Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCEPTRE x22wg-Gamer - NO DVI (Factory Repaired Once)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCEPTRE x22wg-Gamer - NO DVI (Factory Repaired Once)

Hello,

I have read the previous threads and wanted to see get some feedback on my situation. I took my x22wg directly to Sceptre a couple years ago due to a power supply failure. No blue light at all. They repaired it free of charge after the warranty expired. I was pleased but a new problem has arisen. Now I have power but no DVI input. Strangely, it came back for a day but has since resumed with the "no signal" message.

I opened my unit, removed the power board and examined the caps. Pictures are attached. It appears that the factory replaced 4-470uf capXons. When I flip the board over you can see evidence of previous soldering.

To my eye, none of the capacitor look "puffy" or damaged. Am I advised to replace these 4 again, or replace all of them including the other 3 that weren't replaced originally?

Also, is it worth my effort to remove the other board (the one where all the inputs go) and check it for bad capacitors?

Forgive me if I've missed something from a previous thread.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: SCEPTRE x22wg-Gamer - NO DVI (Factory Repaired Once)

Are you able to try another monitor on the pc
    Are you able to try the monitor on another pc

If neither remove the dvi cable and clean is as best you can and try again.
    Does the pc recognise the monitor.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I have two DVI monitors on the PC. What I did was I swapped the connections so the good monitor (Mac Studio Display) had the cable previously feeding the Sceptre. I got a picture on the Mac Studio Display ao I assume the cable is good.

I also tried a different input on the Sceptre -- the HDMI -- and still got "no signal."

I was not able to try the Sceptre on another computer.

Comment

Can you try the sceptre on the cable feedng the monitor that works
        Does the pc recognise it is connected.

If windows - control panel - system- hardware- device manager-monitors
        EDIT
        I am off to bed now, these tests may seem a bit petty but No Signal quite often means
        a problem with the PC, Graphics card or cabling so its bets to try and eliminate those
        first - another test would be to make sure you have rebooted the PC preferable leaving it of for a few minutes.

Anyway if all that is good then can you see if the on screen menu comes up.

As you have a "No signal" message and I am assuming here that is stays on for more than 2-5 seconds then the back lights are working.
        If the back lights are working and the power light stays green then it look loke the power
        supply is ok. So the problem is most likely to be the main board so in answer to a previous
        comment you will need to take that off and post good clear pictures. There may be caps on there that have gone or voltage regulators to test.
        If it is currently all together you may want to wait to see if anyone suggests any other tests
        before you take it apart again
        Last edited by selldoor; 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

My video card has two DVI outputs. I swapped connections on the monitors so the Mac monitor received the video card output that resulted in "no signal" on the Sceptre and successfully got picture. So I believe that should rule out a bad output from the video card.

Then I took the other cable and connected it to the DVI input on an Acer monitor and also got picture. Based on these tests it seems I have a good video card and good cables.

To use a shotgun approach, I replaced all the capacitors on the power board. The Sceptre still says "no signal."

Attached are photos of the other board. I don't see any puffy capacitors. Anybody have other ideas?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by RidleyRabbit; 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

If it helps any, Sceptre added a small heatsink to the Pericom HDMI chip near the port in later revisions which may be telling.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Whilst this relates to viewsonic monitor it may apply to yours also - corrupt EDID
              http://blog.komeil.com/2008/06/fixin...no-signal.html

Comment

Is it just me or is one of those green caps looking bulged?
                Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

SH - post 5 - "replaced all caps on power board"

RR You could try taking that brown chip out and starting the board
                  to see what happens. Then replace it and see what happens.
                  I think it is some sort of eeprom.

Comment

Don't pull the brown chip, that's the processor.

With an ESR meter, you could check the capacitors on the digital board. They do fail sometimes, and can go bad without bulging.

Comment

Originally posted by jsog View Post
                      Don't pull the brown chip, that's the processor.

Are you sure ? looks like a Bios chip to me which is programable which makes it nearer an eprom than a processor?

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                        Are you sure ? looks like a Bios chip to me which is programable which makes it nearer an eprom than a processor?
                        Usually tvs/monitors use an 8-pin eeprom chip. It is probably one or both of those chips between the socketed chip and the blue (vga?) connector.

I wonder though what the big chip in the middle does, or is this a combined mainboard/tcon unit?
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I don't see any green caps.

Comment

This monitor is going in the trash. I'm looking for a good deal on a 22 or 23

Comment

If you are going to trash it you could offer it on Freecycle - someone might be able to use it?

Comment

Working...
                              X