Dead Original All-In-Wonder ATI Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Original All-In-Wonder ATI Card

Hey guys I have an ATI All-In-Wonder video in/video out card from 1996. I also have an All-In-Wonder Radeon 7200 from 2000 which I recently got set up and working. The original card from 1996 was in my Asus PII machine that got killed when the psu melted down. I am not 100% sure but based on the scorch marks some members of badcaps thought that it was a 5v stand by rail that went over voltage. I have yet to fix the motherboard but that is another issue on its own.

The card is a standard PCI card. I plugged it into a working PC and it gave me 8 quick beeps which means bad video card. Bummer. I'm guessing that video cards have no protection and it fried the GPU? Or is there something simple that took the grunt of the over voltage? The sound card which was an ISA card still works fine.

Any thought would be appreciated because I would love to have at least a few pieces of my first ever system live on.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Re: Dead Original All-In-Wonder ATI Card

the processor appears to have a crack in it.....the holy smoke has been released.

Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      the processor appears to have a crack in it.....the holy smoke has been released.

I saw that just after I posted. Looks like some old dried glue or similar. It scraped off very easily.
      Attached Files
      canadaboy25

Comment

one last thing u can try, i noticed the video bios chip is socketed. try to replace it. the flash could have been damaged by the overvoltage. if that doesnt work, im afraid its a goner. either the gpu is fried and/or the video memory is fried...

Comment

On my old Amiga the bios was socketed. About every six months I had to open it and run my finger across the plastic of the chip side to side and top to bottom. It would work fine for another six months or maybe a year after that. Eventually though it wouldn't come up with the beginning screen and I'd have to open it again.
          sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

that was the AGNES chip in the square socket that had that problem.

Comment

I always assumed it was the one with the bios in it. Is that right?
              sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

You could check the 7805 for a bit of fun, but if the PSU blew up, most likely one of the important chips has blown, whether you can see visible damage or not.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

It's not necessarily dead . It is a PCI VGA card in the end , and that would surely put it in conflict with the already assigned VGA card by the system . By default , the system will try to locate the last VGA configuration and take its boot from it . On win98 and older , Irqs were fairly sensitive , and options to change them under working windows is the impossible itself .
                  I think a good work out , is first of all to treat this card in its original environment , meaning it was designed for win 95 and 98 . Then second , is to change some BIOS options , like resetting to standard configuration , and like forcing the VGA booting from PCI , not Agp . and third , to try the card in different PCI slots as such operating systems were very adequate concerning IRQs assigning . Such difficulty would even near the impossible if a sound card for an example shared the same IRQ (let's say irq 5 here ) with the VGA ..

Comment

Good points though I must admit I assumed that canadaboy25 already tried that.

Multiple video cards may not be an issue though. I've certainly had AGP and PCI cards running in the same machine before, to drive extra monitors.
                    Last edited by Agent24; 01-23-2017, 03:40 AM.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Yes Agent24 ; Once installed and configured properly , you can run multiple monitors , and that was a good specialty in windows 98 .

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                        You could check the 7805 for a bit of fun, but if the PSU blew up, most likely one of the important chips has blown, whether you can see visible damage or not.
                        Unfortunately the input is 12v and the output is a perfect 5v so that seems ok.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                        It's not necessarily dead . It is a PCI VGA card in the end , and that would surely put it in conflict with the already assigned VGA card by the system . By default , the system will try to locate the last VGA configuration and take its boot from it . On win98 and older , Irqs were fairly sensitive , and options to change them under working windows is the impossible itself .
                        I think a good work out , is first of all to treat this card in its original environment , meaning it was designed for win 95 and 98 . Then second , is to change some BIOS options , like resetting to standard configuration , and like forcing the VGA booting from PCI , not Agp . and third , to try the card in different PCI slots as such operating systems were very adequate concerning IRQs assigning . Such difficulty would even near the impossible if a sound card for an example shared the same IRQ (let's say irq 5 here ) with the VGA ..
                        The card was tested in every PCI slot on the board and no other cards were installed at the time. The card was last used in a machine running windows XP and the machine I was testing it in has a hard drive in it with XP installed so that shouldn't be an issue. When the card was working there would always be an ATI splash screen before the BIOS of the pc booted and I am not seeing it.
                        canadaboy25

Comment

Are you sure there's no crack in the IC behind that "Glue"?
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by canadaboy25 View Post
                            Unfortunately the input is 12v and the output is a perfect 5v so that seems ok.

The card was tested in every PCI slot on the board and no other cards were installed at the time. The card was last used in a machine running windows XP and the machine I was testing it in has a hard drive in it with XP installed so that shouldn't be an issue. When the card was working there would always be an ATI splash screen before the BIOS of the pc booted and I am not seeing it.
                            I assumed it could be a board with an integrated VGA , with maybe a Nvidia Agp , which makes in such case 3 working VGAs at the same time , counting the All-In-Wonder ATI pci Card , Some resources in conflict with other devices ... and yet , you seem aware of all that ...
                            And yes , if configured well , it works fine in XP , and i even managed to install ones in w7 , with some of the TV software excluded .

What remains to say , cleaning connectors , searching for weak and stressed soldering points , maybe reflowing . those were piece of art , and very solid . worth time and efforts .

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                              Are you sure there's no crack in the IC behind that "Glue"?
                              Ha, yep quite certain. Even under magnification I can't see any physical defects with the processor.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                              I assumed it could be a board with an integrated VGA , with maybe a Nvidia Agp , which makes in such case 3 working VGAs at the same time , counting the All-In-Wonder ATI pci Card , Some resources in conflict with other devices ... and yet , you seem aware of all that ...
                              And yes , if configured well , it works fine in XP , and i even managed to install ones in w7 , with some of the TV software excluded .

What remains to say , cleaning connectors , searching for weak and stressed soldering points , maybe reflowing . those were piece of art , and very solid . worth time and efforts .
                              Yeah, there is no on-board graphics and I have tried with other boards too. I have a hot air rework station with liquid flux so re-flowing specific items shouldn't be an issue if that is the case. I was hoping a transistor or some memory would be toast. Something generic that could be replaced.

I agree they are pretty awesome cards. I love the one that I have working and would love to get this one working too. Especially since any av input PCI card these days still costs a pretty penny.
                              Last edited by canadaboy25; 01-25-2017, 11:58 PM.
                              canadaboy25

Comment

Originally posted by canadaboy25 View Post
                                Ha, yep quite certain. Even under magnification I can't see any physical defects with the processor.

Yeah, there is no on-board graphics and I have tried with other boards too. I have a hot air rework station with liquid flux so re-flowing specific items shouldn't be an issue if that is the case. I was hoping a transistor or some memory would be toast. Something generic that could be replaced.

I agree they are pretty awesome cards. I love the one that I have working and would love to get this one working too. Especially since any av input PCI card these days still costs a pretty penny.

Yes canadaboy25; They can even take the best still pictures among other brands .
                                Let us know on any progress ..

Comment

Working...
                                X