Old PC's useful for anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old PC's useful for anything?

I have a whole slew of old 1990's computers, some missing parts, and I don't know what to do with them. The collection ranges from Pentium 133's to Celeron 1.1Ghz's. Anyone have any ideas for uses for them? Or where I could find any demand for these antiquated machines?

Re: Old PC's useful for anything?

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
    Anyone have any ideas for uses for them?
    1) Donate them to some organization that teaches how to build/repair computers.

2) Some people love and collect the old stuff. I watch this channel and he loves stuff like what you have.

http://www.youtube.com/user/uxwbill

Send him a message to see if he is interested.

3) Post them on your local free ad site. Some people want the older machines because they play old retro games "properly".
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Those are some good ideas. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

use them to run "experimental" OS's.

F@H them (if your electric is cheap and you have space).

Use them to teach young ones how to build a computer (my dad taught me using a k6-2 box).

See if any's mobos are worth anything (some were common for CNC rigs and the like and still have replacement part demand)

if any are full ATX, hang on to the cases (with a $15 adapter from silverstone and a rattle can you can make them modern port wise). On the rare chance any are EATX, snap a few pics and PM me (I'm looking for a roomy full ATX case for a future potential build).
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Old Pentium / Pentium 3 mbs are very useful for caps, especially if they are Intel they have a bunch of Rubycon/Nichicon/Chemicon/Panasonic. Those caps are too high esr for today's motherboards, but perfect for power supplies.

Comment

I use one for visuallizing music in my stereo system and I have an old mac that I use in my system for streaming music.

Comment

Classic DOS games are right at home on those. (Wolfenstein 3D anyone?)

Or make yourself a MAME cabinet using one of the mobos for the system. So many possibilities!

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

There is also a lot of old software that will only run on an old version of Windows or on old hardware.

I use my two old computers mostly for games. My old Gateway Solo laptop still gets used for school work when my Toshiba laptop is being repaired.

Comment

I have an old Pentium III 733MHz system that seeds Linux distro's 24/7. It only uses 40W and it uploads around 80GB a month. The thing has 46,000 running hours on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X