dead antec PSU, small diameter blown caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dead antec PSU, small diameter blown caps

Hi, I've got a dead PSU, 4 swollen caps are on it.
    2 are 6.3v 4700uF caps right next to the 5 v output rails
    the other two is a 10v 1000uF and a 10v 2200uF cap, both near a transformer (there's heat marks on the PCB there).

The problem I have is all a smaller than the usual diameter and larger ones wouldn't fit. The 1000uf and 2200uf are 8mm dia (smallest I can find are 10mm), and the 4700uf are 10mm, smallest I can find are 12mm.

I swear that all these manufacturers use crappy fuhjjyu caps because they come in the smallest package. Anyone got model numbers of decent caps that I can google and maybe find down here in australia?

I had to throw out an old tagan PSU a while back for the same reason, crappy fuhuytyuus! blew, (damn just typing that name makes me get all angry on my k/b and start bashing it!), and I couldn't find any replacement caps small enough so I tossed that PSU. So I'd rather take the time to learn where to source decent small diameter caps this time even if it is an antec PSU so I finially find out where to get replacement caps.

Re: dead antec PSU, small diameter blown caps

RS or Farnell perhaps?

it's a problem trying to get these small enough sometimes
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Really that hard to find some samxon's, ucc's, or panny's down there?

Comment

I live in New Zealand so it's even worse.

Jaycar USED to stock Samxon L/ESR, but now does "Suntan" (Which I don't like the sound of)

RS is probably the only local place I can get decent brand capacitors here.

Farnell perhaps but I think they ship them in from Australia and they cost more than RS anyway.

Digikey is probably no good, I wanted to get a SCSI adaptor from them once, they wanted $45 for the adaptor and $40 for shipping, that put me right off.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

What year, wattage, & model Antec? Pics of problems help us help you.

Contact the site owner, Topcat.

Use this chart:
          https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22

The 4700uF is a joke as it probably wasn't ever that value, even new. Use an MBZ 3300uF there.

The MCZ 1000uF is 8mm.

The MBZ 2200uF is 10mm, but you might be able to jack it up off the board a bit and it will be fine. It messes with the ESR a bit, but certainly will be better than what is there. Slip a bit of insulation on the legs. Again, pics here would help see where it has to go.

Replace ALL Fuhjyyu caps and any cap over 330uF.

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

digikey has good shipping rates. find the pannys you want, add to card, calculate shipping, and make a decision. maybe that scsi adapter was only in a warehouse in no man's land.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
              digikey has good shipping rates.
              Not outside USA. Last time I ordered from them, US$17 for the capacitors and US$33 for shipping. Personally, I mostly order from a couple of eBay-vendors I know got good products, but there are a few values values they don't stock, and I usually use DigiKey for them.
              ------------
              Be a mensch

Comment

i thought there were European distributors as well.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yeah I can not find anything to replace these narrow diameter fuhjyyu caps in any of my blown PSUs. They were small for a reason, because they are crap and no other manufacturer seems to even try to make them that size.
                  I tried farnell, RS spares and the guy that sells samxon here, nothing would fit as there caps are very small diameter and packed tightly together. To fit one on raised legs is one thing, to fit them side to side all raised is just bad.
                  My soldering skill and electronics expertise is limited to replacing MOVs and IR recievers on air conditioners for repairs. I have no great electronic, mathematic, soldering skills or knowledge where even to get decent electronic supplies

So anyway, I've given up on repairing these PSUs and would rather buy a PSU with a) decent caps that shouldn't blow, b) come in standard sizes should the unthinkable happen.
                  I've been looking at new PSUs for both this s939 system and my new build which I'll do next month (I5 and new mid range single GPU ATI card).
                  I'm trying to look out for decent PSUs with decent capacitors, one x 400W for the s939, one x 550-600w for the I5 system.

I guess capxon is the new fuhjyyu? So I should still avoid antec and zalman?

The single rail cheaper corsair VX 450 and 550w look good to me due to solid design and capacitors. Am I wrong here and is something with a newer multi rail design better specced, better designed, better capacitors and cheaper?
                  Last edited by pablo_h; 09-14-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

>>come in standard sizes should the unthinkable happen<<

Don't believe that for one minute. The manufacturer can get caps in sizes you and I can't. They spec the supply for an 8 or 10 mm cap, where we can only get 10 or 12.5mm in the same capacitance. They need 500,000 of them and the manufacturer will adjust production for them.

New Antec's seem to be using Delta's. I RMA'd a few SP-450 units earlier this year and got their EarthWatts 550's as replacements. UL listing said Delta. Decent stuff.

Check out the PSU discussion and pictorial threads. Other members with a broader exposure to these have posted some good information.

Also see: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/power
                    Reviews and torture testing.

Toast
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

How about mouser.com ? I think they have more things in stock then digikey (they had Nichicon HZs while digikey didn't).

Comment

I flip between Mouser and DigiKey. Depending on who has the majority of what I want. I also like Mouser's interface better than DK's. Plus it allows me to build an order and save it as a project that I can go back to any time for a reorder. Nice for repetitive PSU or mobo recaps.

The problem with these PSU's as pablo_h said is the whacked sizes that Fuhjyyu used and others still do. Then they're packed in like sardines and nothing else will fit.

Toast
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

I was able to to wedge 12.5 4400uf Panny FCs in there. By tilting the 3.3V coil a bit they were around 2-3 mms off the board.

No problems out of the 3 SP 500Ws I recapped.

But yes I'm sure with a slight redesign the proper clearances for the proper caps could have been achieved. But the PSUs were designed around crap caps.
                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

i just use the 3300@6.3 mbz on +5 and 3.3 and the +12 gets 1800@16 mbz.
                            i have done a ton of these and they were all well within atx spec for ripple.

Comment

Probably because as Toasty said that cap was probably never anywhere near that value. Overrated like most Chinese PSUs.

As for a manufacturer making custom sizes a top tier manufacturer may have problems making a reliable cap at that capacitance in that diameter. Which is probably why you only see them in crap cap brands.

A 10mm cap would require the plates to be closer together which would require an electrolyte to match to prevent the plates from arcing and it would also still have to yield a long life. It may be asking for too much due to current advances in cap manufacturing at this point in time.
                              Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-15-2009, 06:50 AM.
                              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I agree with kc8adu.
                                [pretty much everyone else too on their specific points.]
                                KC's plan works fine and it gets around the problem of 12.5mm replacement caps that won't fit in spots where a 10mm was.
                                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 09-15-2009, 03:51 PM.
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                  i just use the 3300@6.3 mbz on +5 and 3.3 and the +12 gets 1800@16 mbz.
                                  i have done a ton of these and they were all well within atx spec for ripple.
                                  Cheers, I might give that a go.

Comment

Working...
                                  X