Dude what the f**k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude what the f**k?

Someone gave me an old Gateway desktop, had a dead HDD. Manufacture date of October 1998, it has a slot (not socket) Celeron-A Mendocino 333 and 192mb of RAM. This thing came from a smoker's house, and it was DISGUSTING. The insides were so caked with dirt, I couldn't even make out what kind of caps were on the motherboard. Following topcat's suggestion, I sprayed down the motherboard, fans, and PSU board with orange degreaser (couldn't find any mean green) and then blasted them with hot water several times. Threw everything in the oven @ 120F for 6 minutes, then let it sit in my room for a week. Scrubbed the shit out of the case with some CLR, put some oil on the fans, threw everything back together, popped a 10GB Seagate drive I had laying around in it and gave it a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 and....

damn thing is fast as hell!

I mean I'm not even kidding, this thing is more than just usable! I'm browsing the web with it and it's not aggravating the way most older computers are. I've used older Pentium 4 machines that couldn't touch the speed of this thing on a clean install of XP, with literally 6 times the processor speed and well over twice the RAM. This thing even plays back DVDs OK! I'm not even kidding you guys, this old ass Celeron 333 is giving my Pentium 4 2.4Ghz w/ 1GB of RAM downstairs a run for its money in terms of responsiveness.

According to Everest, the Northbridge is an Intel 82443LX and the Southbridge is a 82371EB/PIIX4E. Is this like a really good chipset or something?

Re: Dude what the f**k?

Fresh install + no fancy porky video drivers.

LX was significant for it's time and even made in into dual CPU servers but it wasn't around long before BX replaced it.
    There was also a ZX about then that mostly showed up in laptops and was a gutless wonder. [Or lack there of.]
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Is it a giant grey tower, and the front is curved (like this http://www.smartcomputing.com/images...b/00205931.jpg)

Because my friend had one in his room for the longest time, and we got it on his DSL when he got it, and it was surprisingly fast. Only had 128mb of ram, and a 233mhz pentium 2 (it called it a pentium pro) It had some video card that was only 4mb, but it played red alert2 nicely. It always made me laugh, the little heatsink on the video card was a bent piece of metal.

Comment

Nope, looks pretty close to this:
        http://www.svas.com/computers/gateway_e-4200.jpg

Anyway I know all computers run OK on a fresh install, but this one runs much better, clean, than the last machine I wiped, a 1.8Ghz P4 Dell did on a fresh install. Even now that I've loaded Firefox and Office, it still runs nice.

Comment

http://www.benchtest.com/celeron.html

Comment

Wow.. Spraying degreaser on a motherboard and putting it in the oven? Seriously? Is the purpose of the oven to weed out bad caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Yatti420
              Is the purpose of the oven to weed out bad caps?
              To dry water from under IC chips and out of sockets.

Instead of an oven I flush board with isopropyl alcohol from a squirt bottle then put in a warm place with fan blowing on it for a day or so.

Isopropyl alcohol captures water and evaporates easily taking the water with it.

I guess one could go , isopropyl alcohol -> oven ..... but not the best idea if you have a gas oven.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

We used Isopropyl alcohol that way when I was in the Navy.
                Once in a while pipes or valves break and electronics gets drenched with sea water.
                Flush boards with pure water first to get salt off then with isopropyl to get water off.
                [Potable water would work but we had demineralized water so we'd use it.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                  Someone gave me an old Gateway desktop, had a dead HDD. Manufacture date of October 1998, it has a slot (not socket) Celeron-A Mendocino 333 and 192mb of RAM. This thing came from a smoker's house, and it was DISGUSTING. The insides were so caked with dirt, I couldn't even make out what kind of caps were on the motherboard. Following topcat's suggestion, I sprayed down the motherboard, fans, and PSU board with orange degreaser (couldn't find any mean green) and then blasted them with hot water several times. Threw everything in the oven @ 120F for 6 minutes, then let it sit in my room for a week. Scrubbed the shit out of the case with some CLR, put some oil on the fans, threw everything back together, popped a 10GB Seagate drive I had laying around in it and gave it a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 and....

damn thing is fast as hell!

I mean I'm not even kidding, this thing is more than just usable! I'm browsing the web with it and it's not aggravating the way most older computers are. I've used older Pentium 4 machines that couldn't touch the speed of this thing on a clean install of XP, with literally 6 times the processor speed and well over twice the RAM. This thing even plays back DVDs OK! I'm not even kidding you guys, this old ass Celeron 333 is giving my Pentium 4 2.4Ghz w/ 1GB of RAM downstairs a run for its money in terms of responsiveness.

According to Everest, the Northbridge is an Intel 82443LX and the Southbridge is a 82371EB/PIIX4E. Is this like a really good chipset or something?
                  there is a reason boards like the bp6 are still coming in for recapping.
                  as you found they still do ok if not loaded down with bloatware.

Comment

i have a totally disgusting vp6 in for recapping.
                    it and a bottle of simple green are waiting at the sink

Comment

Hey, what do you guys think about washing fans? Is it safe?

I washed the only fan in this computer, the PSU fan, the same way I washed everything else.

Afterwards, I put a drop of SAE 10w-40 on it, sealed the label with hot glue so dust and other crap won't get into the spot where you oil it, and it's been running fine for about 16 hours now. Is it gonna be fine or is it at risk for seizing up and taking out the PSU later on? It's a nice Astec unit with all Japcaps and I'd rather not see it go...

Comment

The gap on the other side of the fan blade from the sticker will let water into the motor windings.
                        If it didn't short and burn already then it probably won't.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

I take old junk computer fans and hook them up to a 9v, and they run just fine under water, they just pump the water.

The only fan to not run underwater I had was a San Ace, but that was some short protection or something, as it worked fine when you took it out of the water.

Comment

I figured, but I needed a second opinion. Thanks guys.

On this old, BX-based 450Mhz P3 machine my friend just gave me yesterday, the (very dirty) HSF fan was rattling and squeaking. Hot wash, quick dry in the toaster over, and a drop of 10w-40... now it runs good as new!

I'm starting to like this hot wash method... Thank you topcat for your excellent tutorial thread that got me started on using this process!

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                              I take old junk computer fans and hook them up to a 9v, and they run just fine under water, they just pump the water.

The only fan to not run underwater I had was a San Ace, but that was some short protection or something, as it worked fine when you took it out of the water.
                              So the only one that didn't work is the one with protective safety features and therefore wetting the windings is okay.

Good thinkin'!!
                              - Going into management?

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                So the only one that didn't work is the one with protective safety features and therefore wetting the windings is okay.

Good thinkin'!!
                                - Going into management?

Its not like they were pulled from my computer and I put them right back in.

They were all out of blow cheap-o psu's, the san ace was from a somehow dead little newton 90w from a gateway.

Comment

I think you missed my point.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

I don't think fans should be washed or submerged in water. The stator is made of iron and will start to rust.
                                    Instead, it's much easier to just take the fan apart and use compressed air (or toothbrush) to get most of the dust off, then use a wet towel to wipe any remaining dust and dirt. After you're done, put oil on both the axle and the sleeve bearing, then reassemble the fan.

Comment

True statement.
                                      And machined iron gets that nasty flaky rust that's magnetic gets all over inside moving parts.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ

Good thinkin'!!
                                        - Going into management?

Not quit the same. But most RC enthusiasts break in electric 540 motors under water to seat the brushes.
                                        ^Learning to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace,

Comment

Working...
                                        X