous is about right. Could probably do 250W easily without overheating, especially with that 30A schottky on the 12V rail.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 06-01-2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I've forgotten this PSU for a while till i received my 3d printer (Prusa I3 with heated bed) and needed a PSU. The unit is feeding my printer just fine and silent.

But the bed won't heat up too high enough temperatures and the only solution is upping the voltage, the electronics of the printer can handle up to 24V so that shouldn't be a problem.

But is it possible make a variable voltage output on this psu by fooling (for example) the PWM chip with a variable resistor on a pin?

I need about 14~15V. Otherwise the power draw will be too high for this unit

Comment

IIRC, those Linkworld PSUs have proprietary PWM ICs, so you likely may not be able to up the voltage too much or without making the PSU unstable.

That said, there is an easy way, but it's a bit unsafe.
                                        Basically, you just beef up the -12V rail. The difference between that and the 12V rail will give you 24V. Of course, you will still need to mod the PSU quite a bit. Not to mention remove/float its ground so that there won't be grounding issues between the printer and the PC.

Comment

Working...
                                        X