PSU Overloaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSU Overloaded?

I was playing Minecraft on my main PC. I was getting random freezing and stuttering sound, after I put the Graphics from Fast to Fancy... I changed it back again and all was fine for another 30 seconds it kept happening... I quit Minecraft (also Skype which was runnign unused in the background) and re-opened Minecraft and it's fine now. My CPU is at about 85 to 100% utilization during playing.
    I'm assuming it was just memory shortage because it's fine now, but I opened case to check temps of video card (Asus Silent passive-cooled Geforce 8600) and it was pretty warm, but not too hot...
    While I had it open I checked PSU voltages at an extra Molex connector and I found that it was at 11.85V (fluctuating between 11.84 and 11.89 depending on game load), and the 5v rail was at around 5.11v.
    I quit Minecraft and the voltages went to 11.91 (approx) and 5V went to 5.08 (approx), I'm assuming the 5v went down because it's group regulated.
    Anyway, I'm wondering if the LiteOn 250W is OK for my PC?
    specs:
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.5GHz
    -3GB DDR2
    -160GB Seagate HDD
    -Asus Geforce 8600 something PCI-Express
    -1 case fan
    -1 DVDRW (not in use at time)

It's a Compaq Presario CQ5017C with everybody's favorite (sarcasm) chipset...

Re: PSU Overloaded?

Minecraft is very CPU heavy (Java crap at it's best). You'd probably get the same (or worse) PSU voltage results while running coredamage.

One thing you didn't mention: what PSU is it?

Other than that, it might just be the usual G84/G86 (Geforce 8400-8600 series) GPU disaster.
    One thing these GPUs don't like at all is hard thermal cycling, like room temp to 60+°C which is easily possible on a passive cooled card.

Any graphics glitches or nvidia driver resets so far?

Comment

LiteON is not known as bad psu company and 250w is enough for that system, especially since you're not using powerful video card.

If your CPU is not overheating, it's probably the chipset starting to have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        LiteON is not known as bad psu company and 250w is enough for that system, especially since you're not using powerful video card.

If your CPU is not overheating, it's probably the chipset starting to have issues.
        The nVidia chipset in this thing has been great to me :P

Comment

I think you are overloading the 12V rail. If it's 11.9 idle, it's gonna be lower under load (and the 5v rail will acutally go up, not down). Remember too that the entire 8xxx series graphics has the nvidia defect, so passive cooling anything more powerful than an 8400 is a REALLY bad idea.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            I think you are overloading the 12V rail. If it's 11.9 idle, it's gonna be lower under load (and the 5v rail will acutally go up, not down). Remember too that the entire 8xxx series graphics has the nvidia defect, so passive cooling anything more powerful than an 8400 is a REALLY bad idea.
            I've got an nVidia graphics card on an OEM Asus motherboard with an nVidia chipset, and it's a Compaq PC with a 250W PSU...
            I know there's nothing to like about my PC but it does it's job just fine...

As I measured, it never goes below 11.84V, is that OK?

Comment

11.84V is well in spec. What I was trying to say about passive cooling and nVidia is the graphics card and the KZG caps all over your motherboard would be my first suspects.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

OK thanks for the advice, if I have any issues I will post here.
                Skype?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  I've got an nVidia graphics card on an OEM Asus motherboard with an nVidia chipset, and it's a Compaq PC
                  I don't wanna offend you, but in my book, that's about the worst possible config evaarrr.. (apart from maybe ECS motherboards)
                  If you can top it all off with a Samsung HDD and Lite-On (more like Lite-Off) optical drives, that thing deserves an award for still being functional
                  ASDS (Asus Sudden Death Syndrome) amongst other things come to mind..

Comment

Never had trouble with Lite-On drives myself... actually that's all i use.

The PSU runs in spec from what you have told us. Like everyone else i'd suspect the motherboard.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

From my experience, Lite-offs like to get jammed trays and have to be force-ejected with a paper clip after a couple of years of (light) use.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        Never had trouble with Lite-On drives myself... actually that's all i use.

The PSU runs in spec from what you have told us. Like everyone else i'd suspect the motherboard.
                        agreed... my main rig uses 2 of them, they are the quietest drives I have ever owned... and all of my old lite on drives still work great... I also love how compact they are...
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                          I don't wanna offend you, but in my book, that's about the worst possible config evaarrr.. (apart from maybe ECS motherboards)
                          If you can top it all off with a Samsung HDD and Lite-On (more like Lite-Off) optical drives, that thing deserves an award for still being functional
                          ASDS (Asus Sudden Death Syndrome) amongst other things come to mind..
                          Lol, no offense taken, you're not the only one who's said that and I honestly couldn't agree more
                          I've got a Seagate HDD and IDK what kind of optical drive i have...

Comment

As for Lite-On/Off .. most of their drives I've had had either tray issues, or weak to semi-dead lasers after a year or so. (didn't burn CDs/DVDs anymore or had trouble reading them, crawling at less than 4x read speed)
                            Samsung ODD's were a bit better, but had pretty much the same issues. I've always preferred LG drives, but the more recent ones (2010 onwards) seem to be junk aswell.

I had to replace a customers DVD burner (LG H22NS50) recently because after just 3 or 4 months, it stopped burning DVDs and CDs properly. DVDs couldn't be read reliably in any other drive, and CDs only worked till about 2/3rds of the surface area.

Compared to my older LG GSA-4167B DVD burner, that drive was just a massive hunk of plastic junk. The H22NS50 weighs about half as much.. and the reliability.. meh :|
                            Got it replaced under warranty and the new drive has been OK so far, but its only been a couple months..

I guess it's time to check out Sony/NEC once again
                            Last edited by Scenic; 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              agreed... my main rig uses 2 of them, they are the quietest drives I have ever owned...
                              The Lite-On drives I have seen don't have the vibration dampener that most drive manufacturers use, and they produce less noise and vibration than the drives with the vibration dampening system.
                              As for Lite-On/Off .. most of their drives I've had had either tray issues, or weak to semi-dead lasers after a year or so. (didn't burn CDs/DVDs anymore or had trouble reading them, crawling at less than 4x read speed)
                              Samsung ODD's were a bit better, but had pretty much the same issues. I've always preferred LG drives, but the more recent ones (2010 onwards) seem to be junk aswell.

I guess it's time to check out Sony/NEC once again
                              I have a DVD recorder with a Lite-On drive, and it won't burn DVDs anymore and the tray gets stuck open. Samsung and Sony are the drive manufacturers that I have had the most trouble with. I have seen Samsung drives scratch discs and Sony drives don't last very long. The only working Samsung drive I have gets stuck closed. I have worn out my Lite-On and LG drives.

Back on topic: The computer is a Compaq. The motherboard is bad enough that it could have been used in your "worst computer ever," the power supply is just barely powerful enough to run the computer, and they have weird software issues that pop up randomly. Once you fix one problem, another pops up until you replace the motherboard with a non-Compaq board and reinstall Windows with a real Microsoft disc.

Comment

What do you mean "a real Microsoft disc"???

I found that almost all the used Samsung drives I've come across with the CD tray with the rounded corners (instead of 90* angle corners) are stuck and need tapping or hitting to open

Comment

clean retail (or whatever) install disc as opposed to HP/Compaq restore crap loaded with programs and other sh!t noone needs..

Comment

I thought my Samsung DVD drive died, but nope, she still works.

I wish I could say the same for my 80gb Spinpoint...
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

clean retail (or whatever) install disc as opposed to HP/Compaq restore crap loaded with programs and other sh!t noone needs..
                                      I got the Computer without a hard drive, and the restore partition was on the hard drive...
                                      So I used my Windows 7 Ultimate CD to install, no HP/Compaq bloatware. Besides, it would have Vista which I don't like as much (Shoot me for this if you want to but I still rather have Vista than XP, once I get my Vista CD working I will replace all my XP computers with Vista :P)

Comment

Working...
                                      X