Viewsonic VX2255WMB Grey Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VX2255WMB Grey Screen

Hey I just found an old broken monitor that a friend of mine gave to me awhile ago. I wanted to try to see if it is possible to repair it. I'm new to monitor repairing and I've been reading up on them for the past couple of days. The problem with my monitor is that, I would turn it on and the blue power light turns on. The screen turns on shortly after with a grey screen for 3 seconds and would then shut off and the blue power light turns red.

I've disassembled the monitor down to the logic board and I've check the capacitors and they seem to look fine (no blown capacitors) so I still do not know the problem. I have very small and basic knowledge of circuits but any help would be appeciated! Thanks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC09742.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC09743.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC09744.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC09745.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC09746.jpg

Heres a couple of pictures, if you need any higher quality photos of anything just ask!

Re: Viewsonic VX2255WMB Grey Screen

Attach the pictures using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I've been trying to upload them but it keeps giving me, "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."

Comment

Originally posted by tieny View Post
        I've been trying to upload them but it keeps giving me, "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."
        Follow my sig file instructions below exactly.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          Attach the pictures using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
          attached
          Attached Files

Comment

Okay i got it, here are higher quality pictures.
            Attached Files

Comment

U7 and U10 are voltage regulators on the main/logic board.

Measure all 3 pins (ignore the fat tab). List the part number as well for each regulator. Report it like

U7
              AL1117-33
              pin 1 = 0.0V DC
              pin 2 = 3.29V DC
              pin 3 = 5.01V DC
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay im a bit new at this, but how do i measure the pins, where do i put the probes?

Comment

Usually black probe on a mounting screw (ground) and the red probe on each pin (leg). Be careful not to "slip" and touch something else while measuring.

Comment

i just noticed that the middle pin of the U7 regulator happens to be unconnected. Is this just how it is designed or would it be the defect?

I took the measurements of U7 and U10

U7
                    L1117LG-1.8 2A6831A96
                    pin 1 - 3 i measured 0V for all

U10
                    50117 K-G 63836
                    pin 1 = 0V
                    pin 2 = 0V
                    pin 3 = 0.014V (and dropping)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tieny; 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

i just noticed that the middle pin of the U7 regulator happens to be unconnected. Is this just how it is designed or would it be the defect?
                      By design.

I took the measurements of U7 and U10

U7
                      L1117LG-1.8 2A6831A96
                      pin 1 - 3 i measured 0V for all

U10
                      50117 K-G 63836
                      pin 1 = 0V
                      pin 2 = 0V
                      pin 3 = 0.014V (and dropping)
                      Hmm, all 0.0V.

On the power board, measure the DC voltage of each connector pin that connects the power and logic board. Use a ground screw on the power board for your black probe. Report your findings.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm I suppose to measure this pins while it is plugged in?

Comment

I'm I suppose to measure this pins while it is plugged in?
                          Did you measure the voltage regulators with power on? It has to be with power on.

Yes, you need to measure all the pins with power on.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

U10
                            L1117LG-1.8 2A6831A96
                            pin 1 = 0V
                            pin 2 = 1.88V
                            pin 3 = 3.3V

U7
                            50117 K-G 63836
                            pin 1 = 0V
                            pin 2 = 3.3V
                            pin 3 = 4.86V

Comment

Those readings look good. I'm dead tired and exhausted so I may not be thinking clearly, but see if you have 2 seconds to black. It is explained in posts #19 and #20 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

tiredcaps - off to bed
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Funny it seems that I find a post with the same monitor I am working on as of now! So I guess its been worked on before and I found its past history.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=VX2255WMB

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=VX2255WMB

I don't think i have 2 seconds to black, as i cannot see any images after the white screen shuts off.
                                Last edited by tieny; 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

What should i look for specifically?

Comment

What should i look for specifically?
                                    Let's verify something from an earlier post. You mentioned a 'White' or 'Gray' screen that went away when the power LED turns red. What happens if it's hooked up to a computer?

The problem sounds like a bad connection to the LCD panel, a problem with the panel board (TCON), or a problem with the GPU.

PlainBill
                                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I have the sAme results when plugged in my computer. My computer is able to recognize the device (the little usb input sound) but it would not change any symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                        By design.

Hmm, all 0.0V.

On the power board, measure the DC voltage of each connector pin that connects the power and logic board. Use a ground screw on the power board for your black probe. Report your findings.
                                        You still need to do this and list findings

Also

WITH POWER OFF and unplugged for 5 minutes test the secondary windings on the inverter transformer - see post no 20 in the 2 sec to black guide mentioned above.
                                        Last edited by selldoor; 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM.
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                        X