Galaxy nvidia 7950 GT AGP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galaxy nvidia 7950 GT AGP

My card blew two capacitors. One had FZ57 470 16V on the top and a distance between the pins of 5mm (10mm cap diameter). The other one had FZ6C 470 16V on the top and a distance between the pins of 4mm (8mm cap diameter). Can you help me find these capacitors?
    Attached Files
    I fix therefore I am.

Re: Galaxy nvidia 7950 GT AGP

Welcome to the forums!

They do not appear to be polymer and/or solid electrolytic units:
    http://www.capacitorlab.com/capacitor-types-polymer/
    So use Nippon Chemi-Con KY (or the longer life and smaller KZM) series.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Actually they are normal electrolytics in disguise, that is why they fail so spectacularly; they are the worst caps ever known to mankind and to top it off they have no vents so when they go they go hard!
      These two threads have some details on suitable replacements;

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=87781
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8343
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I read on another forum that it was important to get replacement caps that were the same diameter, height and pitch (distance between pins) as the original caps. Is this true?
        I fix therefore I am.

Comment

The only problem with using caps that are a different physical size is that it may block the PCI slot nest to the video card. It's more important to make sure that the ratings and series are correct. You can replace them with any series that have the same or better ESR than FZ. Either Panasonic FM, Nichicon HE, Chemi-Con KY, Rubycon MBZ ot MCZ would be OK for replacments.

Also, Replace ALL the caps, not just the busted ones!!
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thank you all for the quick replies. I found Panasonic FM replacements at digi-key except the FZ57 470 16V which was not in stock. I am going to try one of the other brands to replace it. Have you heard of NTE capacitors?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jlk69; 12-01-2009, 01:58 AM.
            I fix therefore I am.

Comment

Never heard of NTE brand and the VHT series doesn't look suitable for this application, although someone with more experience could fill me in here. You can get rubycon caps from badcaps.net or nichicon HM from Mouser.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

NTE doesn't manufacture caps. They are just a distributor of rebranded parts.
                They don't sell low ESR caps. Neither does Radio Shack.
                If ESR isn't in the data sheet they aren't low ESR.
                [Sometimes they call ESR Impedance in data sheets. Impedance is basically [kinda] ESR + Xc but at 100kHz Xc is almost zero and so pretty much irrelevant.]

You can just say FZ. - The 57 is a date code or a batch code or something.

Diameter does matter in that if it's not right the lead spacing is usually off and because of that you have to form the leads. That usually means the cap won't be able to sit right on the board which may make it too high.

You said the 470uF 16v are 8mm caps.
                The FM 470uF 16v 8mm is in stock.
                http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12376-ND
                Unless you need more than 58,655 of them anyway.

An 8mm FM isn't good enough to replace a 10mm FZ. The 10mm FZ's ESR is much lower so you need a 10mm FM or to go for a better grade. At digikey the only thing better than FM is a solid polymer.
                http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-3019-ND
                If you don't want to go that route then check what mouser has or buy an MBZ or MCZ from right here. Panasonic FL or FJ and Sanyo WG would also work. [I'd probably suck up the cost of the poly to avoid paying shipping from two places.]
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-01-2009, 04:19 AM.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X