Scepter x20WG-naga 2 seconds to black.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scepter x20WG-naga 2 seconds to black.

Hey everyone, read around the forums and everything, but due to my limited knowledge I figured I would probably need some help!
    I know the basics, how to solder/desolder and I know my parts pretty well, but I'm not very good at the troubleshooting part!

Anyway, onto the actual technical end of things:
    Recently my x20WG monitor just started going black for no reason, image was still visible with a flashlight or other (followed all these steps) and I don't know where to start. I took it apart (what a hassle) and now have the board out, and there are some burn spots on it. I have some pictures, hopefully of adequate quality.

Hope you can help!
    Attached Files

Re: Scepter x20WG-naga 2 seconds to black.

The Purple capacitpr on the right hand side ,standing on its own,looks 'bulged'at the top, and may well be the cause of your problem ??

Comment

It does appear a little bulged, what would be a good replacement 150 μF/25V capacitor?
      Rather, which company would you suggest as a replacement?
      Last edited by Halosheep; 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Change the green SamXon GF ones aswell

Comment

Originally posted by tron View Post
          Change the green SamXon GF ones aswell
          Yes, the Samxon GF are "known" bad series of caps.

Most recommend digikey.com and use Panasonic FR/FM or FC series. An example is provided (regulars may skip)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi,

I had the same problem with that monitor. That same cap was bulged.
            I substituted a 220 mf Panasonic FM series of the same voltage until I could get the correct value.
            My problem turned out to be a bad lamp.
            I have some spare lamps with plugs attached for testing. The monitor uses four bulbs and the bad one was number three.
            Good luck - hope your problem is only the capacitor.

Mike

Comment

Where are replacement lamps available from, if that is what my problem turns out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrlx View Post
                Where are replacement lamps available from, if that is what my problem turns out to be.
                I bought some from these guys once: http://myworld.ebay.com/plazmo_industries

Your problem could be something else though. You said in your other post you replaced all the capacitors already. Did you use high quality replacements with correct ESR? If not, they could be a problem too.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi,

I just ordered a lamp for that monitor from plazmo industries. The size I ordered is 2.4 mm x 445 mm. It might be 446 mm - tough to measure that tight.
                  Price was $8 + $4.99 shipping. Ordered it through their e-bay store.

Mike

Comment

The Sceptre monitor I have has a display panel from Optronics, model M201SP01, I located the Product Specifications for it, for those who are interested:

Comment

I was able to get back to the Scepter X20WG-NAGA to do further testing. The board was recapped and was functioning properly. Which lead me to believe that one or several of the CCFLs were sick and dying and would force the board on the monitor to over drive and then shutdown. While the CCFL fixtures were still mounted in place within the monitor, I used a separate single CCFL Inverter (I just happen to have one) to power the four CCFLs one at a time to determine which CCFL was bad. It turned out that two were okay (not the best), one was poor and one turned on red-orange.
                      I then disassembled the monitor, removed the CCFL fixtures and measured the CCFLs (length and diameter) for replacements.
                      Required: 4 - 2.4mm X 445mm
                      I replaced all four at the same time. For the small price of the CCFL it's better to just go all fresh.
                      Reassembled and powered up. Now the picture has beautiful crisp white and the colors are also more vibrant and crisp.
                      CCFLs were purchased from:

Plazmo Industries, Inc
                      7735 S. 134th St., Ste 101
                      Omaha, NE. 68138-3717

Comment

Looks like you've done well

Next to crap caps, it seems crap lamps are the biggest problem with LCDs.

badlamps.com anyone?
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                        X