X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No boot issue....silly antec

I just ordered 2...

Better hurry!!! Only 1,519 left !!!!!

Last edited by Toasty; 08-06-2009, 02:11 AM.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Congratulations on that overbuilt workhorse of a TANK you just ordered!

Comment

Got the 2 AcBel's today. TANK is a good term. Brick s**t house is better.

Suckers are damn near 5 pounds. WOW! a double stacked board PSU.

However, I am a bit dismayed because the output caps are OST RLS 10x25mm series. 14 of them!! Assorted 2200uF@16v (size not listed on OST's spec sheet) and 3300uF@10v. All are date coded 0526 thru 0531.

Other assorted caps (about 10) are JPce-TUR date 0502.

EMI input filter is an all-in-one made by YUNPEN, YA10P. Mains socket, X & Y caps and chokes in a sealed metal case. Rated 125/250v @ 10A.

UL file number is E131875 - ACBEL POLYTECH INC
        Boards are E169497 - PLOTECH CO LTD
        Holographic sticker - CCC S&E in oval

Voltage tests are spot on. 3.35v, 5.08v, & 12.03v

Since this is an EPS PSU, using it on older systems will require an adapter from the PSU's EPS 8 pin female to the Mobo's ATX12V1 4 pin male CPU connector.

You could split the 8 pin connector with a razor saw. Or, some systems may have enough clearance to the right (looking from top with latch clip down) of the 4 pin connector to allow the EPS connector to be used un-modified.

You could also build your own. A quick Google found an adapter here: http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1018

Fortunately, both older systems I bought them for have clearance at those plugs so I can use the PSU's as is. They are replacing Antec SP350's of c.2003 vintage. I'm not having any known problems with the Antec's, but for brand new @ <$23 each with shipping, I can't go too far astray.

Thanks for the tipoff, weirdlookinguy!

Toast
        Last edited by Toasty; 08-10-2009, 04:38 PM.
        veritas odium parit

Comment

I stripped a leadman made rosewill value series 300W of its 4 pin cpu connector and just select 2 of the positives and 2 of the negatives of the 8 pin and strip about 1/2" of shielding off, fold the wire in half, cram in into the selected pins on the 8 pin, and hot glue them in place. Makes a good temporary hold until you get a adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
            I stripped a leadman made rosewill value series 300W of its 4 pin cpu connector and just select 2 of the positives and 2 of the negatives of the 8 pin and strip about 1/2" of shielding off, fold the wire in half, cram in into the selected pins on the 8 pin, and hot glue them in place. Makes a good temporary hold until you get a adapter.
            why not run the leads inside the psu and solder them to the board?

Comment

370forlife. Bad idea. Fire possible and scorched more likely and noise too.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I've never gotten the connector hot, then again I've only done it about once or twice for about 10 minutes just to see if the motherboard will boot up as there is the possibility that it could short, make poor contact, etc...

But then again I've checked the voltage on the 4 pin coming from the 8 pin using this method on a rosewill 500W, 11.85v at the 8 pin, 11.85v at the 4 pin, don't know about noise though, don't have a oscilloscope, just a slow dmm.

Comment

There's empty holes on the PCB on each rail in the AcBel, so you could probably scavenge the 4-pin connector and wiring from a different PSU if you really wanted to. Or order the connector and pins from the Molex sample program like I did for my PCI-E power connectors.
                  A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

OK I submitted a request to antec for an RMA, and they said I need to find the invoice from when my brother bought it....yeah right, like he knows where that is....so he told me I could recap it, so I ordered some stuff from digikey. Should be coming in tomorrow or the next day...I'll have details (and pictures) once it's done

and HOLY COW! I ordered the stuff from digikey at 6:29pm, and got the email that it had shipped at 7:18pm the same day! That's why they're my favorite

Comment

well, I recapped it, and started a thread over in the power supply section, because it actually belongs there. All the details are there. Also, I'd like to say that digikey is the best. I order parts on tuesday evening. They ship tuesday night, and are in my front door on thursday when I get home from work! And that was just with USPS priority mail...

Comment

Good to hear it went well.

I didn't want to start a whole other thread for this, so I'll just put it here. I made a new discovery about those 550W AcBels a few of us on here have.

They won't start if the fan is blocked/can't spin for some reason . These things are loaded out the wazoo with protection circuits!

Comment

thanks for reminding me to order 1 or 2 of those beasts. very nice.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                          X