• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No boot issue....silly antec

Originally posted by ratdude747
    ok, so pick a bank for me to rob. no money= no money

One for every occasion!

Anyways, heres what you do, get people to give you their old computers, reinstall a os of your choice, sell on craigslist to suckers for $75 each.
    Attached Files

Comment

LOL @ the cat.

I say ditch the Smartpower. Place it in the round file and forget about it. Get one of those 550w AcBel units, scavenge the PCI-E power connector from the Smartpower, and solder it onto the AcBel. You now have a nice 550w unit for not a lot of money.

After having recapped quite a few Smartpower's, I now don't trust them anymore. They will work fine with a recap for quite a while, but almost every one has come back. Most with high +12v voltage, approaching 12.6v, with low 5v. With $20 AcBel's out there, why mess with it?
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

no jobs heree in west lafayette. all taken. too bad the only computer shops hiring are dipshits who make money by using practices like:

-confuse the customer and talk them out of buy useless crao

-bait and switch

- jacked up prices

-selling shit like powmax, deer, a-power, etc.

they probably require a hs diploma as well.

and burger joints are not hiring since people cannot afford to retire until they are 85. and that half of the jobs went to asia so adults have to work where teens like me were supposed to.

is it a good idea to buy used deltas, etc? i got a 350w one at the local shop for 30 bux. i custom wired it to fit an emachines t5026 case (had to replace the bestec bomb)

i dont do craigslist. too easy to get mugged. what i have been doing is collecting peoples old stuff and using it.
        Last edited by ratdude747; 08-05-2009, 04:13 PM.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

sigpic

Comment

So start your own computer outfit. You can beat 'em on quality if you know what you're doing. Works for me.

Comment

im a freaking teenager. i don't think my house is prsentable enoughto have people come in and out for repairs.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                Hmmm... fine for those of us who are set-up and stocked for such things.

Speaking novice/n00b here.
                - Learning how to get the caps out without destroying the foil traces or the ones that are double sided.
                - equipment
                - researching parts online
                - time spent here asking questions and researching
                - not finding that whacko-sized 3300uF cap at 25mm x 8mm that was shoe-horned in to begin with
                - more research
                - ordering from 2 different sources

...ad nauseum

By the time you're done, you've chewed up a considerable amount of your time.

I'm still hungry....!

Toast

ROFLOL Toasty!

But THAT'S ALL THE FUN!

You know you love it.

Have Fun,
                Keri

PS. He's lucky.... getting to flip burgers and all. That's way better than stocking shelves, janitorial duty, delivering prescriptions (in Chicago!) or (and this is the killer) selling greeting cards door-to-door with your sister to have a mail-order prize sent in return. Which you then have to share.
                The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                  im a freaking teenager. i don't think my house is prsentable enoughto have people come in and out for repairs.
                  Mine isn't either. That's why I go there, and if necessary bring it back for repairs. Then when done either they pick it up or more often I take it back.

Can you drive yet?

Comment

i am driving age but with no permit or liscence. i saw no point in paying for drivers ed if the chance of me having access to a car when i need it being .001%. we have 2 cars but they are almost always in use. we had a 3rd but it rusted to death so dad took what was supposed to be mine.

i do get jobs now and then but usually make nothing off of it other than friends aand future references. i dunno how i could market my skills without getting dinged for having no business license. if i could then i would have something.

i would prefer to work at an established shop first so i would have access to the stuff needed to really do my best work.

i might start a new thread on this so if i do i will post about it.
                    sigpic

Comment

well I got the computer back working - one time I booted it up with a hard drive plugged in, just to see what would happen, and it turned itself off after about 30 seconds. I felt the CPU heatsink and it was hot. So I took the mobo out (again) and took off the cpu heatsink. The only place it was making contact with the CPU was around the very edges...NOT GOOD! So I took out the CPU to inspect it and it's socket, and they were both fine. Then I put it back in, scraped off all the old foam crap from the old backplates, and put on a larger than usual glob of arctic silver. Shoved the heatsink back in, hooked it up to my logisys, and it booted! Yay! I'm not going to let him run it though until he either lets me fix his power supply, or gets a new one.

Speaking of which, what should I say in the RMA request to antec? I know taking the cover off voids the warranty, so I'm wary of doing that....What have other people said that has been accepted? I'm sure my brother would rather get a new one for free than have to spend 80 or 100 MORE dollars....

Comment

dont rma it if you did that to it. you broke the seal so you pretty much need to recap or get another.
                        sigpic

Comment

Why should he not RMA it? Worth a try.

If RMA doesn't work out, get him one of these:
                          http://www.hypermicro.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PSAB001

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                            well I got the computer back working - one time I booted it up with a hard drive plugged in, just to see what would happen, and it turned itself off after about 30 seconds. I felt the CPU heatsink and it was hot. So I took the mobo out (again) and took off the cpu heatsink. The only place it was making contact with the CPU was around the very edges...NOT GOOD! So I took out the CPU to inspect it and it's socket, and they were both fine. Then I put it back in, scraped off all the old foam crap from the old backplates, and put on a larger than usual glob of arctic silver. Shoved the heatsink back in, hooked it up to my logisys, and it booted! Yay! I'm not going to let him run it though until he either lets me fix his power supply, or gets a new one.

Speaking of which, what should I say in the RMA request to antec? I know taking the cover off voids the warranty, so I'm wary of doing that....What have other people said that has been accepted? I'm sure my brother would rather get a new one for free than have to spend 80 or 100 MORE dollars....
                            Congratulations!

You might just send it to them and not say anything. Then deny any knowledge of tampering if asked. Or say a computer tech at xyz computers told you it was bad and you don't know anything about the cover being removed but they might have done it. Personally, i would point out that it is still clearly a defect in manufacturing and removing the cover did not cause it to fail. Be bold.
                            If you can dig up a receipt for it and it's still in the warranty period they might just do it. Complaining a lot often helps when dealing with large companies.

Good luck,
                            Keri
                            The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

but what if they reject the submission and never send the old one back?
                              sigpic

Comment

The link toasty provided takes me to a page where I can fill out an online RMA request. It has a box where I have to describe the problem, and I'm wondering what I should say

Comment

say this

computer failed to post. posted with another power supply. tested on a few other known working boards and was finicky. would work one some and not on the others. the other power supply worked on all of the boards.
                                  sigpic

Comment

yes, i know my english was bad there. i was typing what came to my mind. does that sound ok?
                                    sigpic

Comment

Just tell them computer fails to boot with that PSU, but works fine with a known good PSU. As for the warranty sticker being broken, who cares? I doubt they're gonna notice it on units waaay past warranty that are heading straight for the trash. Take off the sticker and rub all the residue off.

Comment

"Warranty sticker was damaged removing unit from case." It really was on mine because the Sonata (Antec) case is extremely tight quarters for the PSU.

Mine was damaged - torn in half with a piece missing. Got the new unit, EA-500D, and my money back except for the return shipping.

They KNOW they had/have a problem with these units. They really don't question the returns.

Or, just get the Acbel that weirdlookinguy pointed to and roundfile the Antec.

Toast
                                        veritas odium parit

Comment

i hope they dont run out of acbels because i need one and have yet to order it. my mom has chores for me to do before i get it.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X