Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VX2235 problem with screen staying ON

Hello,

I am New to the forums and I want to just take the moment to say Thank You the people that have created this forum site and the great community of people that help support this site.

I am not new to repairing electronics (i mostly work on Blackberry/Iphone PS3/Xbox 360 and anything miscellaneous i get my hands on that stops working I do the repairs as a hobby of mine but hope to spread some of that here.

In anycase I have a 6yr old ViewSonic VX2235 22" LCD monitor. I have done hrs of research on google to try to find someone with a similar problem like mine but I am unable to come up with an answer.

Here is my problem. 100% of the time when i boot up my desktop computer my monitor will stay on from start of POST all the way till the desktop no problem at all, Then at any given time the screen goes blank however the Blue LED power light stays ON. So what i do is i power off the LCD monitor with the power button and turn it ON again and the screen is back, 10secs or so later then screen goes blank and the Blue LED light stays ON. So i do the process over and over again anywhere from 5-10 times and after some point it works like normal again. I would leave the monitor ON for hrs and hrs and it will not go out anymore as if there was no problem.

Also when the screen goes blank, You can tell the monitor is still ON like it has that pail black so i can tell the monitor is still ON. It seems as if thou it has constant power but it loose it's video signal. I also tried looking at the screen with a flashlight to make sure the backlight wasn't out but could not see anything so i know its not the backlighgt.

I have taken the monitor apart I looked for any burn marks or blown caps or any residue on both of the boards but i could not find anything wrong with them.

I tired hooking the monitor to my laptop and same thing happened so i know its not my computer so for sure it has something to do with the monitor.

Are they any suggestions?

Thank you
    Last edited by bimmermoe; 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM. Reason: Added more information

Re: Viewsonic VX2235 problem with screen staying ON

Originally posted by bimmermoe View Post
    Hello,

I am New to the forums and I want to just take the moment to say Thank You the people that have created this forum site and the great community of people that help support this site.

I am not new to repairing electronics (i mostly work on Blackberry/Iphone PS3/Xbox 360 and anything miscellaneous i get my hands on that stops working I do the repairs as a hobby of mine but hope to spread some of that here.

In anycase I have a 6yr old ViewSonic VX2235 22" LCD monitor. I have done hrs of research on google to try to find someone with a similar problem like mine but I am unable to come up with an answer.

Here is my problem. 100% of the time when i boot up my desktop computer my monitor will stay on from start of POST all the way till the desktop no problem at all, Then at any given time the screen goes blank however the Blue LED power light stays ON. So what i do is i power off the LCD monitor with the power button and turn it ON again and the screen is back, 10secs or so later then screen goes blank and the Blue LED light stays ON. So i do the process over and over again anywhere from 5-10 times and after some point it works like normal again. I would leave the monitor ON for hrs and hrs and it will not go out anymore as if there was no problem.

Also when the screen goes blank, You can tell the monitor is still ON like it has that pail black so i can tell the monitor is still ON. It seems as if thou it has constant power but it loose it's video signal. I also tried looking at the screen with a flashlight to make sure the backlight wasn't out but could not see anything so i know its not the backlighgt.

I have taken the monitor apart I looked for any burn marks or blown caps or any residue on both of the boards but i could not find anything wrong with them.

I tired hooking the monitor to my laptop and same thing happened so i know its not my computer so for sure it has something to do with the monitor.

Are they any suggestions?

Thank you
    1. Pictures REALLY help us help you. I know there are more threads about this monitor, some with pictures. However, manufacturers change subassemblies all the time without changing model numbers, so we need pictures of your monitor.

2. On your next post, attach pictures using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area. One picture of the signal card, another of the power supply top, a third of the power supply bottom. Try to get sharp, well lit pictures as close to 2000 x 2000 pixels.

3. Usually from the back of the LCD panel you can see 'leakage' of light from the backlights. Also, the backlights are much more visible in a dark room. Verify the backlights stay on. The flashlight trick is not totally reliable.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hey, sorry to jack a post here, but I am having the EXACT same issue here.
      I have a November 2006 Viewsonic 22" LCD model VX2235WM-3; opened it up, no bulging capacitors, no leaks, no burns, no bad solder joints. (the caps are HERMEI, not the common capXcons that are known to fail)
      Mine will turn on cold and stay on for a few hours, after that the screen will go black, the blue power light staying on. I also know it is not an issue with the back-light, I can see the "washed out" look to the screen showing its lit and not completely black, and also tried the flashlight trick, showing its just black...I can often times see a white-ish line flicker every couple minutes or so on the screen, proving more so it is not a back-light issue.
      I can also press the blue button, turning it off (I can also see the screen go darker) and then press it 10 seconds later to have it work for another 3-5 minutes, and then it goes back to a blank screen; I am able to repeat this process as the OP said, only mine will never stay on just fine again, it will continue the 3-5min/10 sec./3-5min. process.
      I'll post some pics of mine to help out, I am pretty dumbfounded to find the problem with with no blown cap issues etc.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by erikheffner; 10-19-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Seriously, no one has any thing to say?
        I woulda though Plain Bill or someone would have jumped on this in a couple hours; I see him post in nearly every post.

Comment

Hmmm .....

Guys, your monitor(s) is like 5+/6+ years old and those hermer/capxon caps could've reached the end of their useful life ... Caps can fail without a sign of failure ... My guess is that the caps (or maybe the schottky) on your lcd may be almost at the edge that when warmed up, they sputter on high loads ... then again, I could be entirely off the mark ...

Time to decide on the caps, to replace or not to replace ... that's your call ...

Ok, my 2 bits worth ....

Comment

As I've said repeatedly, I have a life away from this forum. It may not be much of a life, but it's what I have. When you posted I was working on an LCD TV. Sorry if reality disappoints you.

Since you DID wait a week, I'll make a few suggestions. Simple answers: recap the power supply, as Utni3d said the caps could have died. If that doesn't work, recap the signal board. If that still doesn't fix it, replace the signal board.

A more complex approach: There are two LDO regulators on the signal board. Check the output voltages. If the voltage stays constant, go to the simple answers.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yikes no need to get all feisty yet, I was just anxious.
              But all right, I'll take those options into consideration, starting with the main boards caps.
              Let me know if anyone comes up with any other ideas for this problem, as much as I am willing to replace all the caps, somehow I don't see that being the problem; the previous owner was my friends grandparents, and they used this like once a week, so it hasn't been used to much in its life, but the issue is also why they gave it away.

Comment

caps in the psu are a common problem in this model use good versions with low esr i use panasonic fm range or sim

Comment

I have the same monitor with the same boards and exact same problem, It will display for a while then just turn black, but still have the blue light, my computer says its still working but only a black screen.....?

Comment

Originally posted by mxerok View Post
                    I have the same monitor with the same boards and exact same problem, It will display for a while then just turn black, but still have the blue light, my computer says its still working but only a black screen.....?
                    Is it really black or grey/black - try in a dark room and see if you can see anything from the backlights.

Welcome to the forum-
                    We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                    X