Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vestel 17MB62 Chassis

Hi.

This is a shot in the dark. I'm after a particular variant of the software for this chassis. It's complicated, I'll give you a heads-up.

I have a 22 inch TV-DVD combi using MB62 Vestel Chassis. Unfortunately I did an update to the most recent firmware and now discover that the new firmware is for the wrong tuner (Sony instead of LG). Guess what? I don't have the original . With the new firmware it doesn't tune at all, just goes through the motions and finds nothing, all other functions work though.

This chassis also has the majority of service menu items read only, so can't change it there. I've got hold of quite a few software files for this chassis, however so far the best one I've found has the correct source options and tuner but the wrong panel type. It's tolerable but I'm concerned it's overdriving the LCD, not to mention that it starts in French on the initial set up menu.

During my messing I managed to brick the board and had to remove the SPI flash and program it up in an external programmer (heavily modified so it would recognise the 3.3v IC in my 5volt programmer.) I'm now at least back where I was with it booting up and accepting firmware files, and fully functional aside from incorrect options depending on what file I use.

So after all that here's the questions........

Does anyone have any files for this chassis that might be different to what I have? Each variant is named mb62_en.bin. I'm basically after as many of these as I can get hold of. I've built up quite a lot of knowledge on this chassis now, as you will imagine there is not much info available out there for these products. I'm at the stage of examining the raw HEX code on the files I have, it's a tear your hair out situation, trying to find subsets of strings that differ between files similar. Then of course it's dawning on me that some code will be instruction, some data. So it may be more likely impossible the way i'm going with it. The alternative is to build a kernel and modules which will allow me to customise options. This involves cross-compiling not to mention I don't actually know what MIPS processor is being used, pure linux hacker terriory and I'm not sure my brain will allow me to go that far!

Well anyway there's the upshot, and believe me the story is much longer than this. Any MB62 files you may be able to acquire would be gratefully appreciated.

As a parting gesture I have a collection of these files, together with a RAW dump of the SPI flash, and a lot of knowledge gained during my exploits. If you're doing battle with one of these you are welcome to give me a shout to see if I can offer any assistance. I used to hate them but in reality it's actually a nice chassis, the lack of support lets it down.

Cheers everyone.

Ask any questions, I tell no lies

Re: Vestel 17MB62 Chassis

I have one that's completely dead, the only sign of life being the touch buttons on the front beep when touched.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comment

I wasn't aware these sets ran Linux -- interesting. Sadly I can't offer much help on the other front though.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ciao.

http://monitor.net.ru/forum/topic283376-352.html

Comment

http://elektrotanya.com/vestel_17mb6.../download.html

Comment

Originally posted by clark97 View Post
            I have one that's completely dead, the only sign of life being the touch buttons on the front beep when touched.

Any help greatly appreciated.
            I can send you the 17MB62 manual if it helps, I have some software (wrong tuner type still

Firstly, I can tell you the blue LED fails incredibly regularly on these, so if there's no sign of light from that your set may appear more dead than it is. The regular failure mode where you get a beep from the controls usually shows a flashing LED so you need to eliminate a faulty LED to see if it is indeed flashing.

The flashing LED can indicate a short-circuit, so with the aid of the manual you need to check the voltage rails on the main board first. You will also get the same symptoms if the firmware is corrupted. I can send you the firmware I have for this model, which you shove on a USB stick, power down the TV (pull the plug), put the stick in the TV, hold "OK" on the remote, plug TV back in still holding OK down until LED responds, then let it do it's stuff and if successful the set will power up to the install screen after a minute or so.

Worst case where the initial boot code has been destroyed is to remove the SPI i.c and flash the file mboot.bin from the firmware files to it directly.

This sounds complex, it is quite, if you're that way inclined you may message me on here and I'll find some way of uploading what I have for you.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              I wasn't aware these sets ran Linux -- interesting. Sadly I can't offer much help on the other front though.
              As far as I've been able to tell from dissecting the files and info I've managed to get, it's a customised embedded Linux (or UNIX-like) system, the processor of the Mstar SOC i.c. appears to be from the MIPS family. I've been off this for quite a while but decided to carry on fiddling.

I'm currently building a system based on Fedora Linux to try and mount the binary firmware flash file and see if I can get any more from it. I've tried with my current Ubuntu system but it needs some messing with the kernel to mount the flash file, and I'm not up to kernel building right now.

Hope I don't sound dead geeky here, actually I haven't played with Linux for 7 years or so and don't really know what I'm doing, but I can take the consequences and may learn something useful.

Would be easier if Vestel would provide the firmware but hey ho.

Comment

the manual and software would be very helpful, you could email it to me at clark97@hotmail.co.UK

thanks in advance

Clark

Comment

Certainly be an interesting read!!

Not a Unix Guru myself either but messed with it in the past, unix linux etc..

Also firmwares might be worth a go on a tv I have at the mo though think its the board itself.

Comment

What about a tuner change ?

Comment

Originally posted by Clydeuk View Post
                      I can send you the 17MB62 manual if it helps, I have some software (wrong tuner type still

Firstly, I can tell you the blue LED fails incredibly regularly on these, so if there's no sign of light from that your set may appear more dead than it is. The regular failure mode where you get a beep from the controls usually shows a flashing LED so you need to eliminate a faulty LED to see if it is indeed flashing.

The flashing LED can indicate a short-circuit, so with the aid of the manual you need to check the voltage rails on the main board first. You will also get the same symptoms if the firmware is corrupted. I can send you the firmware I have for this model, which you shove on a USB stick, power down the TV (pull the plug), put the stick in the TV, hold "OK" on the remote, plug TV back in still holding OK down until LED responds, then let it do it's stuff and if successful the set will power up to the install screen after a minute or so.

Worst case where the initial boot code has been destroyed is to remove the SPI i.c and flash the file mboot.bin from the firmware files to it directly.

This sounds complex, it is quite, if you're that way inclined you may message me on here and I'll find some way of uploading what I have for you.
                      Hi, I'm a bit new at this (quite fascinating to find out so many makes have the same basic system boards inside...).
                      I have been given a Hitachi L24DG07U, natch it doesn't work but so far it has cost me nothing but a bit of time
                      I have tested the PSU (17PW80 - thanks to info posted by Tom66) and all seems to be good there.
                      The Mainboard is 17MB62-2.6
                      When I power it up nothing happens however when I unplug it the Blue LED glows briefly. That is as far as I have got and I'm not sure what to do next.
                      If it is the Mainboard I have found various ones advertised but I am guessing I would need to get an exact match and I would like to be reasonably certain it's not something else I have missed / can test for.
                      Any help with this very much appreciated

Comment

This thread lacks pictures - can you post good clear ones straight on of the
                        power board and the main board.

Does the back light flash at all at any time - are you saying the power led doesnt come on at all until you unplug the set.
                        Have you got a source connected, dvd is good then it has sound.
                        As you are working blind you would have to cycle through the inputs to try
                        and find it.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                          This thread lacks pictures - can you post good clear ones straight on of the
                          power board and the main board.

Does the back light flash at all at any time - are you saying the power led doesnt come on at all until you unplug the set.
                          Have you got a source connected, dvd is good then it has sound.
                          As you are working blind you would have to cycle through the inputs to try
                          and find it.
                          Hi, I will take some pictures tonight and post them up.

The back light doesn't do anything and yes, the blue standby / power light on the front of the set only lights up (and then fades) when I unplug from the mains Nothing at all when I apply power...

If I put a DVD in then it accepts it and spins up as it should do. I have just tried cycling the inputs with the DVD in and nothing. Also tried it with headphones connected and there is just a faint crackle as I plug them in

Comment

Sorry but I don't seem to be able to create new posts, I have a sharp LC-24LE240E on the work bench, it came in as a no start a quick investigation found the PSU to be defective (vestel 17pw80) refurbished the supply and part reassembled to test. The unit powered up and displayed a picture for some 30 minutes before failing again.

Examining the PSU showed the same presenting fault, rebuilt and bench tested supply found to be functional, the service manuals I have for the TV indicate that there is a shorted rail which I am unable to find in dead testing. Starting the tv up board by board seems to indicate the shorted rail to be on the main board, but from dead testing none of the rails appear shorted or to be low ohms.

any assistance welcome

Mark

Comment

Did the same component fail on the PSU? Did you replace the commonly shorted diodes?
                              The diodes must be ultra fast types. If you use standard types, they will fail within short order.
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The same components failed although the PSU bench tests satisfactory, but when reassembled it shows a the same power on short circuit as previous, this time around did not force the PSU to complete start up as the result would have been the same. Diodes used are ultra fast type, uprated to 6amp from the previous 3 amp ones.

Comment

I have the same problem and I found someone mb62_en.bin software for usb? to admit tuner lg?, TELEFUNKEN 17mb62-2, 21,5inch, I put bin ok spi memory directly, but to no avail, so just want to usb stick, thank you
                                  Last edited by iuliantv; 03-12-2015, 09:56 AM.

Comment

nothing? any good news? I got a tuner lg mb62 with soft crashed, I put other software, but none tuner recognizes lg18273, this information appears in the service menu to a functional tv, I tried software for toshiba sharp or not recuniosc tuner or not recognize the display, excuse insistence but I'm starting to scare these mb62 Chase tuner lg, I think others will follow, thank you, all the best

Comment

or maybe someone knows a method for extracting functional software on a tv tuner lg mb62 with the same plate, and his writing board problem, a kind of backup on USB or other methods like jtag etc. spi flash memory rewriting mention that not bring any improvement, data tuner ditch written in flash memory in the slot but +, nor have the equipment necessary to program it flash memory (taken out and put into any programmer) have in possession a programmer postal avr3, an interface RS232, and can contribute a JTAG programmer in case I can not find the old one, thank you

Comment

Hello everyone.
                                        I'm from Portugal and a few days ago I bought on ebay a led tv Bush LED19982HD 19 "in the UK.
                                        I asked at the time the seller if bear to the MPEG4 format, and he replied that Free view will work. I've been watching the service manual of this TV, which is a 17mb62-2.6, and it said that supported mpeg2 and mpeg4, so I bought. When I received it I connect it, saying "The video format is not supported".
                                        Here in Portugal the format of digital terrestrial television is mpeg4 and the tv came with MPEG2, and have TVs with the same main board 17mb62 working here in Portugal.
                                        There will be a solution to change the format to mpeg4?
                                        thank you

Comment

Working...
                                        X