Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burned boards?

Hey guys,

I just started soldering and this forum has been a godsend for information!
    One thing I couldn't really find though, was how to tell if you've caused heat damage to the board you are working on. I've got a terrible soldering iron (I'm in the process of finding a replacement) and I'm afraid I may have spent too long desoldering some capacitors and therefore caused damage to the board.

Is there a way to tell based on visuals alone? I noticed that the flux was turning slightly brown which is what made me worry. It's also possible that the board I am working on has lead free solder on it, making it very difficult to remove.

Thanks for your help!
    -Tom

Re: Burned boards?

An acid brush as well as alcohol will remove the flux, even if it is brown. Sometimes it will even flake off when lightly scraped at. As far as damage to the board, I wouldnt worry unless there are pads lifing up due to direct heat exposure. Sure, sometimes it doesnt look pretty due to having to work with sub standard soldering equipment but... if it works, it works.

Always use a leaded solder when doing electronics.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

dont use leaded solder if your in a country that has signed up to RoHS.
      you could get sued if you do work for someone else or sell stuff.

you dont need it anyway, unleaded solder has come a long way - it's much better than what you find on old boards.

what country are you in?

Comment

irrelevent for repairs.kester "44" here.
        Originally posted by stj View Post
        dont use leaded solder if your in a country that has signed up to RoHS.
        you could get sued if you do work for someone else or sell stuff.

you dont need it anyway, unleaded solder has come a long way - it's much better than what you find on old boards.

what country are you in?

Comment

how is it irrelevent? try telling that to the judge!

Comment

I dont have a clue (neither do I care) about crappy regulations of other countries. My understanding is that lead is added to solder to create a lower melting point. The flux helps the solder adhear to copper tracing or component leads. Some components can be dammaged with over exposure to the heat of a soldering iron - thus making a case for solder with lead for a quicker heat application time.

Try proving that an LCD TV has lead solder in it for 6 replaced components VS unleaded.
            The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

I do a hundred repairs a year. HP sells a million printers a year. Who do you think the RoHS law applies to?

Not me!
              sig files are for morons

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I don't really plan on selling my monitor so using lead solder is not a problem.

I guess the brownish flux is not a big deal either. How about the the boards then? Is there a way to tell just by looking whether or not it is damaged?

Comment

We can take a look just for kicks - if you post pictures of this repair. It wont tell us much but it wont hurt.

By the way, the flux is a problem due to it's conductivity. I have had failures before due to flux. This needs to be cleaned off with alcohol. Alcohol desolves it.

Comment

Just had the chance to take a photo of this.

What do you guys think? I'm still trying to remove the solder from the holes...it's a pain in the neck!
                    Attached Files

Comment

looks like flux to me.
                      can you scrape it off?

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                        We can take a look just for kicks - if you post pictures of this repair. It wont tell us much but it wont hurt.

By the way, the flux is a problem due to it's conductivity. I have had failures before due to flux. This needs to be cleaned off with alcohol. Alcohol desolves it.
                        i had this question long ago, you just answered. Thanks!

@op looks like flux on that pic, and based on own experience i dont think the board is damaged by heat, to me doesnt look that bad (not yet, at least ) but thats jm2c

peace.
                        We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

The board looks ok. Clean it up an see what you got. Sometimes I use a Q-tip (cotton swab) with alcohol if I dont have an acid brush available.

Comment

kitchen paper - like big toilet roll is good to use with IPA & such for pcb cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                            X