Analog meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Analog meter

"as Jestine Yong states on his smps ebook." can you please tell us what it said?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

In that book you see him clearly specifying to do perform the measurements with an analog meter all the time. Also I've heard it before that they are more sensible and you can better understand something by the reaction of the indicator.

Anyways this is from his testing electronics components ebook.

"From my experience in the electronic troubleshooting field, I discovered that testing diodes using an analog multimeter is more accurate or precise than using a digital multimeter. I could explain to you in details why I prefer analog meters...I really came across quite a number of diodes that tested ok with a DMM but failed with an analog MM....."

For capacitance and voltage readings he does states that a digital meter is more suited.

"Many technicians and engineers dont know that they can actually test the optocouple with their analogue multimeter. Most of them think that there is no way of testing an IC with an analogue meter. Since we already know the optocouple pin out from the datasheet, testing this IC is just the same as measuring a normal bipolar transistor and LED"

"I do not encourage testing a transistor with a digital meter as I've encountered many times that a transistor tests good with a DMM but failed using the analogue meter".

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
        Oops! You are correct. I have no clue about the 117.
        NOTHING gets by Retiredcaps re: multimeters.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Found a used Avo 8 mark 3 on ebay and took the plunge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Av...item1e75a901c5

Wishing myself best of luck!

Comment

It go away for US $45.99

What is your budget? Those meters does not come dirt cheap.

Comment

I like an analog for hunting intermittent issues.

I'm still using a Radio Shack 22-215 from the 90's.

Comment

Well I do not wish to scare anyone

But this is my BBC Metrawatt MA4S (industrial version 80s)
                Which jumps high even at 10KHz regarding volt measurement.
                But they can be found only at the German eBay.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                  It go away for US $45.99

What is your budget? Those meters does not come dirt cheap.
                  Yeah it was me who bought it, plus shipping it came out to around $66.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                    Yeah it was me who bought it, plus shipping it came out to around $66.
                    The feedback for the seller doesn't look all that great and there is no description at all on the AVO.

I suggest that when you get it, you test it thoroughly immediately. Some sellers only give you a 3 day return policy so you need to do some research now on how to test and use it properly.

I have purchased used multimeters from ebay sellers who list it as used or working perfectly only to find a number of problems.

I just spent days working/fixing a Fluke that was listed as used, but in working condition. I got it in DOA condition. Seller admitted he got it at estate sale and didn't even try to power it on.

The forum that I linked in post #18 may contain some good AVO information. While I don't have any analog multimeters, I have spent a little bit of time on that forum and I like it. The regulars/people there use periods, paragraphs, punctuation, spelling, proper grammar, no inline images and all seem very helpful.

If I ever get an analog Simpson or AVO, I would spend a lot of time over there. Hmm.....
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-06-2013, 03:14 AM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you.
                      I saw your link and spent a few minutes on that forum before I started searching for the Avo.

Yeah I'm taking my chances here but at least I'll have ebay's buyer protection.

I looked at the guy's other auctions and he has lots of other old used stuff so it seems this is what he does and everything looks alright.
                      It's always taking chances when it comes to buying used things.
                      Also I can understand how having a better rating on ebay can be more difficult when you're selling used stuff.

As i said before, wishing myself good luck

Comment

Thank you.
                        As i said before, wishing myself good luck
                        I think that you will have it, not much can go wrong in the analog world.

Comment

Thank you Kiriakos GR.

Comment

Hi guys,
                            I got the meter last week and I'm pleased finally after getting familiar with it and doing battery tweaks etc.

The one thing I'm wondering is about the ohms ranges. It has 0 ohm, ohm x100and ohms /100.

Think I understand the the 0 ohms range right but what are the other two ranges for?

Regards,
                            Last edited by Beowulf; 01-19-2013, 12:50 AM.

Comment

It is nice that you got your used car, and here is the steering wheel.

http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/09)_Mis.../Avo_8_Mk3.pdf

Comment

Thanks for taking the time Kiriakos. Yeah I already had a copy of the user's manual. I'll take another look to see if it gets to me after a second read.

Comment

Hi guys,
                                  I got the meter last week and I'm pleased finally after getting familiar with it and doing battery tweaks etc.

The one thing I'm wondering is about the ohms ranges. It has 0 ohm, ohm x100and ohms /100.

Think I understand the the 0 ohms range right but what are the other two ranges for?

Regards,
                                  The X100 and /100 positions are used to multiply or divide the scale reading.

On the Ohms setting, the mid scale reads 2k Ohms. On the X100 setting, the mid scale reading would be 200k Ohms, and on the /100 setting, the mid scale reading would be 20 Ohms. This is how the meter is able to cover the range 0.5 Ohms to 20M Ohms.

I used to use AVO's every day at my workplace, mainly Mk IV's. Very hard to break, considering the number if times I would cause the cut-out to pop up!
                                  Last edited by Radio Fox; 01-25-2013, 05:18 AM.
                                  ________________________________________________

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
                                  Bright antennae bristle with the energy
                                  ________________________________________________

Comment

Thanks @radio fox.
                                    Yeah I'm glad I bought one.

Comment

Working...
                                    X