Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern browsers on legacy PC's (Split thread from PSU hall of shame)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern browsers on legacy PC's (Split thread from PSU hall of shame)

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    I am guesstimating that XP probably has 1-2 years more of use on the web with Firefox.... or maybe 3 if we are lucky.
    The only way Windows XP will be killed off from the net is if the HTML standard itself is scrapped entirely for something brand new and completely incompatible with anything older, while 32-bit x86 programs are discontinued at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
      but even 1.5GB is still enough for simple browsing. Can be used by old persons to talk with their children via Skype...
      Even a good while ago, back in 2013, IIRC, Windows was struggling with Skype, with 2 GB of RAM...

Much less dare to use major web applications on a 64-bit browser with < 5 GB of RAM! Especially Chrome! You can expect the dreaded "Aw, Snap!" error message (or similar)...
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-15-2017, 03:30 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
        Been playing with that Pale Moon for a while, many bloated sites like my webmail or fleebay seem to run almost normally in that. That's while running Opera 12.18 simultaneously for other websites all on that 3@3.3GHz 478 Prescott
        Yup, that's the way to do it, as I've mentioned before. I do the same, but with Opera and Firefox (actually mostly Firefox nowadays). As long as you have at least 1 GB of RAM on a XP machine (or 2 GB on 7), you'll be fine.

Originally posted by Heihachi_73
        The only way Windows XP will be killed off from the net is if the HTML standard itself is scrapped entirely for something brand new and completely incompatible with anything older, while 32-bit x86 programs are discontinued at the same time.
        I suppose there is some truth to that. But eventually new programs won't be made in 32-bit, and so you will be forced to use only legacy stuff. When that happens to the browsers, it won't be too long before the old browsers become too obsolete (given how often browsers are updated nowadays).

Comment

Old ff up to 24 many sites don't work for these days.

Comment

If M$ didn't patch the SMB bug that WCRY was exploiting, would XP die faster?

Comment

I've just run into an unofficial fork of Pale Moon which has the latest stuff for XP/2003, New Moon. So far found only portable build, but to hell with it, it works!
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

so share a link!

Comment

Try search engine?

Building own build thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16241
                  portable version https://www.sendspace.com/file/z54hl0 from K-Meleon forums (http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read...,142494,142581)
                  Even found installer for 27.5.0 https://mega.nz/#!0OJAiCoL!gMHDffJ8H...FHx7FlDZCUXLXM
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Windows performs badly on an i7 and no, it doesn't get better as you subtract hardware.

I was using a browser on an old i386 box running SCO Unix, X11R5 and Konky last week. It works fine. CNN's JavaScript-overload main page loads in a couple of seconds. I checked Weather.com. It was a pig, but it's a pig on anything. That's a 386. 16MHz. 8MB of RAM.

Use Firefox. Install NoScript and AdBlock Plus. When a page says "You're Using AdBlock, Please Disable It", just say "Good Call! No thanks!" and close that site because they suck: they want to play an ad on your browser that may very well install a virus because morons like MSN don't check those ads for malware. Not quite as bad on Win 10, but still really REALLY bad.

Windows is like if Scarlett Johansson lost her clothes and passed out drunk in an alley in downtown Chicago: violation is inevitable, and it doesn't do much besides look good.
                    When testing electrolytic catzappers, you should always wear an OSHA approved safety squint.
                    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

^ Preaching to choir i see?

I do miss the SunOS days some times....
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeBlitz View Post
                        Windows performs badly on an i7 and no, it doesn't get better as you subtract hardware.
                        I just finished building an used Windows 10 machine for someone. I found general browsing in Windows 10, latest edition, with chrome, ublock origin on an Intel E8500, 3GB DRAM acceptable.

On my "test" machine, it has the same E8500 configuration, but I run Lubuntu and I find for my purposes that is acceptable even in 2017.

So my expectation is that i7 should probably run way faster than a E8500?

When a page says "You're Using AdBlock, Please Disable It", just say "Good Call! No thanks!" and close that site because they suck: they want to play an ad on your browser that may very well install a virus because morons like MSN don't check those ads for malware.
                        You also have to worry about crypto miners now stealing your CPU cycles without consent. I have that blocked on my router running LEDE software and ublock origin.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ryptocurrency/

For sites that detect my ublock origin and display that disable adblock message, I just never visit that site again. There is very FEW original content today. Most sites are rehashing or simply cut and paste of material stolen from somewhere else.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          So my expectation is that i7 should probably run way faster than a E8500?
                          Moore's Law is over w/ regard to PC CPUs. A Rizen chip will buy very little noticeable performance over an old rusty 2700K Sandybridge. 50% tops, and that on stuff no one does.

The biggest bang for buck these days are the PCIe FLASH SSDs. Nothing will work with mechanical drives any more except backups. Why? Because you start your 40K .EXE program, it pulls in 400,000 200MB .DLLs spread all over the disk drive. A mech drive spends the next 30s to 2m seeking and waiting for the correct sector to stumble under the read head. Since that wastes so much memory, part of that has to be paged to disk (more seeking, waiting).

Microsoft took the concept behind shared libraries and decided that 'if shared libraries work in Usage Case A, just imagine if everything uses them!'. Forget that shared libraries only make sense if multiple programs will use the same library often enough to offset the performance hit.

Problem is, every OS retailer gives their dev crew the latest/greatest hardware, 10Gb Ethernet, and 802.11ac WiFi. They code for that, and they only optimize once performance suffers noticeably on an overpowered machine. Well, if performance suffers noticeably on a 6-core, 12-thread, 4GHz box, then just imagine what it will behave like on a 1.8GHz Socket-P laptop...

Microsoft: put me in charge of Windows development. I'll give my dev crew 486DXes with 4MB RAM and a 300 baud acoustic coupler running PPP. My crew will write software that makes every user smile every time they start their computer.

I'd do that, too, but I'm too comfortable where I am.
                          When testing electrolytic catzappers, you should always wear an OSHA approved safety squint.
                          - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

76.2939453125 TB of data to start a 40KB .exe? Seeking for two MINUTES? Oh come on, tell me about hyperbolizing?

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                              76.2939453125 TB of data to start a 40KB .exe? Seeking for two MINUTES? Oh come on, tell me about hyperbolizing?
                              For the quadrillionth time, I do NOT hyperbolize.
                              - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Oh, I see. Either one of those crazy "alternative" ppl, or some math genius with his own mathematics theory (so pretty much a crazy alternative person ).

Comment

Oddly related to OP: If anyone does mobile apps on the side, avoid those 'We Work On Android OR iOS' crap tools like Telerik.

If you have an app that seems ridiculously slow for what it's supposed to do, it's probably a Telerik or other JS-based app.

JavaScript has ruined everything. Why do I need to download, then cache, the entire Dojo v2.0.3.2.1.14.64.1 toolkit, just so a web site can display a pie chart of "Major Causes Of Web Performance Issues"?

Learn to use Chrome's builtin "Developer Tools". It will show you exactly why that page sucks roadkill mandrill butt.
                                  - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

^ You do realize the Dalvik VM Android uses IS essentially Java, right?

The DVM uses a register-based architecture that requires fewer and more complex instructions. Dalvik programs are written in Java using the AAPI (Android application programming interface), compiled to Java bytecode, and converted to Dalvik instructions as necessary.
                                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                      ^ You do realize the Dalvik VM Android uses IS essentially Java, right?

The DVM uses a register-based architecture that requires fewer and more complex instructions. Dalvik programs are written in Java using the AAPI (Android application programming interface), compiled to Java bytecode, and converted to Dalvik instructions as necessary.
                                      Uh huh. Java and JavaScript are two completely different things. Their only commonality is that they're both interpreted (byte compile requires an interpreter - the DVM).

So, you have byte-compiled Java, and a VM using that to outright interpret JavaScript. That's a guaranteed pig, no testing required. Don't believe me? Write a loop timer in JS that performs enough matrix multiplication to be quantifiable on a given HW device. Measure it accurately, to the microsecond. Write the same loop for Java and measure it (not bad!). Now, write the same loop for NDK and try to measure it. Can you guess why there's such a massive difference? That's what I'm on about.

JavaScript is great for prototyping. It's necessary for all those completely unnecessary transition effects that "responsive web sites" torture us with, and necessary for some interactive charting or graphic activities. But it's a pig. It will remain a pig until someone builds a computer with a pipelining JS coprocessor with dedicated RAM on a dedicated bus. I'm not going to hold my breath awaiting that marvel.

Just because a 4GHz processor makes a given task seem Really Fast does not mean that it is, in fact, not a pig.
                                      - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

JS is good for forms and other stuff. Think it was primarily intended for that some time ago.

On the other hand, Java is pretty poor beast as well. If phone CPUs did not have Java instructions for acceleration for some time now, it would still be unusable.

Comment

^ Yup. Thats why im glad Android moved to ART. ELF FTW!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X