Acer AL2016W banding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2016W banding

Is there something specific to test when you get light/dark banding on a monitor? I am posting pics since this does not seem to be the same type of banding that I saw mentioned in other threads.

My apologies for the quality of the pictures but it was really hard to get them to show up in the pics.

(edit) I forgot to mention all the caps were already replaced with Panasonic FM series.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Undead; 09-15-2012, 02:16 PM.

Re: Acer AL2016W banding

Hello Undead,

Do you have another lcd panel (screen) that you could substitute for this one and see if it behaves the same way? If not could you post pictures of the rear of the lcd panel. Otherwise I would say that the lcd panel should be replaced.

Good Luck on Your Monitor,
    lcdman

Comment

Hi lcdman,

I'll see what I can dig up, I have several X193w's around so will see if I can hook one of those up.

Comment

I suspect the 193 W being a different resolution,will not give you a great image, but may be enough to give some some idea if the panel is the problem.I would take the cable off between the Screen and logic Board clean the top connector and refit, then see if that has helped with the original screen.

Comment

Ok I tried the boards from the 193w and while it won't stay on, it keeps going into standby, when it is on for several seconds there does not appear to be any banding at all.

I will give your suggestion a try now Rtech.

Comment

Ok first of all I messed up. All my previous hookup did was turn on the lamps and did not actually use the monitor (no I wasn't thinking at all). I don't seem to have anything with a compatible connector. Cleaning the connector now.

Comment

No change after cleaning the connector.

What pictures would you like lcdman? Just the panel itself with the boards etc removed?
              Last edited by Undead; 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I think the panel needs replacing !!

Comment

Hello Undead,

I wanted a picture of the back of your screen without the boards,steel cage,etc. And only to see the type of video connection. I had a similar Acer model that had two thin aluminium wrapped wire connections that went from the video/main board straight to the screen. Not the type of video connection used on alot of other lcd monitors that I've worked on before. I should have suggested to try cleaning and re-seating the connection. Kudos to Rtech as always.

Take Care,
                  lcdman

Comment

Dull grey day so not the best light for pics, if they are not clear enough I will take better ones but I think they should show what you wanted to see.

Even if the screen is dead and needs to be replaced I would like to at least determine what exactly died on it. The important thing is learning
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Undead,

I'm no expert on taking photos, but those look good to me. You have a common type connection for the video cable (LDVS). From what I've read on this site and personally learned about lcd screens, is that there is a thin plastic covered membrane with wires in it that connects to that long small circuit board. That membrane some times comes unbonded from the lcd element itself or sustains some damage (broken connection of the wire(s)). Thats what causes display issues like what your experiencing on this monitor. And thats not repairable. And thats why Rtech said to replace the screen.

Good Luck,
                      lcdman

Comment

Well that would make sense. I can see where wires that small would not be repairable. Since it is dead I guess I can use it to take apart so I can see exactly what all makes up the complete screen.

Thank you very much for everyone who commented and shared your knowledge.

Comment

If you are stripping it down,then suggest you keep the Backlights, as they may well be helpful in the future,either as replacements or to use as a test set, for future fault finding.

Comment

Will definitely keep the backlights

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                            X