Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red light but no power - alba tv please help

Dear all,

I have an alba tv, and it will not turn on.

The red standby light is solid, but when I click the power button on the remote or the set; It will not do anything at all.

I have opened it up and can see two capacitors have a reddish dust on them. Do these need changing?

Re: Red light but no power - alba tv please help

Model #? Pictures of the boards and of the suspect capacitors?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Model #? Pictures of the boards and of the suspect capacitors?

Hello I am not with the TV right now, but I will definitely update this thread with the model number as soon as I can.

I have attached an image so you can see the suspect cap.
      Attached Files

Comment

Just looks like factory markings, nothing wrong with that - also looks like that power board outputs one voltage only which is always available so you can check to see if that is testing OK.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply.

How would I test it.

I literally can't see what else could be wrong with it.
          Any suggestions what could be the problem and the solution?

Comment

You would need a digital multimeter, do you have one or could you borrow one? A relatively inexpensive bit of kit; Maplin sell them for under £10 each.

Comment

I have one.

But never used it to test a board.

Any advice?

Comment

Post a picture first, then we can guide you through.

Comment

Perhaps update your profile with country and voltage so we know what voltages we are dealing with.
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                    Perhaps update your profile with country and voltage so we know what voltages we are dealing with.
                    I'm not sure what the line voltage would be for United Kingdom?

Comment

The model number is: ATVD91216B

Comment

Here's some images:

Last edited by SmartestSmarty; 04-16-2014, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Prolly find its the mainboard thats at fault. Confirm there's 12v coming from that PSU first...

The pins on the PSU are marked what they are...
                          TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                          http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                          PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

How would I test it? what settings would I use?
                            Last edited by SmartestSmarty; 04-16-2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

post a picture up of your multimeter then we will advise what setting to have it on and how to test etc.

Comment

You would need a digital multimeter, do you have one or could you borrow one? A relatively inexpensive bit of kit; Maplin sell them for under £10 each.
                                Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                post a picture up of your multimeter then we will advise what setting to have it on and how to test etc.
                                Thanks.

Last edited by SmartestSmarty; 04-16-2014, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Plug Black lead in COM,Red lead in VmA above it, Set meter to V-20 to the left of off,Black probe to any fixing screw on power board, Red probe on wire connector next to caps start with top red wire and work down, and let us know what the meter reads Flocko

Comment

Originally posted by flocko View Post
                                    Plug Black lead in COM,Red lead in VmA above it, Set meter to V-20 to the left of off,Black probe to any fixing screw on power board, Red probe on wire connector next to caps start with top red wire and work down, and let us know what the meter reads Flocko
                                    Hi thanks for your reply.

All except the last two read between 0.01-0.02 for about a second and then went to 0.00.

The last two read 0.00.

The red power light is lit, I don't know if that helps?

Any suggestions whats wrong, or what to do next?
                                    Last edited by SmartestSmarty; 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM.

Comment

You can't be testing it correct then, if you get 0V there the power light would not work. Show us what your meter is set to please.

Comment

You can't be testing it correct then, if you get 0V there the power light would not work. Show us what your meter is set to please.
                                        Is this correct?

Comment

Working...
                                        X