Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Automation Controller (AKA: a Rebranded Industrial Machine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Automation Controller (AKA: a Rebranded Industrial Machine)

This was found at a used construction supply and demolition salvage center last time I was in Vancouver. They labelled it a "Home Automation Computer" and they said it and a bunch of other stuff was pulled from a house they demolished in West Vancouver. I couldn't find anything else that might be related to it.

Some searching found the case was sold by Arise who specialize in industrial computers. There's no hard drive but the machine has a 3.5" floppy and a ZIP drive. Worth noting the 250W PSU is autoranging and is actually really well built with UNC's on everything.
    The SBC computer within is a Teknor Applicom T946. 500mhz Celeron, IDE, Networking, VGA etc.

Some of the pin headers are labelled but the rest are not. The cabling for the front power/HDD led and the reset button were not plugged in so I have no idea where to connect those and I can't find any sort of manual for the SBC. That paddleboard (next to that hilarious CMOS battery hack) was found bouncing around inside the case and looks like you put a Compact Flash card in there. I guess they pulled the card and threw that back in but it means I don't know what OS this used to run, or what the automation software was.
    Has an Award BIOS however with the LOGO option.

The rest of the cards in the machine are as follows:

Equinox Megaport 8CS (I have one of these already. It's an 8-port RS-232 board and all the ports are RJ11)
    Creative Sound Blaster CT4170 (A fairly typical Vibra chipset sound card with a cable running from the TAD port to the modem)
    Aplha Elite V32 (dual VGA video card with a Nvidia Geforce FX5200)
    US Robotics 56K modem (Seems to support data, fax and voice which I guess explains the TAD audio cable)
    There's also one open PCI slot. No idea what might of been there.

There's two fans in the case and everything is otherwise passively cooled. It's also really quiet. I guess it was installed in a closet somewhere and ran 24/7.
    It's an OEM something using parts from a number of vendors. I'm finding absolutely nothing here in regards to it being used in home automation but I've been proven wrong before. By off chance has anyone here ever come across something similar? Does anyone know where I could find the manual for the SBC?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-31-2017, 12:22 PM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Home Automation Controller (AKA: a Rebranded Industrial Machine)

I found a few manuals here https://www.manualslib.com/brand/tek...ial-computers/

looks like its a Kontron PCI-946 board
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R_J; 03-25-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

The PCI-946 is indeed the same board but with the Adaptec SCSI chip also added. The product datasheet also confirms that the connectors I'm seeking are on the board somewhere but again, nobody has the installation manual which would actually SAY what each header does.
      Find Nedry!

Comment

I have a backplane to one of these at my parents' old house... never knew what it was for.

If you want it, its yours for the cost of shipping (assuming it's still there).
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Install a hard drive and put an os on it

Comment

Goddamn i hate PhotoPhucket! 504's galore. The number of 307's is annoying as well.....
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              Install a hard drive and put an os on it
              I gave it a 4gb Compact Flash card and threw Windows 98 on it. First thing I can say is:

-The multiport card does not have DOS or Windows drivers, or at least if there are they are not that easy to find.
              -The video card locks the machine once you load Nvidia's drivers. Older drivers don't change much.

I really wish I knew that the hell OS this ran that supposedly supported such a modern graphics card and also a multiport card that according to Google was marketed as a Unix console card during the PC AT and PS/2 days.
              Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium View Post
                I gave it a 4gb Compact Flash card and threw Windows 98 on it. First thing I can say is:

-The multiport card does not have DOS or Windows drivers, or at least if there are they are not that easy to find.
                -The video card locks the machine once you load Nvidia's drivers. Older drivers don't change much.

I really wish I knew that the hell OS this ran that supposedly supported such a modern graphics card and also a multiport card that according to Google was marketed as a Unix console card during the PC AT and PS/2 days.
                Early Linux?
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Os/2?
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                  X