This can't be real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This can't be real

Spotted this on an Intel 775 board. It's the only one that has popped.
    I thought Nichicon were ok caps? Just a random bad one?
    Attached Files
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: This can't be real

Whats the date code on it?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Lol yeah my intel 955 chipset voard has nichi hm with an 04 datecodes. But they never got a chance to fail cuz my lousy psu fried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Whats the date code on it?
        If it's still on the bench tomorrow morning I'll get back to you.
        Where should I find the date code? Other side of the cap?
        Find Nedry!

Comment

It usually look something like H0422 (2004, Week 22). Nichicon HM and HN had manufacturing defects which they fixed on 2005, so if the date code is 2005 or older, then that might explain why it failed
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That looks just like the blown Nichicon HMs that i have right here, i'm 90% sure it's the same cap. So it's from the faulty series.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The board also has Nichicon VR series which are 85C and can be a problem in poorly cooled systems.
              Even the small 4mm & 5mm fail.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

The cap is marked for "H0510", or 2005, week 10.
                Find Nedry!

Comment

It's next to a mosfet, which may get very hot. Checked the PSU?

I have a slew of ASUS 945 boards being "destroyed" by bad ASUS branded Delta PSUs. There's one particular KZG cap that cooks next to a mosfet - meaning the SATA controller stops working

I'm pretty sure the faulty PSU caps causes the mosfet to get very hot, cooking the KZG cap.

Maybe something similar has happened to you?

Edit:
                  I'm pretty sure the Nichions I pulled out of my SX280 were 05 dated. One had baked, but it is a hot box in there.

Comment

You had a fault asus psu? I need to know about that. Bexuase i have one. And i consider it high end becuae its really heavy and has good 12v ratings for 300w. Is the 300w asua the one you had tha was faulty?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      You had a fault asus psu? I need to know about that. Bexuase i have one. And i consider it high end becuae its really heavy and has good 12v ratings for 300w. Is the 300w asua the one you had tha was faulty?
                      I don't have one, I have four. Five, if you count the first one I threw out, thinking it was a one-off dud.

Open it up and check!!
                      There is a very tall, slim Capxon 2200uf 6.3v cap that usually failed.
                      There is also another one that has failed in some, think it may be a 2200uf 16v - can't remember exactly.

Comment

Was it 300w?

Comment

I believe it says it'll peak at 300w.

*Traipses off to garage to check*

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                            I believe it says it'll peak at 300w.
                            I love how cheap PSU manufacturers use that term to deceive people not in the know they see the wattage and ignore the peak after it.

So 300W for a few milliseconds before it lets out the magic smoke. Since most of these crap supplies don't have over current protection.

Where between 300W and 1W is the continuous rated wattage? We will never know probably the engineer at Wan Hung Lo corporation who made it doesn't know either. I'd fathom a guess it's between 150W and 200W.

But if they put the REAL continuous rating on the PSU nobody would buy it since it's not the 90s anymore .
                            Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-08-2010, 05:38 PM.
                            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I was right, it does say it 300w peak
                              Attached Files

Comment

Mine actually says asus in big letters imprinted on Its casing. And it has bigger heatsinks. And it has an 80mmfan on the end not the 120mm on the "bottom"???

Comment

I have verified that my psu is different. It has jamicon secondaries, bigger heatsinks, more density, etc. It also said bestec on of the transformers. So its really a decent psu. Asus s-30fp.

Comment

I have verified that my psu is different. It has jamicon secondaries, bigger heatsinks, more density, etc. It also said bestec on of the transformers. So its really a decent psu. Asus s-30fp.
                                    post pictures of that bestec built asus. I have been trying to find one for a long time now.

Comment

I have verified that my psu is different. It has jamicon secondaries, bigger heatsinks, more density, etc. It also said bestec on of the transformers.
                                      OH COOL!
                                      You might get 300W for a FULL SECOND before it lets out the magic smoke!!
                                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

Bestec power supplies can be pretty solid units. 300W is not that hard to achieve. About 70% of those 500-650W off brand chinese psu's are based off of 300W platforms that some little company in china designed with their highly trained staff of two engineers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X