Stumped on this Acer 6530G - dead motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped on this Acer 6530G - dead motherboard

I'm in the process of repairing an Acer 6530G motherboard (DA0ZK3MB6F0 Rev:F). This is one of many defective laptops / laptop parts I'm attempting the repair of to further my electronics troubleshooting skills.
    For this one, I have the appropriate schematic which got me pretty far in troubleshooting, but not all the way.

I have attached the schematic to this post.

Here's where I'm at.

+5VPCU and +3VPCU lines are okay.
    I figured out that NBSWON should have 3V without pressing the power button. NBSWON comes from the SIO chip U7 pin number 95, but that voltaghe was absent in this laptop. I decided to replace the SIO chip (U7). After that, NBSWON is 3.3V as it should be. Next, I decided to check the BIOS chip (U25) with my oscilloscope. It's showing some weirdness:

Pin 1 CE (SPI_CS0_uR) - between 0 and 3V, very noisy on the scope
    Pin 2 SO (SPI_SCK_uR) - between 0 and 3V, very noisy on the scope
    Pin 3, 7 and 8 (+3VPCU) - 3.3V - smooth on scope
    Pin 4 VSS - GND
    Pin 5 SI (SPI_SDO_uR) - 0V with occasional spikes to 3.3V
    Pin 6 SCK (SPI_SCK_uR)- Between 0 and 3.3V, very noisy on the scope as well

Seeing the spikey voltages from the BIOS chip, my assumption was that the BIOS chip is bad, so I took an identical chip from another 6530G motherboard and ended up with the same readings. I figured I should be seeing at least a stable RAM voltage coming from one of these pins.
    Perhaps both BIOS chips are bad, however I did desolder one and was able to write to it successfully with an eeprom programmer. That probably wouldn't work with a defective chip, right? They normally throw an error when I try to do that.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I've checked to make sure every pin of the SIO chip is properly soldered, and they all are. Is the problem in the Bios chip, the SIO chip or might it be elsewhere?

Any help would, as usual, be quite welcome!
    Attached Files

Re: Stumped on this Acer 6530G - dead motherboard

Hello Atomdesign

On PU11 you need to check:
    Pin 13 = 3v

SIO you´ll need to check:
    VCC PINS = 19, 46, 76, 88, 115 and 102
    Crystal = 32.768KHZ
    Pin 122 = 3v
    Pin 95 = 3v
    Pin 74 = 3v
    Pin 26 S5_ON = 3v

If pin 26 is with 3v then check:
    PQ47
    PQ39
    PU7

Post the result

Comment

Thanks for your post Claudio, I have a few busy days ahead of me but will post back on wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Silva View Post
        Hello Atomdesign
        Pin 122 = 3v
        Pin 95 = 3v
        Pin 74 = 3v
        Pin 26 S5_ON = 3v
        Post the result
        do you know what happens if one of those its missing?
        whats the problem
        i saw NBSWON#(feedback from NB? )

PWROK_EC (KBC power ok;like feedback its working?)

KBRST(RCIN#) ?

S5_ON first stage on?
        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Reporting back with my measurements:

PU11
          Pin 13 = 3v OK

SIO you´ll need to check:
          VCC PINS = 19, 46, 76, 88, 115 and 102 ALL OK
          Crystal = 32.768KHZ - I checked the nearby testpoint with my scope and got a nice round wave. Would that mean its functional?
          Pin 122 = 3v measured 0V
          Pin 95 = 3v OK
          Pin 74 = 3v measured 0V
          Pin 26 S5_ON = 3v measured 0V

The pins missing voltage are:

KBRST (122), PWROK_EC_uR (74) and S5_ON(26)

I tried hitting the power button while measuring those pins, but there was no change.

Sadly I don't know quite enough about motherboard schematics to know what these pins represent.

Comment

RS780 NB. I will start with heat it to 100c an check for image. but S5 comes from EC so there can be problem
            Last edited by ktmmotocross; 04-29-2015, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
              RS780 NB. I will start with heat it to 100c an check for image. but S5 comes from EC so there can be problem
              Bear with me here, I'm trying to learn, not so much just repair the motherboard. (But it would be nice if I could do that as well)

The SIO chip (u7 in this case) requires a voltage on certain pins before it will output voltages on KBRST (122), PWROK_EC_uR (74) and S5_ON(26)

In a tutorial I watched, I learned that an SIO chip will turn on the BIOS chip as long as it has:
              1. +3V on its VCC pins
              2. a functional crystal
              3. voltage on the EC_RST pin, which I think corresponds to the KBRST pin 122 in this schematic.

VCC pin voltage 1 is there, and I think the crystal is working as well (based on my scope check which showed a round waveform).
              KBRST voltage is missing. I tried supplying 3.3V to the KBRST pin, but that doesn't change the messy voltage on the BIOS chip pins.

I also tried applying 3.3V to pin 74 (PWR_OK_EC_uR), but that doesn't result in a voltage on pin 122 either. Should it?

Comment

try to inject S5 singnal, but first check resistance to ground on that pin

Comment

Resistance to ground at Pin 26 (S5_ON) is 13 Ohm. I fed it 3.3V but that didn't result in a change on pin 74 or 122

Comment

thank u

Comment

Hello dear forum members!

i have an amilo li laptop and i accidently shorted an Ic on the mobo ,there's no 3VPCU on NBSWON and i traced the short to pu9 Ic .i circled the shorted pin ,and attached a screenshot from it and also attached the entire datasheet of my mobo.I absolutely sure about this ,but i want to ask ,can I bridge a 3 volt source from elswhere on the motherboard to the Pu9's defective pin, and i have the nbswon working again?( I bridged a defective laptop lcd backlight circuit and it's worked ,that's why I asking it) Or i must buy this Ic from aliexpress?
                      Attached Files

Comment

No this is the charger IC. If it's bad the computer wont turn on, replace it. The EC needs to see a working AC adapter (reported by the charger IC on the ACIN pin) to release RSMRST# AFAIK. If you're on battery, the charger IC needs to work too to alow the current to flow from the battery to the system.
                        Maybe it can work without it but I don't think so, the best idea is to replace it.
                        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

hi friends i need bios and ec backup

Comment

Da0zk3mb6f0 rev:f

Comment

Working...
                            X