Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feeding SSDs from +5VSB for outage data corruption safety

or just not use a ssd
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      No, he could be right. Most 5VSB uses a simple flyback, which can typically operate over a very wide range. The main switcher won't work beyond about 20% of rated voltage.

So it's sort of like an early warning ac detect because the main rails collapse before standby.
      I was testing a PSU last week and noticed that this is indeed true.

I had one light bulb on the 5VSB line drawing about 0.5W to 1W, one light bulb on the 5V rail drawing about 5W, and another on the 12V rail drawing about 20W. Also had an HDD hooked up (rated for about 600 mA on the 5V rail and 350 mA on the 12V rail).
      When I flipped the switch on the back of the PSU while it was on, the main power stayed on for about a second and the 5VSB for at least another second after main power supply turned off.
      This was on a 250W LiteON PSU from a Dell PC.

So I think it is possible.

Originally posted by goontron
      or just not use a ssd
      That's why I hide in a cave under a heavy rock. Never have to deal with any such problems, you know .
      Last edited by momaka; 01-13-2014, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        That's why I hide in a cave under a heavy rock. Never have to deal with any such problems, you know .
        well actually me and another Linux tech by the name pete were talking about the life of an SSD and how if you do stuff like compile from code ( usually 200+ mb ) you get some stupid amounts of writhe cycles that could cut the life of the SSD in half or more...
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

That has "ram drive" written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            That has "ram drive" written all over it.
            and what about VMs? that's usually 3+ OSes plus the host! wheres your answer for that?????
            Last edited by goontron; 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              Or just not buy crappy SSDs.
              Originally posted by goontron View Post
              or just not use a ssd
              Well as a matter of fact they aren't precisely fragile:

It's just the occasional nuisance of data loss (which spinners can also suffer under outages).
              Attached Files

Comment

Curiously Intel uses just a couple good ole lytics in its SSD DC S3500 Enterprise:

They're 35V, why such a high voltage rating?

Comment

ESR, peak currents, longer lifetime etc etc

Comment

Possibly charge them to ~30V then buck down to 12V though seems wasteful a similar thing is done in airbag computers for cars... in an accident the battery might be destroyed so they need a temporary supply to fire the airbags.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

47uf (even if both of them are connected in parallel) is not going to give much of the hold up time.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

~100uF at 30V is 90mJ of energy. That's enough to supply 1 watt for 90ms, etc... if these SSDs use about 2 watts it gives a tiny amount of time to flush data--they had better be fast!
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The SSD I have says 0.071W while active (0.046W idle). No idea how accurate that is.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                            ... Try a Schottky diode (low Vf), to isolate the drive's power, and large electro across the 5V feed to the drive.
                            A problem with this approach is than even the best Schottky diode will drop voltage at least ~0.3V. That would lower the +5V feeding for the SSD below ATX spec (5-0.3 = 4.7V).

Comment

If you design that into your product, that is fine. But you could also look at what the 5V is used for. I'd take a guess that 90% of SSDs will immediately regulate it to 3.3V or 1.8V, or whatever internal voltage they use, so as long as that is in regulation everything will be OK.

Comment

^ You're right Tom:

... typically, in an SSD the NAND flash is powered at 1.8 V (or sometimes 3.3 V), the SDRAM is powered at 3.3 V, and the controller is at ~1.2 V (although sometimes this may also be at 3.3 or 1.8 V) ...

http://www.electronicproducts.com/Pa...kup_power.aspx

(Warning - potential stupidity ahead ): I have four 6.3V 3300uF Panny MBZs (13.2mF total) and a STPS1545CT Schottky rectifier, all bored and looking for trouble. Would a concoction like this make sense?:

Attached Files

Comment

Should work fine. Can't see anything obviously wrong, at least.

Comment

Other than the inrush at the start (a few amps on 5v) no problem.

But also don't see the point of the diode there, unless the voltage in molex comes from 5v standby.

Comment

ok.... so where will the command to flush the cash to the disk come from?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

What you could do is "OR" the standby voltage into to provide extra hold-up, just connect other leg of diode to 5VSTB, you could have a whole second extra hold-up time.
                                        The diode will essentially select the highest of the two voltages and draw current from that.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                          But also don't see the point of the diode there, unless the voltage in molex comes from 5v standby.
                                          I think the idea was to make sure the caps feed only the SSD, and that they do not feed power back into the PSU and other components.
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X